iPad remote desktop

Skylane81E

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Duncan
I'm looking for an app for my iPad to connect it to my windows 7 "home" equipped pc.

Basically wat I'm after is to be able to operate the speakers on my porch and the wires run into the same room as my pc, so if I hooked them to my pc and coud control it from my iPad...

Ummmmmmmmm...connect the speakers to your ipad?????

I hate to mention Apple, but Apple has a remote app that controls itunes via iPad or iPhone and it has a volume slider also. Controls iTunes on your PC via wifi. Free to.

David

I hate to mention Apple, but Apple has a remote app that controls itunes via iPad or iPhone and it has a volume slider also. Controls iTunes on your PC via wifi. Free to.

David

Can't imagine why you'd hate to mention something which sounds like exactly what's needed. Maybe.

---

For remote desktop solutions, I use LogMeIn.com and it works very well.

Good wireless way to do this?

Let me get the scenario straight. You have speakers out on your porch. You are going to be sitting out on your porch. You are going to run the speakers back into the house, to remotely control them from where you currently are - sitting right next to them?

Sounds like standing next to the TV and rather than hit the power button on the TV, you walk 15' across the living room to turn off the TV with the remote. Plug the speakers right into the iPad, problem solved.

Let me get the scenario straight. You have speakers out on your porch. You are going to be sitting out on your porch. You are going to run the speakers back into the house, to remotely control them from where you currently are - sitting right next to them?

Sounds like standing next to the TV and rather than hit the power button on the TV, you walk 15' across the living room to turn off the TV with the remote. Plug the speakers right into the iPad, problem solved.

Correct, but that's the way the system is wired.

Now why they ran the wires for those speakers into an UPSTAIRS bedroom IDK but they did. If I had installed them I'd have run the wires into the living room so I could just point a remote into the front door and control it, but alas rewiring the house doesn't seem like the best option.

David

Can't imagine why you'd hate to mention something which sounds like exactly what's needed. Maybe.

---

For remote desktop solutions, I use LogMeIn.com and it works very well.

I will check these out, thanks!

And neither will any other product, as Windows "home edition" doesn't include RDP. Unless you install something that has client-side software, like LogMeIn.

what I was afraid of, LogMeIn is sounding like a winner

I've downloaded the apple remote, now I just need to figgure out how to make it work!

I've downloaded the apple remote, now I just need to figgure out how to make it work!

Go into your iTunes preferences - You have to enable it and "pair" it with your device. Otherwise the neighbor kids would be messing with your playlists. ;)

Options: What you just set up will let you remote control iTunes only. If your PC tunes are in iTunes, great.

VNC (any flavor) will give you desktop control over any PC, Mac, Linux box from the iPad. Free. Must be on the same network or do some port forwarding to do it from away from home. By default it's not encrypted but there are ways to do that too if you're worried about it.

Someone mentioned RDP, Microsoft's flavor of remote desktop stuff. I avoid buying "Home" versions of MSFT OS's now for just this one feature. Pro and Enterprise versions do it out of the box. (As does Apple on ALL of their ONE version of their OS, have a built-in way to do desktop sharing, but I digress...)

AirTunes: Some of the Apple WiFi access points have speaker connections right on them. Any iTunes device on a Mac or iOS can output to those remote speakers. (Or AppleTV...)

Run a cord from the iPad to the speakers right next to you. Turn on AirTunes and stream anything in the desktop iTunes to the iPad if it doesn't have your entire music collection on it already. ;)

I just didn't want to stir up an Apple love/hate conversation. I only have an iPhone and iPad so not a devotee yet.

David

I stuck with Apple options assuming you're using music files in their format and their DRM.

If the files are standard MP3 there are lots and lots of other options. I had a remote control made by Creative Labs that would do MP3 streams from any machine that could do SMB (Windows) filesharing of the files to a little desktop unit with speaker/line out plugs on it a couple years before iTunes existed.

Your specs were to do it from the iPhone so I limited my answers. There's great whole house streaming audio solutions out there too. Especially for Windows. Wireless speakers, touchpad remote controls. Etc.

Just sayin' shop around a bit. It's a huge sector in the personal tech market.

A used Bose iPod dock can really crank tunes well from an iPhone. Won't charge it, though. I have a little iPod dock that the iPhone can also drop into, hooked into the living room stereo that has an RF remote for all music playback functions. Works great from the back porch.

Tons and tons of options.

Well let me do what I should have at at the beginning.

Here's what I have set up. On my porch there are speakers in the ceiling hardwired to the house. These wires come out into an upstairs bedroom where we have our desktop set up.

ITunes has most of our music in it so once i get the remote working...

Just need to get the system set up so its stops saying "could not find"

Does your wifi router have a feature to block wifi clients from talking to each other? Is the desktop wifi or wired?

desktop is wired, I know there is communication because when I enter the code from the ipad into itunes the ipad starts searching as soon as I press enter on the desktop.

checking router settings now...

Do you know what I mean if I ask what IP addresses your desktop and the IPad have and where to find that info? (Trying to determine if they're really on the same internal LAN address space.)

Weird. I hadn't used it in a while so I fired up Remote on both the iPhone and iPad.

You have to add the desktop machine to the list of libraries you want to control. That's step one on the phone. It sounds like you've done that? Usually it can auto-detect any machines running shared libraries on the local LAN.

Since you're using iTunes on Windows, is Windows Firewall blocking it?

https://discussions.apple.com/message/13353933?messageID=13353933

This has a pile of things to check...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1741

I've got Home Sharing turned on for other reasons, but I don't think that's required for Remote...

Home sharing is required according to the instructions for remote, and I've got it on. I'll check out the windows firewall when I get home tonight.

Something is blocking it becasue I have an app for watching tv on my iPad so long as I'm connected to the cable internet that's hooked to the same cable as my TV, it isn't working either.

I'm sure I'll find some dumb switch I need to flick and it will work, but I don't get along very well with software.

A lot of consumer grade wifi AP/routers block communications between different wireless clients for "security". The idea is that if someone hacks into your wifi they can't get to your laptop.

Some even take it so far as to block wireless and wired machines from talking to each other without going through the firewall ruleset.

On those, all machines can get to the Net but not to other machines that are local.

It's retarded.

Because, you know... You wouldn't want a network to let computers talk to each other or anything crazy like that. ;)

Look for something that says "wifi client isolation" or something like that.

What model router is it? There's sites that have screenshots of all the models so people cam help others. I've successfully "configured" a few folks routers just by looking at those.

I just didn't want to stir up an Apple love/hate conversation. I only have an iPhone and iPad so not a devotee yet.

David

Resistance is futile

Real VNC Free Server - runs fine on Vista Home Premium

Mocha VNC Lite on the IPad. I use it at home and at work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Broke down and picked up logmein. Love it, also set up on the maint computer at work so I can pull up all the electronic manuals.

iPad now even more versatile.

Back