Ipad/foreflight

Stets656

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Looking at buying a used ipad 3 to use solely for fore flight. Does anybody have any experience using the latest version of foreflight on an older ipad model. Does it lag? does it drain the battery?

Think it's the iOS updates that cause the lag, not foreflight.

I use a mini 3? I think, I think it’s a three, it works fine only problem I have is memory’s a little small at chart update time when it has both the old and new charts in it at same time. Other than that it runs great. Nothing else on it but foreflight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't remember which model of iPad I have, but one of the instructors just upgraded from the 2 to the 4, and he said foreflight was not any faster

Frankly, foreflight is literally the only thing I do with the iPad. it honestly doesn't do anything better or differently than what my pixel phone does, if anything it is less useful since it is a larger size. Can't really use for computer stuff either with a lack of keyboard.. I'm surprised iPads are as prolific as they are since they seem to fill kind of a weird niche between smart phones and computers

I use an old iPad 2 with FF, no issues.

How does the battery hold up? Also, will i have any trouble downloading the latest version of foreflight since the ipad can't get the newest IOS version?

Last edited:
...Frankly, foreflight is literally the only thing I do with the iPad. it honestly doesn't do anything better or differently than what my pixel phone does, if anything it is less useful since it is a larger size. Can't really use for computer stuff either with a lack of keyboard.. I'm surprised iPads are as prolific as they are since they seem to fill kind of a weird niche between smart phones and computers

Kids. :sigh: No respect for their elders. :fingerwag:
When You get to my age you'll appreciate the big screen. Of course by then GA will be dead and you'll be "flying" everywhere with VR implants. ;)

I use a mini-3, and it is up to date on the latest IOS. It does run slightly slower than when I first got it, but not bad...It takes Foreflight maybe 3-5 seconds to display info on startup, and if I swipe on the map page, it lags by a second or two. I think now a days, people get upset if they have to wait 5 seconds, and curse that their device is SOOOO SLOOOOW.
BTW, I have saved the entire US, both VFR and IFR low, and all approaches, in the device.

I use a mini-3, and it is up to date on the latest IOS. It does run slightly slower than when I first got it, but not bad...It takes Foreflight maybe 3-5 seconds to display info on startup, and if I swipe on the map page, it lags by a second or two. I think now a days, people get upset if they have to wait 5 seconds, and curse that their device is SOOOO SLOOOOW.
BTW, I have saved the entire US, both VFR and IFR low, and all approaches, in the device.

Yup. We once thought dial up was great!

How does the battery hold up? Also, will i have any trouble downloading the latest version of foreflight since the ipad can't get the newest IOS version?

I haven't really seen many issues, most of the battery issues are also tied to updating the iOS.

I don't update iOS, my iPad has the newest FF, my iPhone (jail broken) is running a slightly older version of FF, frankly I don't really notice a difference, only thing is my foreflight logbook doesn't display all my hours via the phone, though it works just fine on the website or any other device, I still can upload fights though so it's really a non event.

This is running foreflight pro US and Canada with all VFR/IFR/IAPs in the NE.

Of course by then GA will be dead and you'll be "flying" everywhere with VR implants
#drones

Flew into Prescott this morning and it was refreshing to see such a busy airport

Weirdly enough, the battery still maintains a charge; I do have power available in our airplane, and I plug it in for longer flights. No issues with the OS yet. But I will look at the FF AHRS feature soon, and likely buy a newer box.

Back