ipad battery problems (?)

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
For the past few weeks, the iPad mini (model 4) has been randomly blinking off. I hit the reboot buttons, battery indicates it's almost dead (red line on the battery icon). So I plug it in, and almost immediately, it's showing 100% charge.

I'm thinking there's a short somewhere on the circuit board connected to the battery. Anyone see this or run into it in the past?

Next question - is this something that can be fixed without buying a new iPad mini?

Very likely can be fixed. Tons of independent repair shops who will do it as long as Apple hasn’t blocked inbound shipments of parts needed.

Jessa at iPad Rehab does videos and really knows her ****. Have been thinking about mailing one of mine to her. She’s been a right-to-repair activist for years and deserves the business.

https://www.ipadrehab.com/

Plus like most independent repair businesses working on Fruit products, she’ll actually offer data recovery when needed. Unlike the Fruit billionaires. They can’t be bothered with such simple tech workbench activities.

Jessa is like the iPhone and iPad twin sister to Louis Rossmann and MacBooks. I’d trust either one with any repairs needed that Apple will never offer.

One tip. Still always go ask the Apple Store what they’ll do. Especially if you have a proper backup at home or a half assed one in iCloud and can lose all App data.

They make their recalls incredibly hard to research and never contact you to say your device is under one — unless it’s likely to catch on fire — and I’ve had two devices replaced free under unpublished or hard to find recalls.

The replacements are refurbs with nearly no warranty, but hey, it’s free.

Downside: Getting an Apple store appointment around the holidays. And you’ll likely still wait an extra hour. But pretend it doesn’t bother you and be nice and the Genius may reward you by magically finding a defect caused by a recall.

One phone got replaced for free that had a screen failure, not for the screen failure but for a tiny chip next to the lightning connector. “Genius” said that was a recalled defect and handed me a refurb.

I swear it was because I acted nice when he had five other customers booked simultaneously in the appointment system. They were all crabby.

Soooo. The big crabby holiday crowd might work in your favor.

Well now that I think about it are there big crabby holiday crowds in Apple Stores during Covid? Hell I don’t know if they’re even open.

Anyway. Good luck whichever way you decide. The independent repair places are great if they can get parts.

The older the device, the more likely the components are readily available. Even Apple seizing stuff like simple laptop internal
batteries at the border via Customs, hasn’t completely stopped the repair parts grey market flow.

If you end up using Jessa let me know how it goes. I have one iPad that clearly ate its own lithium battery alive. No desire to give the Fruit Billionaires any more money, but also not using it much, so it’s been a tossup. Not whether Jessa deserves the business but whether I actually need the thing.

Oh. I also always look at iFixit to get a feel for difficulty level and parts pricing and availability too. Great site and great right-to-repair advocates, also. Everything Fruity has full tear down and repair instructions there. Apple has tried to sue them out of existence more than once.

Very likely can be fixed. Tons of independent repair shops who will do it as long as Apple hasn’t blocked inbound shipments of parts needed.

Jessa at iPad Rehab does videos and really knows her ****. Have been thinking about mailing one of mine to her. She’s been a right-to-repair activist for years and deserves the business.

https://www.ipadrehab.com/

Plus like most independent repair businesses working on Fruit products, she’ll actually offer data recovery when needed. Unlike the Fruit billionaires. They can’t be bothered with such simple tech workbench activities.

Jessa is like the iPhone and iPad twin sister to Louis Rossmann and MacBooks. I’d trust either one with any repairs needed that Apple will never offer.

One tip. Still always go ask the Apple Store what they’ll do. Especially if you have a proper backup at home or a half assed one in iCloud and can lose all App data.

They make their recalls incredibly hard to research and never contact you to say your device is under one — unless it’s likely to catch on fire — and I’ve had two devices replaced free under unpublished or hard to find recalls.

The replacements are refurbs with nearly no warranty, but hey, it’s free.

Downside: Getting an Apple store appointment around the holidays. And you’ll likely still wait an extra hour. But pretend it doesn’t bother you and be nice and the Genius may reward you by magically finding a defect caused by a recall.

One phone got replaced for free that had a screen failure, not for the screen failure but for a tiny chip next to the lightning connector. “Genius” said that was a recalled defect and handed me a refurb.

If you end up using Jessa let me know how it goes. I have one iPad that clearly ate its own lithium battery alive. No desire to give the Fruit Billionaires any more money, but also not using it much, so it’s been a tossup. Not whether Jessa deserves the business but whether I actually need the thing.

Oh. I also always look at iFixit to get a feel for difficulty level and parts pricing and availability too. Great site and great right-to-repair advocates, also. Everything Fruity has full tear down and repair instructions there. Apple has tried to sue them out of existence more than once.

Just checked her website.....New York. I've been avoiding that place for decades, ever since my parents got sick of Buffalo and headed to warm weather in Arizona.

I haven't touched the iPads, don't have the tools for it. But I do work on everything else. Just put 16GB in the 2010 mac mini (easy, no special tools needed) and 32gb in the new mac mini (that isn't supposed to be opened - yeah, right. had to head over to microcenter to get the idiot "security" hex screwdriver, none of mine worked). Since i've got the iPad mini5 for flying, it's not a crisis right now, and can wait until after the holiday. I hate going into the apple store - I have macs older than most of the people who work there (yes, my original 1984 beige Mac still boots but none of the software works because the old floppy carts have disintegrated....)

As for the data - it's backed up regularly and there's nothing I can't lose. There's no passwords, no personal data other than phone numbers, etc. Remember, I'm paranoid by nature and get paid to be even more paranoid. This is the first time I've had a problem with an apple product. Wouldn't have bought the new mac mini if it weren't for some software that requires a newer OS, and I refuse to upgrade either of the laptops.

The apple stores are appointment only these days. No browsing allowed, at least that's what the phone message said when I called on something else a few weeks ago.

There's an excellent shop around the corner from me...don't know if he's open these days. If it becomes a serious problem, I'll give him a call. Meanwhile, I'm turning the 2010 mac mini into the streaming device.

Just checked her website.....New York. I've been avoiding that place for decades, ever since my parents got sick of Buffalo and headed to warm weather in Arizona.

There's an excellent shop around the corner from me...don't know if he's open these days. If it becomes a serious problem, I'll give him a call. Meanwhile, I'm turning the 2010 mac mini into the streaming device.

Yeah just mail it to her. I was t planning on going there. I thought she was MN though. Hmmm. Just checked a video, right link.

She does nice stuff like this.

Anywhoo yeah if the locals can do it, nice to support em once all whatever level of Apple pre-paid new device buying contracts (it ain’t a warranty. Ha) and hidden recalls are checked.

If you want a real laugh look up her and Louis’ right to repair video of them testifying to a room of absolute morons in the Nebraska legislature.

I thought our local politicians were dumb... the one Dude there bought off by John Deere is a doozy. Fourth dumbest legislator I’ve ever watched video of.

You were asking me privately about one of our locals recently. He looks like freaking Einstein compared to the Nebraska guy.

Quite interesting who shows up to lobby at those against people repairing or owning their own things. Companies you wouldn’t expect.

Pretty interesting at least as a way to know who not to buy things from.

Try a hard reboot first. I had a couple of issues where mine would be charged and then shut down as dead battery. Wouldn't charge.

Hard boot did it. Involves the home button and the power button simultaneously. Instructions online.

If it works it saves the cost of service.

Try a hard reboot first. I had a couple of issues where mine would be charged and then shut down as dead battery. Wouldn't charge.

Hard boot did it. Involves the home button and the power button simultaneously. Instructions online.

If it works it saves the cost of service.
btdt. repeatedly.

Tons of independent repair shops who will do it as long as Apple hasn’t blocked inbound shipments of parts needed.

I had a Macbook Pro (I've since bought a new 16" earlier this year) about 5 years ago or so that a letter on my keyboard went out. I was in Venice FL, and there was an authorized repair shop there so I took it and they said they could replace it. So I get it back, and the right side of my computer where the card reader, HDMI, and a USB was doesn't work. I didn't realize this until got back home to Atlanta. So we went back about 5 months later and I took it back. The owner who had worked on it wasn't there but another guy looked at it. He asked me with a kind of befuddled tone and look who worked on this computer last? I said y'all did. Nobody had touched it since I had it worked on here originally. Well it came down to he couldn't do anything with it and I couldn't get them to do anything.

Anyway, some time later back in Atlanta I finally took it to a genius bar and the guy comes back out and says 'who worked on this computer?' He shows me a pic of the inside, and the keyboard inside had been propped up by a few guitar picks put together, and a few other things I can't remember. I never did get it fixed because my wife didn't want to spend the money on it because I had had it so long.

Anyway, I said all that to say that I won't let anybody but Apple work on my Apple stuff any longer. lol.

There is a neat third-party Windows app named IMazing that do a variety of diagnostics on IPads and IPhones. The free version has most of the diagnostic tools you need including a battery diagnostics. It will even show you how many times the battery has been recharged.

There is a neat third-party Windows app named IMazing that do a variety of diagnostics on IPads and IPhones. The free version has most of the diagnostic tools you need including a battery diagnostics. It will even show you how many times the battery has been recharged.

So how do you use a Windows app on an iPad or iPhone?

So how do you use a Windows app on an iPad or iPhone?

The app is installed on the PC. Connect the iPad/iPhone to a USB port on your Computer. When you do that the iPad/iPhone will ask you if you want trust this device(the PC).

The app is installed on the PC. Connect the iPad/iPhone to a USB port on your Computer. When you do that the iPad/iPhone will ask you if you want trust this device(the PC).
Assumption....that I have anything from Microsoft in my house.

Anyway, I said all that to say that I won't let anybody but Apple work on my Apple stuff any longer. lol.

They purposefully allowed their authorized repair to go unmanaged and to crap so they could switch to the “we don’t repair anything anymore — we just hand you a refurb and we illegally report things to customs to stop legitimate repair parts shipments”.

Then they also get to control the planned obsolescence cycle and make it too expensive to get said refurb without paying an additional 30-50% for the device via AppleCare and cutting off cheap support after three years.

They’ve managed to shove the device upgrade cycle from five years to three by various anti-trust style behaviors.

Oh well. It is what it is.

Still waiting on multiple commercial software vendors to even get up to version 1.0 of their stuff compatible with Big Sur which broke ALL security and control software worldwide.

Currently the corporate security compliance world absolutely hates Apple at the moment. Same stuff MSFT did at Win10 release. Ohhhh well.

Someone attempted to buy themselves a nice new M2 Mac for home. “Sounds nice. You won’t be connecting it to the company VPN any time soon. Sorry. We can downgrade Intel Macs to Catalina and get to certified software. All we have is beta software on Big Sur.”

Back