iPhone international paranoia

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
Karen and I passed into Canada yesterday.

Just before the border, we pulled over and on both our iPhones went to settings.

We turned cellular data off, and for good measure turned off bluetooth and WiFi temporarily. The idea, of course, was to avoid any roaming charges.

But after crossing the bridge into Canada, Karen got an IM from AT&T to warn us about possible charges. That made us paranoid, enough that we went ahead and turned both phones off.

And just now, I turned my phone on momentarily to see a photo and saw "ROGERS" in the upper left. Turned it back off to be safe.

Whassup? Is there another setting we've missed? We'd like to use our phones as cameras and such, but to not want roaming charges.

Help!

Just turn roaming off and your fine. The phone will link up with the tower and ROGER will send that text informing you of rates but that doesn't cost money. WiFi is always free unless you agree to pay when you sign in.

Point is, use your phone. If you don't want to pay fees then just turn off roaming. You won't have data or calls though. If you find wifi then you have data.

Plus wifi is a PITA in airplane mode.

We did the same thing last year on a motorcycle trip. Verizon sent the same type of notice. Never saw any charges. We're going back next year. Verizon has a temp add on if you are traveling through Canada. Couple of bucks for both phones.

Pull the SIM?

I was just about to mention...

Airplane Mode should work, but we wanted to be able to use GPS Copilot to navigate - we downloaded Canada maps for that very reason.

But thanks!

I was just about to mention...

Airplane Mode should work, but we wanted to be able to use GPS Copilot to navigate - we downloaded Canada maps for that very reason.

But thanks!

Doesn't using the GPS require cell connection? I can't get my maps to work unless I have both GPS and cell on.

Doesn't using the GPS require cell connection? I can't get my maps to work unless I have both GPS and cell on.

I'm not sure the technical specifics, but it seems to me that cellular is only required initially. When I fly I don't go to airplane mode for this exact reason. I just turn off cellular and wifi and the GPS keeps working. If, however, I takeoff in airplane mode then the GPS doesn't work again until the device talks to a tower over cellular again.

Foreflight relies on cell service for anything other than a chart view. Forefight and Garmin Pilot rely on cell service for weather, wind, etc overlays. GPS on your iPhone does not rely on a cell connection. Select the appropriate map view and overlay settings and it'll work fine. If you want connectivity to weather info while away from cell service you can add an ADS-B receiver to get the info.

I use my At&T iPhone internationally all the time. Before I go I buy a 1 month international subscription for $30 (non-renewing). It allows me a certain amount of calling, text, and data. The overage charges are very reasonable compared to just using your phone. It is worth it to be able to stay in touch, not to mention google maps, trip advisor, etc.

Cell voice and cell data are two different animals.

When you turned off cell data (and wifi), cell voice was still active. As was texting. So no charges will accrue unless you 1) make or receive calls, or 2) send or receive texts. Official texts from the phone company (warning texts) are generally free of charge.

Verizon, unlike some other carriers, allows you to disable texts but it's a systemwide setting that you must log into their website & your account functions to change.

Voice & text while roaming in Canada are usually significantly more expensive than in the US & are not included in a standard plan.

WiFi won't matter - it's not charged through the phone company but rather through the hotspot operator (requiring authorization each use) unless the hotspot is free.

You saw 'Rogers' because the voice portion of your phone was still active.

I use my At&T iPhone internationally all the time. Before I go I buy a 1 month international subscription for $30 (non-renewing). It allows me a certain amount of calling, text, and data. The overage charges are very reasonable compared to just using your phone. It is worth it to be able to stay in touch, not to mention google maps, trip advisor, etc.
Verizon told me they do not have anything comparable.

BTW I used to get these messages regularly when flying anywhere NEAR Canadian airspace -- including in the pattern at PHN. Other than airplane mode I don't know any way to avoid them.

BTW I used to get these messages regularly when flying anywhere NEAR Canadian airspace -- including in the pattern at PHN. Other than airplane mode I don't know any way to avoid them.

IME Verizon devices never worked in Europe, so for me it was a moot point. Major downfall of Verizon IMO.

IME Verizon devices never worked in Europe, so for me it was a moot point. Major downfall of Verizon IMO.

Verizon works fine overseas as long as you have the appropriate device. Back when I had a Verizon Blackberry it worked fine in Asia/Middle East and Europe.

Thanks, Bill.

Alex, we did the International thing once when traveling in Canada for a couple weeks. Worked well and reasonably priced.

This time, we're only in Canada for about 24 hours, so it didn't seem worthwhile.

Handy would be a simple setting to turn off just the phone.

And thanks to Chock as well - did not think of pulling the SIM.

Last edited:

Verizon does have an international data plan. It's about $25 and allows a 100 MB of data.... I think you can buy in 100 MB chunks, it ends up being comparable to ATT on a per-MB basis, but you can get it in smaller chunks and save a bit if you're data-thrifty. There's a separate plan with discounted international calling, but I'm not aware of any included voice/text minutes.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.html

T-Mobile has about the best international features for now. I expect they'll end up getting acquired and revert to the same sort of pricing that the others have. Sorta like JetBlue ending up charging for checked bags.

Are you talking about map apps where the map is downloaded in advance or map apps such as Google Maps or Apple Maps where the map is streamed to you while you are using it? The GPS will know your position but without a background map it's pretty useless.

Verizon works fine overseas as long as you have the appropriate device. Back when I had a Verizon Blackberry it worked fine in Asia/Middle East and Europe.

I think my problem was that I had a CDMA only device. I believe some of the blackberry's are GSM ready. Especially if you got it through your work.

Verizon does have an international data plan. It's about $25 and allows a 100 MB of data.... I think you can buy in 100 MB chunks, it ends up being comparable to ATT on a per-MB basis, but you can get it in smaller chunks and save a bit if you're data-thrifty. There's a separate plan with discounted international calling, but I'm not aware of any included voice/text minutes.
Hmm... not sure if they lied then or if the fine print disallows what I wanted to do, which was to buy a limited add-on to my current plan for the drive from MI to VT via ON and QC, and then chuck it when I got to my destination. They told me I would be giving up my current plan (which is no longer offered) and would incur connect/disconnect fees on top of that.

I think my problem was that I had a CDMA only device. I believe some of the blackberry's are GSM ready. Especially if you got it through your work.

That is exactly it. CDMA is what doesn't work in Europe. As long as your device is GSM capable, you can get an international plan with Verizon that will work.

Hmm... not sure if they lied then or if the fine print disallows what I wanted to do, which was to buy a limited add-on to my current plan for the drive from MI to VT via ON and QC, and then chuck it when I got to my destination. They told me I would be giving up my current plan (which is no longer offered) and would incur connect/disconnect fees on top of that.

That has been Verizon's strategy for the last couple years. They were losing their butts on the unlimited data plans and they started a policy that while you are allowed to 'keep' your existing plan, anytime you want to modify/adjust or get s new device it requires you to select a new plan (ie give up your unlimited plan).

Remarkably similar to a certain national healthcare plan.

The big thing to turn off is Data Roaming.

For voice, you're charged for the minutes used in the GWN, but nothing for standby. Smartphones keep pinging data whether you look at them or not, and data roaming fees are extortionate.

That has been Verizon's strategy for the last couple years. They were losing their butts on the unlimited data plans and they started a policy that while you are allowed to 'keep' your existing plan, anytime you want to modify/adjust or get s new device it requires you to select a new plan (ie give up your unlimited plan).

Remarkably similar to a certain national healthcare plan.

The trick with VZW is to go to a contract store to activate. The VZW owned stores have a goal to kill your unlimited data at all cost, while the contract stores will help you out.

I upgraded my phone recently and kept the unlimited data without issue, even got the promo price on the phone. He did some funky stuff switching lines around and stuff with my wife's to make it work.

The trick with VZW is to go to a contract store to activate. The VZW owned stores have a goal to kill your unlimited data at all cost, while the contract stores will help you out.

I upgraded my phone recently and kept the unlimited data without issue, even got the promo price on the phone. He did some funky stuff switching lines around and stuff with my wife's to make it work.

Damn. Wish I'd known that a year ago when I upgraded my iPhone!

I do the same except I have a cheaper continuous plan (I go over there frequently enough to justify it.)

But International data roaming is off by default. There is no penalty for leaving the phone on as long as you don't answer it, or you receive an SMS text message. Most of my contacts use Viber so I can freely call them on their cell numbers with no penalty as long as I have a Wifi connection.

Sounds like they may have lacked candor with you if your current plan includes data. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. I have added and dropped the international data plan without fees a couple of times. I *think* it can be done online, but not sure. I KNOW when I turned it on, I called them and it was no issue at all. No additional fees, no loss of current plan.

You do have to take the international data for at least a full month, but can drop it right after.

The one caveat is that in order to take the international data plan, you have to have an existing domestic data plan. Voice only domestic plans don't count.

That's not quite right - you can keep your existing plans but must pay full price for the phone (no subsidized/promotional phones). Or bring your own. I picked up a "new old stock" phone on fleabay & activated it on VZ - while they initially did try to convince me to change plans, it was no problem getting them to retain the unlimited data, even moving from a 3G to 4G service. And more importantly, no contract.

(Unlike AT&T, I was able to apply a corporate discount to the existing service with no contract or change in plans. AT&T required a 2 year commitment in order to apply a corporate discount.).

Interesting.

And if y'all think this is fun & scam-bait, just try shopping for cable/satellite service sometime. You must really press hard & call them to learn the true pricing as promotional periods end.

I do the same except I have a cheaper continuous plan (I go over there frequently enough to justify it.)

But International data roaming is off by default. There is no penalty for leaving the phone on as long as you don't answer it, or you receive an SMS text message. Most of my contacts use Viber so I can freely call them on their cell numbers with no penalty as long as I have a Wifi connection.

This is an excellent point. I try and make all my calls on Skype using the hotels WIFI even with an international plan. I can talk to the U.S. from just about anywhere in Western Europe for ~.023 (2.3 cents a minute). That and the call quality is often a lot better.

I had an iPhone 4s at the time. After a trip to mexico with pre-loaded maps, I put my phone into airplane mode to prevent extra charges/fees. However, like you, discovered GPS would not work in airplane mode.

After digging around, the iPhone 4s put the mobile data and GPS features on the same chip, but doing separate functions. When you put the phone in airplane mode, it essentially disables the entire chip - hence no GPS. Since I not longer use iphones, I don't know if later versions suffer the same issue.

I had the phone for about 6 months, and after the Mexico trip, I paid my early termination fee to escape back to Android. Hey, at least I gave iPhone a shot...can't say the same about many iPhone users. :) :popcorn:

Airplane mode kills all receive/transmit functions. That's what it's intended to do.

Dad took my son with him on a road trip that included Canada this summer. I actually called AT&T beforehand to see if there was anything special I should do about their phones. (Dad is on my plan too) They tell me that they'll be fine, so I didn't give it any more thought.

On the third day into their trip I get a text from AT&T warning me of the surge in fees I'm paying. $1500 in three days, the majority of it because of all the texts my son is sending.

Dad took my son with him on a road trip that included Canada this summer. I actually called AT&T beforehand to see if there was anything special I should do about their phones. (Dad is on my plan too) They tell me that they'll be fine, so I didn't give it any more thought.

On the third day into their trip I get a text from AT&T warning me of the surge in fees I'm paying. $1500 in three days, the majority of it because of all the texts my son is sending.

Did you pay that?!?:hairraise::yikes:

I've sent some texts from Canada on AT&T. They were 50 cents each and incoming texts are free. Do you know how much per text they were charging? It should be indicated when you download your paper bill. Like a previous poster, I usually use Skype when making calls from Canada. They are something like 2-3 cents/minute as opposed to $1/minute on AT&T. I'll answer my phone if I think it's an important call and I recognize the ID or area code. I just don't chat endlessly with people or I tell them I will call back on Skype.

Last edited:

You can call AT&T and have them back date a plan change. In your case to unlimited international. Then just cancel it when you get back. I have forgotten in the past and they have sent me an alert, I called them and changed it, all is well. I just talk real nice to customer service.

You can call AT&T and have them back date a plan change. In your case to unlimited international. Then just cancel it when you get back. I have forgotten in the past and they have sent me an alert, I called them and changed it, all is well. I just talk real nice to customer service.

They did work with me and we got the bill down to around $600. Like Mari said, it was 50 cents/text. And my son likes to play around when he's texting, like sending one letter at a time, things like that. Both him and his sister send something like 5000-6000 messages a month each.

One thing about AT&T bills... you can't make heads nor tails out of them. And calling their CSRs to explain it to you doesn't help because they can't decrypt them any better than I can. To be honest, I have auto-pay and unless they go crazy on me I don't even look at the bill and don't want to.

I just dropped a MiFi account on AT&T (separate account). It couldn't have gone better. No hard pitch to try and save, just execute. Took about 2 minutes, tops.

Much better than I anticipated.

Now off to deal with XM (shudder) to drop my WxWorx service.

Back