Iowa - Vegas... FLYING!!

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
After putting together some numbers for train/commercial flight to-and-from Vegas, I have received the go-ahead to crunch the numbers for flying us out in the RV.

So -- I need to know what kind of "preferred" route there is for going from Iowa to Las Vegas with a stop-over for a day at the Grand Canyon. We will be going March 17-23(ish) in the RV-7A w/ a 200hp IO-360, so I have a little more performance than a 172, etc. We are also investigating the option of installing supplemental O2 in the RV (a la Dr. Bruce design), so we might be able to move to 'higher altitudes'. I have zero mountain flying experience, so I'm not sure I want to tackle the passes.

Also, since my wife is still getting her 'wings' wet with flying, we'll be stopping several times enroute to stretch our legs. Any suggestions for good refuel stops along the way?

Oh yeah -- I'm IR now, so that *might* help with weather diversions, etc.

EDIT: After looking at a rough plot via ADDS Flight Path Tool with altitude set at 10k, it looks like a northern route would be just about as 'direct' as a southern route to dodge the high peaks. Is the northern area 'flyable' in March or is it still cold, ice, snow then?

EDIT 2: I just found Barry's post last August about his flight out-and-back from DPA. Looks like I have some pretty good info for a southern route (anything change in March vs. August?). Any ideas on practicality of a northern route then slide down the back side of the mountains?

Last edited:
EDIT: After looking at a rough plot via ADDS Flight Path Tool with altitude set at 10k, it looks like a northern route would be just about as 'direct' as a southern route to dodge the high peaks. Is the northern area 'flyable' in March or is it still cold, ice, snow then?

Chris,

You're probably more likely to be able to do the northern route now than in march. It's so damn cold even on the ground right now, that when you get to 10K it's all gonna be frozen solid and bounce right off the plane.

In March, it's warmer on the ground (above freezing) and things are melting, but at 10K it's gonna be an ice bucket. :(

I had to cruise low on a flight last May due to ice.

Of course, it could go either way. It's weather, it varies wildly. Plot a route each way, check the icing forecasts along with everything else before you go.

Hey Chris, those were my "best laid plans" for a trip that never materialized due to weather. I only had a one week window and there were pretty bad thunderstorms for three days across New Mexico/Arizona so I ended up scrubbing it. Big disappointment!

But I have all the maps, etc, and the route planning for next time!

Direct LVS 652 nm. Take Fuel. Oxygen, hop over to Santa Fe. Lunch.
Thence to GCN which is on a direct line to LAS that leg totalling 442 nm. Upper edges of the non-oxygen altitudes, lumpy if the sun is out over the desert plateau...

If Canyon Bar 10 is open, I'd definitely go in there. It's 3000 feet long, but has 8000 foot mountains on three sides. You spiral down and spiral up

PS Get the GCN sectional!

Chris, I have a copy of the GCN sectional you can borrow for your trip; just return it at the Glide-a-Thon. PM me your address if interested.

I have flown that route or pretty close every month of the year. Probably half the time I can go direct from Fort Collins over the top, then on to Page. Other times it is south or north depending what kind of weather system is coming. I know it is stating the obvious but the route will depend on the weather on that day especially in March. If you can leave a day or two leeway for departure you'll have better chance of making it. We're planning on AZ in March we have the last 10 years and have always made it.

I'd suggest getting familiar with several general routes and then see how the fronts shape up. Dr Bruce's route is a good one but you may not have to drop that far south. I usually don't.

Chris,

The latest issue of PilotGetaways magazine has a great article on flying into Las Vegas.

Might see if you can snag a glimpse of the article at Barnes & Noble (picked up a copy there for some weekend reading).

That'd be a fun trip in the -7!

Troy

Direct LVS 652 nm. Take Fuel. Oxygen, hop over to Santa Fe. Lunch.
Thence to GCN which is on a direct line to LAS that leg totalling 442 nm. Upper edges of the non-oxygen altitudes, lumpy if the sun is out over the desert plateau...

If Canyon Bar 10 is open, I'd definitely go in there. It's 3000 feet long, but has 8000 foot mountains on three sides. You spiral down and spiral up

PS Get the GCN sectional!

I'll take your suggestion one step further - if you're already stopping at LVS for fuel, see if you can find a way to get to the only restaurant on the main road (forget the name) in Las Vegas, and get the green chile bacon cheeseburger (or if you don't like Green Chile, skip it, still delicious).

Its the best burger I've EVER had, and I'm fat. I've had a lot of burgers.

Back