iPad mini - Windscreen/windshield Mounts

flav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
David
I'm looking for a suction cup style iPad mount that combines great holding power with flexibility in mounting positions.
Ram seems to have the best suction mount but they don't have a holder available for the iPad mini available until mid March. Link :mad:
Deohako has a nice case and flex hose style mount but the suction cup looks weak. Link :rolleyes2:
MyGoFlight doesn't seem to have the knee-board sport available for the iPad mini. Link :nonod:

Anyone have a suggestions based on actual first hand experience in using a glass suction mount with a case for the iPad mini? :dunno:

yes, you need the ram x-grip mount for 7inch tablets.

i'll post the part numbers later today or tomorrow. basically you can order everything separately through amazon

I'd think that the X-type RAM holder would work for the iPod mini as well as it does for my Nex7

Check www.ForPilotsOnly.com. (Disclosure - this is my company.) We have a brand new aluminum kneeboard for the iPad mini called the iPro Aviator/M. We call it the "slash mike". Price is $79.95 and begins shipping next week.

iAm-edge01-590.jpg

For a yoke or suction cup mount, look at our new iPro Navigator. It includes an articulating clipboard that can swing up and slide into postion on top, acting as a sunshade for your mini. Your tablet easily slides in and out of the mount. It will sell for $69.95 and will ship around the end of this month. It uses standard RAM hardware.

front-view.jpg

side-view-2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Pana-Vise base with a RAM iPad mini holder. I attach it to the canopy just above and forward of the side vent/window.

I used to use the PanaVise to hold my AERA 501 and it never came loose in over 5 years of flying in my 182S and now my DA40.

Attachments

• ipad mount_2013 02 06_0890_edited-2.jpg
    ipad mount_2013 02 06_0890_edited-2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 52
  • iPad Mini in DA40.jpg
    iPad Mini in DA40.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 72
I have a Pana-Vise base with a RAM iPad mini holder. I attach it to the canopy just above and forward of the side vent/window.

I used to use the PanaVise to hold my AERA 501 and it never came loose in over 5 years of flying in my 182S and now my DA40.

I really like that setup! My problem is this. I'm a student at MTSU, and fly a different DA40 every time I go up. I'd like a mount like that, but one that I can move from plane to plane.

I really like that setup! My problem is this. I'm a student at MTSU, and fly a different DA40 every time I go up. I'd like a mount like that, but one that I can move from plane to plane.

The PanaVise is a suction cup mount attached to the canopy. Install time - approx 10 seconds.

According to RAM's website, they are shipping now. I was about to order one.

http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/ramipadminimount/tabid/4517/Default.aspx
I just spoke to the RAM rep because even though the website says it's available once you place it in the cart it comes up as not available. :dunno:
The RAM rep says it won't be available till mid March, so I'll wait to order it then. :(

The exact model I'm looking to get is the RAM TAB DOCK-N-LOCK™ Model
so if you're looking at a different model it may very well be available, but I would check with them directly before you order.

I use a yoke mount which is recycled from an old Magellan GPS I got in the early 90s. Just slapped a patch of velcro in the back of my mini. I am not a fan of putting anything in my limited field of view in either the 172 or the 310.

I just spoke to the RAM rep because even though the website says it's available once you place it in the cart it comes up as not available. :dunno:
The RAM rep says it won't be available till mid March, so I'll wait to order it then. :(

The exact model I'm looking to get is the RAM TAB DOCK-N-LOCK™ Model
so if you're looking at a different model it may very well be available, but I would check with them directly before you order.

I bought one of these the other day at GPS City.

It appears that they do have the RAM-HOL-TAB11U ready to ship on the 11th of February.
But unfortunately the model I'm looking for is the RAM-HOL-TABL11U and that one won't be
available till the end of February, but at least that is sooner than the date that the people at RAM gave me.
So I guess I'll wait and see which one has it first.:dunno:

+1 for the RAM X-Grip. It might not be as pretty as a device specific solution, but it keeps you flexible in case you want to buy another tablet in the future.

When I'm using it, I can even leave my Nexus 7 in its protective cover.

Cheers,

Oliver

Well I finally went ahead and purchased the RAM mount from GPS City since they had better prices than the RAM website.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RAM Mount Apple iPad mini Tab-Dock Tablet Cradle RAM-HOL-TAB11U $20.19

RAM Mount Cradle Plate Suction Mount RAM-B-166U $30.36

RAM Mount Roto-View Adapter Plate for Tablets RAM-HOL-ROTO1U $21.02
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: $71.57
Shipping & Handling: $9.85
Total: $81.42 USD

RAM-HOL-TAB11U.jpg

Well I finally went ahead and purchased the RAM mount from GPS City since they had better prices than the RAM website.

RAM Mount Apple iPad mini Tab-Dock Tablet Cradle RAM-HOL-TAB11U $20.19

Is the Mini cradle shipping finally?

Is the Mini cradle shipping finally?
It sure is, I just received mine via FedEx this morning.:)
After a quick check out I have found a few issues that I would like to pass along to anyone considering the RAM mount.

First and foremost this mount is par for the course from RAM if you are familiar with their products.
I purchased the mount with the suction mount so that I could attach it to the window, but after trying it on some
glass surfaces around the house I feel that I would be very hesitant in doing so in the cockpit.
The suction cup has failed every time and that was in a static environment with no turbulence to shake it around.
The suction mount leaves a lot to be desired, it is not nearly as strong a bond as the GoPro suction mounts.
My recommendation is to go with one of their clamp style mounts if you really want to keep it secure.
The other issue is that the Home button is much harder to reach because of the small opening that could easily have
been made much larger without compromising the holding strength of the clamps.
The instructions are vague at best, but then again what guy uses instructions anyway? :dunno:

Final thoughts... This will work for now but I will continue to seek a better alternative for mounting my iPad mini in the cockpit.

8492750481_019df78732_c_d.jpg

Have you tried simply setting it in your lap? I was shopping and ready to pay LOTS of money for a mount and was investigating them. In the meantime I made a flight with the IPad setting in my lap and it worked GREAT! Mine is in a leather keyboard case so it doesn't slip around on my lap. I'm sure they make a rubber case that you can get for little or nothing that will keep it from slipping around in your lap.

You should try it in your lap just once before deciding on and laying out cash for a mount. Trying it won't cost a thing.

My $0.02,

So what's with the guillotine atop the yoke?

Just thinking about what will happen when your face or neck hits that thing in a crash.

Engineers addressed that issue in the very beginning of the design phase. The clipboard will easily slide forward, out of the way, if pushed forward. If any appreciable force is applied from the top, it is designed to break away from the track. We didn't overlook this stuff.

www.ForPilotsOnly.com for more pictures.

It sure is, I just received mine via FedEx this morning.:)

Good to hear!

I purchased the mount with the suction mount so that I could attach it to the window, but after trying it on some
glass surfaces around the house I feel that I would be very hesitant in doing so in the cockpit.
The suction cup has failed every time and that was in a static environment with no turbulence to shake it around.
The suction mount leaves a lot to be desired, it is not nearly as strong a bond as the GoPro suction mounts.
My recommendation is to go with one of their clamp style mounts if you really want to keep it secure.

I use a suction mount for an iPad 1 (MUCH larger and heavier than the mini, though I wouldn't use "large" or "heavy" to describe it...) and I have no problems. I use it mostly in my car and the DA40. Are you using the "twist-to-suck" function? Generally if I just leave the suction mount in my car it'll stay on for at least a couple of weeks before it needs to be reset.

Have you tried simply setting it in your lap? I was shopping and ready to pay LOTS of money for a mount and was investigating them. In the meantime I made a flight with the IPad setting in my lap and it worked GREAT! Mine is in a leather keyboard case so it doesn't slip around on my lap. I'm sure they make a rubber case that you can get for little or nothing that will keep it from slipping around in your lap.

You should try it in your lap just once before deciding on and laying out cash for a mount. Trying it won't cost a thing.

My $0.02,
+1
I bought mine at Sam's club ($24.95 I think) then spent about $8 at a fabric store for elastic and clips. Now I have a "kneeboard" that works really well. It is very hard for me to pick up anything off the floor while flying so I wanted it attached. The elastic is thin enough to go between the cover and the iPad mini without a problem.

Are you using the "twist-to-suck" function?
Yes, that's the one.

Generally if I just leave the suction mount in my car it'll stay on for at least a couple of weeks before it needs to be reset.
It might be the semi-porous aluminum surface that I've been trying to mount it to.:dunno:
I will try it in the car tomorrow and see if it holds on the windshield to and from work and sitting in the hot Florida sun throughout the day.

I bought an OtterBox Defender series case on Amazon for $34 when I got my mini two weeks ago. After consulting with my local Ram distributor about how to integrate with the yoke mount I already owned for my 496 (and hearing about the shipping delays), I decided on a homebrew. I removed the spring loaded 'stand' mechanism from the cover of the OtterBox. Then I took the standard Ram mount off the back of the cradle for the 496. I used the Ram mount as a template and located the proper spots to drill holes in the center of the OtterBox cover (using a 5/32" drill bit allows for the screws from the Ram mount to self-tap in the plastic of the OtterBox cover). I added two fender washers to spread the load, then the nylocks from the Ram mount. Cost efficient and sturdy.

otter1a.jpg

otter2a.jpg

otter3a.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting DIY catmandu... Any pictures of finished product?

Sorry, ran out of time last night as I am a picture editing / storing klutz. I edited my post to include photos. Looks like the new Amazon price on the Defender is now $41 with free shipping, guess I got lucky.

Back