IPad mount location in Cherokee 140?

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
142859dfb02ee6f246eed313f97adec6.jpg

I usually mount my iPad mini on the yoke using my Ram Mount and it works decent enough.. but I hate charging it on long flights with it on the yoke..

I have been thinking about moving it to the center of the glare shield using a suction cup mount attached to the window.. (I don't think the glare shield mount would work well in my 68 Cherokee due to how soft the top of the shield/dash is)

Has anyone mounted a small tablet there in a Cherokee or similar?

Does anyone have any pics on mounting it in the center of the glareshield barely hanging over the edge? Thoughts / suggestions ?

Thanks!!

Sometimes in the grumman tiger it was a little close on the Yoke (although I went back cause it keeps my head down near the gauges for ifr) so I rigged up a dual suction cup mount out of ram parts.

I wanted (2) suction cups but found the Ram dual suction adapter was flat and the window was curved so I took a piece of 1/8 x 1" aluminum from the hardware store and mounted the suction cups to one side and a 1" ball mount to the other then bent it to fit the curve.

It also works great on my friends piper RH window when co-pilot.

The pictures aren't great and don't pay attention to the wide angle , but it gets the idea across.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 170
  • BSD_2361.JPG
    BSD_2361.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 160
Nice... I really want to mount mine in the center.. Where did you get the double suction cup or was that all fabricated?

Does anyone have any pics on mounting it in the center of the glareshield barely hanging over the edge? Thoughts / suggestions ?

Thanks!!

Be careful about center mounting, I have tried mounting it in the center on 2 different planes and it made the compass read 15-20 degrees off when it was anywhere near it. :(

Nice... I really want to mount mine in the center.. Where did you get the double suction cup or was that all fabricated?

All the parts are ram except for the center strap that I drilled a few holes in to mount the ball and suction cups.

Careful on center mounting relative to magnetic compass, mine was bad.

The very best mount for an ipad that I've found to date, mounts it to the display at the store. And leave it there. :)

... Has anyone mounted a small tablet there in a Cherokee or similar? ...
Best place I have found in various PA28s and others is suction cup to the pilot's side window. Kept a little low, it does not block the view yet it is right under my nose making the small screen easy to read. In fact it is easier to read than a larger screen way down on a kneeboard.

IMO a center windshield mount (even if it could be done reliably) blocks too much of the view and a yoke mount blocks too much of the panel. Yoke mounting is particularly problematic on a PA-28 due to tach and MP locations.

I found some where I had it didn't block the view much at all like I thought it would.. As for the ipad... If Garmin would develop their Android platform as much as the iOS I would happily go back to Nexus 7!!

Just my personal preference, but I like the yoke mount. Keeps it close to my scan area. I guess you get used to wherever you put it.

I found it was almost opposite.. It kept my head up (I only had to move my eyes over to look at it) as opposed to my head down towards the yoke..

I am going to try and move it a little more further down.. Maybe an inch... I am hoping I can do this and still access the transponder..

The only problem I had was when I got back form my 3 hour flight it overheated because of the sun light (it was fine for 3 hours)

It think it would be fine up in the cool air but on the ground in the sun (80 degrees) it didn't like it...

I found it was almost opposite.. It kept my head up (I only had to move my eyes over to look at it) as opposed to my head down towards the yoke..

I am going to try and move it a little more further down.. Maybe an inch... I am hoping I can do this and still access the transponder..

The only problem I had was when I got back form my 3 hour flight it overheated because of the sun light (it was fine for 3 hours)

It think it would be fine up in the cool air but on the ground in the sun (80 degrees) it didn't like it...

I may be wired together wrong, but everytime I turned my head left or right during instrument training, the plane would start turning that direction, also. :lol:

I never have that problem .. I can fly better staring at the instruments but still do pretty well looking outside :goofy:

My instructor used to get aggravated when he tried to get me disoriented during unusual attitude training or hood time...

I have my 7 inch Avmap GPS mounted to the two trim screws located at the lower left corner of the windshield. The two screws in the small piece of trim are perfectly spaced for a RAM oblong ball mount with two screw holes. Just replace the screws with longer ones and it holds firm. Add a short coupler to it and clamp it to your Ipad mount. Does not block your vision and is right below your line of sight so a slight glance down and your are instantly focused on it. It just falls right into your scan. You can adjust it up or down easily and it is not in the way. In my plane the only thing it blocks is the clock which I do not use anyway. As an added bonus I installed a flat plate where the autopilot would go if I had one ( sure wish I did ) . I the installed two lighter plugs in this plate and plug in the GPS and weather unit. No cords hanging and all is neat and tidy. The new lighter plugs are simply wired to the existing lighter socket since I did not need more amperage just a better location. This means no new breaker is needed and is able to be signed off by any A & P as a minor alteration with just a log book entry. I love the setup and it is perfect for me. If needed I can take some pics, just let me know.

Back