iPad Mini 5 Screen Darkness with Garmin Pilot

Leo Langston

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
llangston1
I went flying yesterday and had trouble seeing my iPad mini 5 screen running Garmin Pilot. This was around noon so it was getting hot. But the iPad was on the panel charger and I wasn’t getting and overheating shutdown warnings. The screen brightness was at full brightness and GP was in day mode. But the screen was basically unreadable. The pic looks better than what I could actually see. Are there any options to lighten up the colors of the GP map. This dark green becomes almost black. I know that when I used FF the screen colors were never this dark. I may have to switch back to FF if this is the best I can do with GP on my iPad. Do iPad screens go dim as they get hotter or older. This one is about 4 yrs old now. Will a cooling mount (Xnaut?) solve the problem?

Attachments

• IMG_2941.jpeg
    IMG_2941.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 14
Try the Sectional as your base map. Also, do you have polarized sunglasses?

So does the 6 have a brighter or better screen than the 5? I don’t have polarized sunglasses just the photochromatic lenses of my glasses. This is really the first time I noticed that the iPad screen was unreadable. The iPad was warm but not to the point of shutting down. I will try the sectional map next flight. The sectionals are usually too cluttered for me. Now I am glad I got the Aspen 2000 with the MFD so I have a moving map just for times like this.

I have also noticed that my iPhone 11 screen does the same thing. As soon as I go out in bright sunlight the screen goes dark even though the brightness is on max high. I can hardly see my phone screen in the bright sun.

So does the 6 have a brighter or better screen than the 5? I don’t have polarized sunglasses just the photochromatic lenses of my glasses. This is really the first time I noticed that the iPad screen was unreadable. The iPad was warm but not to the point of shutting down. I will try the sectional map next flight. The sectionals are usually too cluttered for me. Now I am glad I got the Aspen 2000 with the MFD so I have a moving map just for times like this.
First, make sure an update to iPad or GP didn’t change your screen settings.

yes, the Mini 6 display is better. Totally usable with polarized lenses. FWIW, my transitions lenses are polarized.

Back