IPAQ Pocket PC - Is it worth putting in the airplane

OtisAir

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
OtisAir
I have an old Compaq IPAQ 3970 that's sitting around and was curious if there is value in keeping it for any aviation purpose. Is anyone using one of these for anything useful?

stock photo:
compaq-ipaq-3970-pda-handhelds-0.jpg

Just curious, & thanks!

Some people like them...my experience is that pocket PCs are totally unreliable from several manufacturers.

I never use mine for anything critical. All data is backed up (as it should be anyway). I use mine mostly for alarms, quick notes that get loaded to a PC ASAP, and e-books since I can store a lot of books a small volume that is easily accessible. Also some games.

AnywhereMap has a version of its software that runs on the iPaq; if you do not opt for this, I know someone who could use that iPaq for *his* AWM installation (his iPaq is dying), so if you are interested in offloading, please PM me.

I was using a product called "EFAD2go" for a while. It puts the entire country's official EFAD on your PDA. My subscription hasn't run out yet but I quit using it now that I've got the same info from Jepp on a Q1. It was handy although there were occasions where the PDA (HP2215) would lock up and require a hard reset which would then delete the app.

http://www.pspda.com/efad2go.html

I have an old Compaq IPAQ 3970 that's sitting around and was curious if there is value in keeping it for any aviation purpose. Is anyone using one of these for anything useful?

stock photo:

Just curious, & thanks!

Seems to be a market for those over on the glider side...

http://wingsandwheels.com/page8.htm

Yes they are quite useful in a sailplane. Primarily use them to calculate the best speed to fly and the altitude required to get to various airports. They also are pretty good at calculateing winds aloft from our wind drift when we are circling.

I have never tried using one in a power plane as I didn't really see any need for one.

Brian

Attachments

• HPPanel.jpg
    HPPanel.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 5
Yeah I have an Ipaq 36xx in my plane with See You Mobile connected to my volkslogger. It's really nice to have the moving map and glide calcs.

IMG_0117.JPG

But to answer the OPs question, find a glider pilot, and he'll take that boat anchor off your hands.

Yes they are quite useful in a sailplane. Primarily use them to calculate the best speed to fly and the altitude required to get to various airports. They also are pretty good at calculateing winds aloft from our wind drift when we are circling.

I have never tried using one in a power plane as I didn't really see any need for one.

Brian

Nice photo. I notice the O2 line what alt were you? Looks like 17,000

Back