iPad in C150 cockpit?

AMD[H]unter

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AMD[H]unter
Hey guys, I'm a newb around here and have been looking into getting an iPad and a mount for use in my C150A. My only concern is the sheer lack of space in the cockpit. For this reason I have considered a small Android tablet; I already have a couple good Android apps one of which is a subscription.

Anyway, does anyone around here have experience with an iPad in a 150? Short of laying it in the seat beside me or having pax hold it, I don't see where I can mount it and it not be in the way of instruments, me (on a yoke mount), or the outside world.

Any suggestions?

AMD[H]unter;839608 said:
Hey guys, I'm a newb around here and have been looking into getting an iPad and a mount for use in my C150A. My only concern is the sheer lack of space in the cockpit. For this reason I have considered a small Android tablet; I already have a couple good Android apps one of which is a subscription.

Anyway, does anyone around here have experience with an iPad in a 150? Short of laying it in the seat beside me or having pax hold it, I don't see where I can mount it and it not be in the way of instruments, me (on a yoke mount), or the outside world.

Any suggestions?

I've set it on my kneepad when flying a rental 152. If there is no one else in the plane I see no reason not to set it in the passenger seat. If there is someone in the plane then it goes in either their lap or on my kneepad.

I may get around to buying one of those gizmos that attach it to your leg like a kneepad. I'd probably buy one that allows it to be rotated to landscape mode.

I've set it on my kneepad when flying a rental 152. If there is no one else in the plane I see no reason not to set it in the passenger seat. If there is someone in the plane then it goes in either their lap or on my kneepad.

I may get around to buying one of those gizmos that attach it to your leg like a kneepad. I'd probably buy one that allows it to be rotated to landscape mode.

I use my the same way, it's either in the passenger seat or in the floor between the seats in the 182. I don't use it as my primary means of navigation, so I don't necessarily have to see it at all times. ;)

I don't fly a 150 (PA28 140), but I made a kneeboard mount. I purchased this kneeboard:
http://www.amazon.com/Flyboys-Pilot...6S/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1328290977&sr=8-21

and this clipboard:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BT6OD4/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

I then attached a sloted straight bracket to the hole on the clip of the clipboard and screwed on cheap hard back case with one screw (double nuts), so it pivots:
http://www.amazon.com/Hard-back-cas...ffice-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1328291555&sr=1-61

This lets me switch between portrait and landscape, and I can convert to a regular kneeboard, by just sliding out the clipboard and puting the original back in. It also has eyelets for hooking in your checklist, with binder rings.

I use an IPad in the cockpit of my 140 which has 150 seats and a custom panel. The cockpit is virtually identical to a 150.

I have a leather case for my IPad with a blue tooth keyboard as part of it. I can flatten the IPad and it sets in my lap extremely well and does not slide off due to the leather back.

A friend of mine has a Musketeer and he sets his IPad in his lap as well. When he told me that, I was skeptical, but it has worked extremely well for me.

Before trying it in my lap I was very focused on finding a Cessna seat rail mount or other mount, but this has worked out so well, that I doubt that I will ever be adding a mount.

Hope this helps.

Oh, almost forgot! Welcome to the forum! Keep us posted about what you come up with.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm also not using it as primary navigation so I guess I really don't need it in my sight at all times. I'll see what I come up with... May just end up letting pax or the right seat hold it.

Doc, thanks for the welcome!

AMD[H]unter;839719 said:
May just end up letting pax or the right seat hold it.
I've been using an iPad as my EFB for a year now, and that's my solution -- on mykneeboard or thigh when in use, otherwise right seat. Haven't yet seen the need to have it mounted anywhere.

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll try it out with no mount and see how I like it before I spend money I don't need to.

I have used mine a little bit and keep it in my lap but I hold it up to be able to see it well. When it has lost me I stick it up in the window and it reconnects

I've used mine on a suction cup RAM mount attached to the passenger window when flying alone in the 150. With a passenger, it's either in my lap or the passenger's.

Back