"Invisible" Bike Helmet / Airplane Airbag(?)

teamcoltra

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rev. Travis
A while ago I saw these http://www.hovding.com/en/ making their rounds in my social circles, I thought they were really cool but now I keep wanting to know how well they would work for a pilot?

Would the G force from turbulence and stuff set these off?

I have always thought the worst part of flying is that you can have a perfectly fine crash landing but then knock yourself out from hitting your head on the yoke or something... especially if you ditch into water.

Are there planes with airbags? Would they help?

There's retrofit seatbelt airbags, last I checked I recall them being in the $5K range. I believe some new planes come with them installed.

What makes them inflate? Your angle? Button? Could just imagine going down a steep hill and have this thing think I was going to crash. I give them credit for innovation though. Reminds me of the AVY airbag backpacks.

I really like the idea of seatbelt airbags... I am going to redo the seatbelts on the plane anyway because I don't like just having a lap belt.

I installed Amsafe air bag seat belts in my 172 and my now former Malibu, I couldn't imagine having a plane without them. I still find myself thinking about an old customer that crashed in his Malibu and hit his head. He's out of his coma now, but he will never be close to the same man. The system triggers the inflaters through a control box that measures the g-force at impact. It's all automatic and uses it's own battery. This was a nice change in the 172 because it still had the original non-recoil manual adjustable shoulder harness.

I may have installed about 40 of the kits in Malibus and never had a problem where they have gone off or failed the annual ICA checks.

kmead - would the above quote of ~5K for two seats be about right? I read its about 1,500 per unit plus installation

What makes them inflate? Your angle? Button? Could just imagine going down a steep hill and have this thing think I was going to crash. I give them credit for innovation though. Reminds me of the AVY airbag backpacks.

There is an explanation on the site of the load algorithm that would trigger inflation. I doubt they would inflate from anything short of a crash but I do not think you want to blow over $400 every time you crash on your mountain bike (if you were referring to off-road biking). I see these more for urban riders that do not see crashing as any part of a normal ride.

Heads hitting yokes is an all-to-common outcome.

A 4-point harness would accomplish that. Or an airbag.

Maybe I'll start thinking about air bags in the WSC once I start remembering to put on the helmet.

-Rich

Innovative for sure but looks like it would make ones neck sweat. Never found helmets that uncomfortable.

Back