iPad on the yoke...landscape or portrait?

Artimas

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Artimas
I have an iPad mini on my yoke in the landscape position. I like it, except for reading approach plates. But the plates are "OK", so overall landscape works well for me.

What say you?

I use landscape. Easier to zoom in. Sometimes I use portrait when I feel like a nut.

I have an Android tablet. I don't use it much in flight, but when I do, I like portrait. Map on top half, HSI-ish thing on the bottom half.

For anyone who prefers "Track Up", I think portrait is the logical mode, allowing you to see farther ahead.

What's in front of you tends to be more important than stuff to the sides.

For "North Up" people, it probably makes little difference.

For anyone who prefers "Track Up", I think portrait is the logical mode, allowing you to see farther ahead.

iPad Mini Retina shown here in my Sky Arrow:

11799571524_741c356402.jpg

What's in front of you tends to be more important than stuff to the sides.

For "North Up" people, it probably makes little difference.

If literally on a yoke, portrait may block instruments.

No reason not to try it both ways - no accounting for taste.

I was in a position where I had to replace my Ipad. I decided against a mini, which I would have mounted to the yoke for another full size one (Ipad 4) resting on my lap, which seems to work fine. I agree with the track up, portrait mode; I do that myself.

Landscape, more because in portrait my sunglasses and the iPad polarize together and I'm looking at a black screen :(

Probably true - and my Ray Bans are not. But I have this old pair of Maui Jims that I just can't seem to part with....

Polarized are discouraged while flying because sunlight glinting off a plane is often the only way to spot them and polarized glasses reduce the glint, making other airplanes harder to spot

Back