IPad: Charging not supported by this accessory"

Chip Sylverne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Quit with the negative waves, man.
...which is an odd message since it happens when I put the thing on the wall charger. It's an iPad 1. It does what I want, so I don't want to trash it if I don't have to. I've reinstalled the os, still getting the message. I'm pretty sure it's a software problem somewhere. The charger and cord are good. I cleaned the contacts on both cord and hardware.

Here's the strange thing. If I plug my ipod into the charger, the charger works as it should. So in order to get the iPad to charge, here's the ritual: plug in the iPod. Hard reset the iPad twice. (once won't do it) Immediately disconnect the iPod and plug the cord into the iPad. Then, it charges. Once the ipPad reaches 100% sometime overnight, it goes back to the "Charging not supported" message.

This happened after I shut off the iCloud feature. Google Fu shows this to be a fairly common problem, but no fix.

Anybody know anything to fix this?

Mine does the same thing. If it plug it in and then turn it off, it comes to a full charge.

We still have a one and don't have this issue. Have two chargers and cords, all work fine.

Aftermarket charger? Are iPod chargers less watts possibly?

Are you sure that it's not charging, even with the message?

I sometimes get "Not Charging" indications, yet the device IS charging, albeit slowly.

The charger and cord are the ones that came with the iPad. Both still work properly with the touch. The original iPod chargers (touch wheel) aren't compatible.

Not sure about the charging when getting the "not supported" message. The little lightning bolt in the battery icon shows momentarily, then disappears when the yellow caution icon shows up.

No charge icon shows on the usb to the desktop hub as well.

Last edited:
It doesn't exactly say that. It say "this accessory may not be supported". This is a design feature Apple added in IOS 7 to encourage you to buy only official accessories.

It doesn't exactly say that. It say "this accessory may not be supported". This is a design feature Apple added in IOS 7 to encourage you to buy only official accessories.

He said he has an iPad 1 thus no iOS 7 for him.

OK, it does charge slowly. About a percent or so an hour. When using the device plugged in, the charge rate isn't enough to keep up with discharge. When charged 100%, battery life is pretty good, so I don't think it's the battery. When I go through the "ritual charging", everything works normally.

Something isn't right with this thing.

Again, are you sure it's an iPad charger and not an iPod or iPhone charger? I believe iPad chargers are 12 watts and iPhone chargers are less than half of that.

Sure, they'll plug up just fine, but...

Also, iPads charge slow. But not that slow.

Again, are you sure it's an iPad charger and not an iPod or iPhone charger? I believe iPad chargers are 12 watts and iPhone chargers are less than half of that.

Sure, they'll plug up just fine, but...

Also, iPads charge slow. But not that slow.

I guess they do when something is buggered.

It's the charger and cord that came with the iPad new in the box. Worked perfectly for several years.

The mystery is why it charges the iPad normally, the warning doesn't appear and the lightning bolt remains, only after the ipad is powered down twice and the touch is powered up with the charger and immediately swapped to the ipad.

Tried shutting down wifi, cell service, location services, all that. No difference.

hmmm...you might try buying a new charger if you haven't already experimented with a different one.

OK, it does charge slowly. About a percent or so an hour. When using the device plugged in, the charge rate isn't enough to keep up with discharge. When charged 100%, battery life is pretty good, so I don't think it's the battery. When I go through the "ritual charging", everything works normally.

Something isn't right with this thing.
It's the connector making weak contact. I have the same issue on my ipad1 and on my daughter's itouch. I changed her connector and it's back to normal. Haven't gotten around to changing my ipad connector yet because it will reach a full charge, albeit slowly. Turn it off while charging and it goes a lot faster.

Mine does that when I plug my iPhone 5 into an aftermarket cord. It charges most of the time...sometimes it doesn't. I suppose it's an aftermarket cord. I bought 2 and can't tell which is aftermarket and which is original...they all look alike.

Turn out the problem was the charger. I borrowed a friend's Apple OEM 10w wall wart, used my original cord, and the problem seems to have gone away. Guess I broke the commandment, "firstly, thou shalt check the simple stuff."

Thanks for the input.

Back