IO540 backfiring

JBrown243

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
I just brought my Comanche into the show because the engine started to what sounded like backfire at higher altitudes. It only is happening after passing 8,000 ft. I just got it back from annual, and have never had this happen before, although the last time I was above 8,000ft was about 4-5 months ago. It did not do it then though and I was at 11500 on that flight.

As soon as I get below roughly 8000ft it stops. I'm curious if this has ever happened to anyone, any ideas? I was thinking maybe it has to do with the plugs the the leads or the mags at higher altitudes (lower o2 density for spark?). That is all I can think of unless its fuel flow.

I've flown several times above 8,000 ft many times in the 3 years i have owned the plane and this is a first for me.

Misrigged mixture cable? Timings off?

What are the manifold pressure, RPM, and mixture settings? Fuel pressure/flow? Fuel condition? Spark plug, wire harness, mags?

Shooting from the hip, I'd look for carbon trails and resultant arcing in the magnetos.

Leaky intake runner?

Shooting from the hip, I'd look for carbon trails and resultant arcing in the magnetos.

That's what I'd suspect. As the air pressure drops, arcing and crossfiring in the mags becomes more of an issue, and a marginal or dirty mag will let it happen at lower altitudes. High-altitude, turbocharged aircraft have pressurized mags.

Dan

That's what I'd suspect. As the air pressure drops, arcing and crossfiring in the mags becomes more of an issue, and a marginal or dirty mag will let it happen at lower altitudes. High-altitude, turbocharged aircraft have pressurized mags.

Dan

3rd vote for this. I had a similar issue on my Cherokee 6, o-540. The left mag was arcing internally, but only above ~8000 feet. I could actually hear the popping over the radio. I switched between the mags and there was a huge power drop on the left. I did a precautionary landing, but on the ground I could do a full power run-up and there was no significant difference between the mags.

What are the manifold pressure, RPM, and mixture settings? Fuel pressure/flow? Fuel condition? Spark plug, wire harness, mags?
I fly it by the Lycoming for the Fuel & Power Chart IO-540-D
at 8000ft thats 21"MP and 2300RPM gives me about 10-11gph (book says 12-14). fuel is clean and new. plane is just out of annual maybe 5hrs on it since annual.

Carbon trails off the exhaust?

3rd vote for this. I had a similar issue on my Cherokee 6, o-540. The left mag was arcing internally, but only above ~8000 feet. I could actually hear the popping over the radio. I switched between the mags and there was a huge power drop on the left. I did a precautionary landing, but on the ground I could do a full power run-up and there was no significant difference between the mags.
how did you find the problem? My plane is in the shop they are "researching" the problem. anything I can have the shop look for and test for?

Carbon trails off the exhaust? [/QUOTE said:
Carbon trails on the distributor block inside the mag would allow the high- voltage impulse to find it's way to the wrong spark plug at the wrong time.

Back