iPad vs 396 for weather in flight

N747JB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John
I have the latest iPad, whatever # they call it. I currently have a GDL69A in my 421 which is great for nexrad, but my new ride doesn't have on board nexrad.:mad2: I have a 396 with XM radio, but haven't activated the nexrad on it, just wondering if anyone is using something for the iPad, preferrably wireless, for in flight WX? :dunno:
I think the 396 is OK, but the display is pretty small and XM weather is $50.00 a month. :rolleyes:

Stratus ADS-B connects wirelessly to an iPad with Foreflight. The Stratus box is $799, but there's no monthly subscription to pay for. Only problem is, there are a few areas of the country where ADS-B is not yet available.

(The pic below is from last summer, before Foreflight had a 'track-up' option)

z-photo-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I think that is what I am looking for, I may add the GDL 69A to the new plane, when I do the inevitable avionics upgrades, but I would like something now that I can use in the 182 as well for weather. :D
I know it's battery powered, but can it be plugged into a cig lighter to charge enroute? Just in case I forget to charge it. :dunno:

Last edited:
I have the latest iPad, whatever # they call it. I currently have a GDL69A in my 421 which is great for nexrad, but my new ride doesn't have on board nexrad.:mad2: I have a 396 with XM radio, but haven't activated the nexrad on it, just wondering if anyone is using something for the iPad, preferrably wireless, for in flight WX? :dunno:
I think the 396 is OK, but the display is pretty small and XM weather is $50.00 a month. :rolleyes:
I've had a 396 with XM and am now using an experimental glass panel (GRT/HX screens) with ADSB weather via Navworx. I also use an iPad with Foreflight for geo-referenced maps and plates.

What you may want to consider is signing up for XM on 396 to check it out. I still consider that the best in cockpit weather device I've flow with. I'm sure the speed of the 496 was even better but the 396 was great... small screen notwithstanding. The G396/496 implementation included tops, winds aloft, frontal depictions and other stuff. None of the ADSB implementation include all of what XM and Garmin delivered on the 396/496.

The price can be right for ADSB once the investment is made. On my panel I get traffic, Nexrad, and METARS but like others have said, coverage is <100% and the implementation isn't as good as the 396/XM implementation in my case.

Check out the XM for a couple of months. You'll like it but you'll probably decide to move on to ADSB for the same reasons I did (traffic, futures, monthly cost).

Whatever you do, NEXRAD is gold for any serious VFR or IFR cross country work. XM on the 396 is getting old but it's still real good if you haven't flown with it before.

Oh, and Foreflight on the iPad is a killer app. Especially for IFR, paperless cockpit work. It's an integral part of my glass panel.

Am I correct that ADB-B weather info is only available once you're in the air unless you happen to be at a very large airport? Would def be an advantage to an XM receiver that you can use from the ground. Course, if you have an iPad you could get the dataplan and download weather that way on the ground...

I won't have the plane for another week or two so, I may just activate the XM on my 396 for now and see how I like it. I really hate having the wires in the cockpit, but I do like having the XM radio on longer flights. :D

Am I correct that ADB-B weather info is only available once you're in the air unless you happen to be at a very large airport? Would def be an advantage to an XM receiver that you can use from the ground. Course, if you have an iPad you could get the dataplan and download weather that way on the ground...
I dont know. I fly out of 8nc8 where cell coverage can be a challenge but I now get METAR info on the ground before engine start. I guess I get NEXRAD too.

But about 6 months ago I was debugging an ADSB coverage issue where I could not get ADSB coverage from 8NC8 to final at KTTA. However once on the ground, I would suddenly get full ADSB support during my rollout. One obtained, I would continue to get support until landing back at 8NC8 (!!??). Not believing what I was experiencing, I did it 3 times and got the same results. After spending a couple of hours with a local ADSB equipment vendor, I concluded that it was due to ADSB deployment 'stuff'. The vendor seemed to know what was happening but I was unable to comprehend the explanation. A few weeks later, I had support on the ground at 8NC8.

ADSB is clearly where we all will be going. I would say that if you have a glass panel mount MDF to display it on, do that. Failing that, get it on an iPad or aTablet along with ForeFlight or WingX or whatever. XM on Garmin seems superior to the ADSB implentations I've seen but I haven't seen much. The monthly cost will kill that for most of us.

Bill "remember Cheap Bastard, the real NEXRAD pioneer" Watson

I won't have the plane for another week or two so, I may just activate the XM on my 396 for now and see how I like it. I really hate having the wires in the cockpit, but I do like having the XM radio on longer flights. :D

I miss the XM Radio too.

I've had XM on my 530W and my 396 for many years. I personally like the 396 mounted to the yoke for easy radar and AWOS viewing as well as many other in flight chores. I rarely do anything with the 530 weather dispaly other than leave the radar on the main NAV screen. The 396/496 is really convenient, easy to use with one hand. I personally hate touch screens.

I have an IPAD with foreflight but find it a royal PIA to handle during flight especially with a co-pilot/passenger. Just too bulky. I guess I could get a mount but the Ipad is pretty large.

I have an IPAD with foreflight but find it a royal PIA to handle during flight especially with a co-pilot/passenger. Just too bulky. I guess I could get a mount but the Ipad is pretty large.
Yes it is. I spent an enormous amount of time building a center console for my RV 10 to 1) house an O2 tank and 2) mount my iPad in a convient place with a RAM mount.

Wish I had a decent photo but it's been working great...
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...er&project=224&category=8533&log=163121&row=1

I had a tough time mounting my beloved 396 conviently in my old Maule. Can't imagine how I would have gotten an IPad in there except for in my lap.

My iPad costs me $10/mo to be added to my Verizon FamilyShare plan. Well worth it.

With a RAM suction mount I've stuck the full size iPad to a side window in a Jabiru, C150, Cherokees, Bonanza, Mooneys, Baron and Duke without a problem. In the Bo I like the band-type RAM mount set close to the center point of yoke (either dual or throw over). That is the ideal position for the iPad in the center of the panel.

I know it's battery powered, but can it be plugged into a cig lighter to charge enroute? Just in case I forget to charge it. :dunno:
Yep; mine's plugged into the lighter all the time.

Am I correct that ADB-B weather info is only available once you're in the air unless you happen to be at a very large airport?
True, but as noted you can usually get the data on the ground via 3G before firing up the ADS-B.

But one point in favor of XM ... last year I was camping with a group of other pilots at an airstrip in a remote Idaho canyon. No phone, no internet, no cell service; couldn't even see the sky beyond the closest ridge. For three days the Garmin 496 with XM in my Sport Cub was the only source of any weather data for the whole group for preflight planning. ADS-B can't do that.

Agreed. I tried the iPad on a yoke mount for several long trips in the 172. It worked, but it was a little awkward. Now I just put an iPhone on the yoke mount for basic magenta-line tracking and weather scanning, and keep the iPad in the side pocket and use it the way I'd use a paper chart. A Foreflight subscription includes one iPad and one iPhone; and they both work simultaneously on the Stratus' built-in Wi-Fi connection.

IMG_2908.JPG

SAM_0018.JPG

Last edited:
Back