Iowa State Flyin Cyclones Fly In

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Everybody -

The annual spring pancake breakfast hosted by the Iowa State University Flying Cyclones is going to be held April 5th in Ames, IA (KAMW). Chris Jones has been put in charge of weather and promises sunny skies and tailwinds for all attendees. Hope to see some of you folks here!

http://www.flying.stuorg.iastate.edu/

Everybody -

The annual spring pancake breakfast hosted by the Iowa State University Flying Cyclones is going to be held April 5th in Ames, IA (KAMW). Chris Jones has been put in charge of weather and promises sunny skies and tailwinds for all attendees. Hope to see some of you folks here!

That is correct. And if you have issues with my *promise*, you can send complaint email to me at tcondon@...... ;)

Everybody -

Wow... Ames is gonna have to do a lot of suckin' to get us all a tailwind! :goofy:

Damn I'm going to a Brewers game already that day...I may have to cancel that and go to IA instead :)

Pete

My wife is driving back from Boone Monday. Weather permitting, we'll try to fly-in Saturday.

Hopefully, that should take care of my Iowa obligations for a while. Till summer at least.

We have verified that the Vanguard Squadron will be appearing with their Ethanol powered RV-3A's. Long range forecast is calling for good weather, hope to see some of you folks there!

Sadly im not going to be able to hang out much after the breakfast is over, headed home in the 182RG to help dad with his annual charity auction that night.

We had a great turnout for the first good weather day since sometime last November. Rough counts put us at 300 plates of pancakes with ~50 planes coming in to attend.

I was too busy parking planes and chatting with arriving pilots to be able to take pics, but once I get some from other Flying Cyclone club members, I'll post the good ones. There was one photo op in particular that I wish I had a camera for - a brand new Light Sport (no clue about the name) parked next to a gorgeous Fairchild (didn't notice year/model) - thinking "old" and "new" of aviation.

It was a great turnout not just for the airport, but the public as well. We had a UH-60 Blackhawk from the ANG base in the neighboring town, fire ladder truck, ambulance, EMT for kids to oogle over, not to mention tons of cool airplanes to look at! :)

Hopefully we can make a carbon copy of this for next year.

yep the flyin was great. I didnt get a chance to hang out and talk with friends as much as I would've liked. I was giving airplane rides during the busiest part where the first wave was departing, more arrivals were still coming in, skydivers falling and helicopters running rides too. busy airspace and a lot of fun. I did enjoy seeing and getting to chat a little with some forum people. a great way to start the flying season.

Caught in the act of actually working for a living.

Attachments

• IMG_0225.JPG
    IMG_0225.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
nice shot, thanks max. its a tough job but someone has to do it.

I shot around a hundred and thirty photos, but this one is my favorite.

Attachments

• IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Here's a couple for the chopper boys.

Attachments

• IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0171.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Yeah.. What a ROUGH ROUGH life. ;) I'm glad you're willing to suffer for the cause.

Ain't that the truth. Every time he flies with me, he just sits over there telling me what to do, and I have to do all the work.

Yeah.. What a ROUGH ROUGH life. ;) I'm glad you're willing to suffer for the cause.

hey did you see the traffic situation at about 9:30 on saturday morning?? 3 ride 172s, skydivers, helicopters doing circles. plus a wave of departures and arrivals. and all of the seagulls, geese, and red tailed hawks decided it was a great day to fly as well. I had to actually THINK! :D

hey did you see the traffic situation at about 9:30 on saturday morning?? 3 ride 172s, skydivers, helicopters doing circles. plus a wave of departures and arrivals. and all of the seagulls, geese, and red tailed hawks decided it was a great day to fly as well.

Yeah.. I saw that.. Were you involved in the 3-ship 172 formation departure? That was pretty impressive. I bet if DSM had their radar pinging that far out they were thinking "What the crap is going on up there!?" Then, as all of you guys were coming in with landing lights on it looked like arrivals stacked up going into STL.

I had to actually THINK! :D

Well, there's a first time for everything! ;) :D :D :D :D

Ain't that the truth. Every time he flies with me, he just sits over there telling me what to do, and I have to do all the work.

He does that to YOU, too!? And to think that we actually PAY him to do that. Man, we're getting the raw end of the deal on this somehow.

i was first in line when the group took off. i dont know that id call it formation, we had about 1/2 mile spacing i think.

It sounds like it was a good time, sorry we missed it. Other things in the way.

i was first in line when the group took off. i dont know that id call it formation, we had about 1/2 mile spacing i think.

No, it definitely wasn't a formation departure, but it was closer than most folks are used to seeing a group of 172's depart out of that airport. ha! Definitely not a safety issue, but it looked like a mini-OSH departure field for about 30 seconds. :yes:

No, it definitely wasn't a formation departure, but it was closer than most folks are used to seeing a group of 172's depart out of that airport. ha! Definitely not a safety issue, but it looked like a mini-OSH departure field for about 30 seconds. :yes:

heh it sorta felt like it too.

Oh man... I can't wait for OSH! I never liked departing OSH all that much, but mostly because it meant the fun was over. But, departing OSH is actually fun! Nothing like using both halves of the runway. :goofy:

Back