Ipad mini charging problem

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
My iPad mini 6 had decided that it will only charge if I restart it.

Once the charger cord is removed, it will not charge again until restarted. This occurs with several combinations of cords and power supplies, including the factory provided set. I updated the software this evening, and no change. This started about a month ago. Has anyone else had this issue?

I did buy the extended apple care on it. The only remotely close service center is a "best buy". I don't know that I have high confidence. How painful will it be trying to get this fixed?

Contact Apple directly at the 800 number.

Make sure you are using a Apple charger/cord, and ask a friend to borrow theirs to see if it makes a difference.
If there’s a Apple store around you, go there.

The problem started a month ago? What changed a month ago? Look through the update history, your App Store history, etc, and see if you can figure out what changed a month ago. Start deleting apps that changed/updated or were installed a month ago when the problem started.

I've never had your specific problem, but I had a problem about a year ago where suddenly, my iphone would no longer sense its orientation unless I restarted it, then after a bit it wouldn't sense orientation again ... I thought it was the actual sensor that was the problem, but it turned out to be an update to a particular app that messed it up and "locked" the position without it actually being locked.

The problem started a month ago? What changed a month ago? Look through the update history, your App Store history, etc, and see if you can figure out what changed a month ago. Start deleting apps that changed/updated or were installed a month ago when the problem started.

I've never had your specific problem, but I had a problem about a year ago where suddenly, my iphone would no longer sense its orientation unless I restarted it, then after a bit it wouldn't sense orientation again ... I thought it was the actual sensor that was the problem, but it turned out to be an update to a particular app that messed it up and "locked" the position without it actually being locked.

And then there’s a complete factory reset (what you would do before selling it), make sure you have backed it up.

Reminds me, one of these days I need to remove all my old unused stuff.

I should say that this is the only apple product I own. The only app installed on it is garmin pilot, which has been on there since the day after I bought it. I live equidistant from St. Louis, Chicago, and Indianapolis, which are the nearest apple stores.

Charging has been wonky on it every since that update a year or so ago that screwed up charging on all of them, but up until now, trying different combinations of cords/ power supplies would eventually work. The repeatable "restart to recharge" issue is recent. I only touch the thing when I'm going to go fly, about once a week, so I'm not all that familiar with it. I'll see if I can find the update history, and a factory reset sounds like a good idea too.

Try cleaning the power port carefully with a wood or plastic toothpick. Sometimes it gets a bit of lint in there. My not be your issue and the suggestion of a full factory reset is also potentially good one.

My iPad mini 6 had decided that it will only charge if I restart it.

Once the charger cord is removed, it will not charge again until restarted. This occurs with several combinations of cords and power supplies, including the factory provided set. I updated the software this evening, and no change. This started about a month ago. Has anyone else had this issue?

I did buy the extended apple care on it. The only remotely close service center is a "best buy". I don't know that I have high confidence. How painful will it be trying to get this fixed?
Did you have another mini before this? Has nothing to do with this. Just wondering what you think about the new screen and the different height to width layout compared to the old.

Did you have another mini before this? Has nothing to do with this. Just wondering what you think about the new screen and the different height to width layout compared to the old.
haha, no the last apple product I bought was an iphone 3s

In other news, factory reset didn't solve the issue. Guess I'm going to have to call someone :sigh:

Hmmm, maybe try turning off Optimized Battery Charging

launch the Settings app on your ‌iPhone‌ or iPad, then scroll down and tap Battery. On the next screen, select Battery Health, and then toggle the switch next to Optimized Battery Charging

One thing to watch out for is that, in the case of most apple equipment, the lightning socket on the device has only got pins on one side. This means that a failure in the cable/plug can result in the cable working one way up and not the other. I have one cable here that I have marked so that it can be used the right way up. Was very confusing for a while.

If it spends most of its time plugged in, optimized battery charging will prevent it from charging above 80%, which is a good thing for battery longevity; turning it off isn't a good idea. Turning on low power mode is a good idea, though.

the lightning socket on the device has only got pins on one side
The mini 6 doesn't have a Lightning port.

Well, it's started working again now, so there goes my consistent problem. This is after a factory reset and allowing the battery to drop to 90% or so. Re-installing Pilot now, that will be the only thing on there.

launch the Settings app on your ‌iPhone‌ or iPad, then scroll down and tap Battery. On the next screen, select Battery Health, and then toggle the switch next to Optimized Battery Charging
I can't find "optimized charging" on mine. Maybe they did away with that option on the 6?

The mini 6 doesn't have a Lightning port.
Correct, it's a USB-C, like literally everything else I own, which is one of the reasons I waited until the 6 came out. I have had some cables that will only work in one orientation though; usually the first sign they are about shot. I did clean out the charge port in one of my early troubleshooting steps a few weeks ago. Stupid thing started charging and I though that was the issue, but it soon started acting up again. I'm starting to think that it just likes attention.

…I can't find "optimized charging" on mine. Maybe they did away with that option on the 6?

Settings > Battery > Battery Health & Charging

If you just try searching for Optimized Battery Charging, it will not show up for some reason.

If you’ve got an in-force apple care+, call the phone number…they have an option to send you a new device with a box to send the old one back in.

Settings > Battery > Battery Health & Charging

If you just try searching for Optimized Battery Charging, it will not show up for some reason.

If you’ve got an in-force apple care+, call the phone number…they have an option to send you a new device with a box to send the old one back in.

My 2017 ipad doesn’t have that option FWIW.

Back