IPAD and charts

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
The FAA web site provides a lot of free information, including "scanned in" or Raster charts and sectionals and things.
see
http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=aeronav/applications/VFR/chartlist_sect

First question is: can these charts be displayed on an IPAD? They are zipped pdf files and I don't know if an Ipad can unzip or dispaly pdfs. If it can display pdfs, can they be "stretched".

second question: would you get in trouble using one of these electronic versions for navigation? Are they even good enough for navigation?

I just saw your post while surfing the web on my iPad. I clicked your links and when I tried to download the Chicago sectional I got an error. I will try later to see if there is another way, but I'm not sure why I would need to because I use ForeFlight and it has almost everything I need.

The charts should be able to be displayed on an iPad if they're PDF's - There are many PDF reader apps.

I'm not aware of any iPad software that will unzip files and open the PDFs. However, if you download the files onto your computer, unzip them, and then dump them onto the iPad and use a piece of software such as GoodReader, you should be able to use them.

However, I really appreciate the ease of use and flight planning features of ForeFlight Mobile HD, so I'll continue to use that - The $75/year subscription is still less than I used to spend on paper charts and is WELL worth the price. Biggest bargain in aviation, IMNSHO.

As for the procedure to do what you're describing, it would go something like this:

1) Download files to your PC/Mac.
2) Unzip files.
3) Open iTunes and connect your iPad.
4) Select your iPad under "Devices" on the left, and then click "Apps" at the top.
5) Click on your PDF reader app in the box on the lower left - I use GoodReader.
6) Either click the "Add" button or drag-and-drop the PDF files into the box on the lower right.
7) Click the "Sync" button. When it's done, the PDFs will be available in the app you chose in step 5.

Thanks for the replies, but I guess it does make sense that if I have an IPAD, I should/would go with the service that does it well instead of crafting a cheap and laborious work around.

Can the files, charts AFDs ect on the IPAD or other electronic device legally replace the hard copy? Or would it just be a handy backup?

Thanks for the replies, but I guess it does make sense that if I have an IPAD, I should/would go with the service that does it well instead of crafting a cheap and laborious work around.

Yup - Now if ForeFlight cost an order of magnitude more than it does (or cost as much as a Jepp subscription!) it'd maybe be worth doing it yourself. But for $75/year it's nice to have a hassle-free way to do it.

Can the files, charts AFDs ect on the IPAD or other electronic device legally replace the hard copy? Or would it just be a handy backup?

Yes, for a part 91 operation. ForeFlight has a more detailed answer to this (frequently asked) question including pointers to the relevant Advisory Circulars here: http://blog.foreflight.com/2010/05/08/ipad-aviation-aopa-and-fsdo-approval/

Back