Introduction

GB403

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
GB403
Greetings! Writing to introduce myself to the forum. Here primarily to read and learn about GA and Commercial aviation through others experiences. I’m planning on beginning my own piloting adventure this coming spring by starting my formal PPL through ATP training in SoCal. So right now no flying, however currently laboring away reading through the FAR/AIM 2017, the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge 8083-25, and the Airplane Flying Handbook. I’ve always been interested in being a pilot however never committed to the plan. I look forward to informational discussions.

Welcome! It gets nutso in here at times but a wealth of great info can be had. Beware though, you'll get a mix of opinions.

As for ATP I haven't read anything positive about them but I have no experience with them. Others do on POA and hopefully they'll fill you in.

Again welcome!

mscard88...thanks for the advice, however when I stated 'ATP'...I was referring to the pilot license itself, not the flight school ATP. I had an intro flight with ATP (the school) a few months ago. It’s a decent school and I enjoyed the CFI’s time and knowledge, but at this point I don’t know much about any of these flight schools. So I’m currently researching all my options.

mscard88...thanks for the advice, however when I stated 'ATP'...I was referring to the pilot license itself, .

Yup I see that now, my bad. Still waking up n drinkin' coffee....

Also consider an independent CFI, some good ones out there.

I would like to learn more about the Independent CFI option and compare the cost against going to a traditional part 141 or 61 school. I have the financing for any option, so now I just need to figure out the most efficient matter of going about acquiring all the pilot licenses in the most seamless and affordable way (without being subject to fraud) and in a reasonably amount of time.

welcome.
My tips for you,
1. read the AIM like you're doing. Especially the parts on airport procedures (all of which are included in the written test).
2. read the flying handbook (its the bible for a student pilot)
3. whatever you do not understand in the flying hamdbook.. search it in youtube and/or google it. Free online vids can be your second instructor.. maybe even first lol.. not all CFIs are good.
4. IF your completely new to aviation, engines, and basic physics then I recommend the aeronautical knowledge handbook. This book tells you EVERYTHING you need to know. People with good aviation knowledge, and mechanical background and aviation experience will have no need for this book. I bought this book and never read a single chapter. Never even opened the book (as of yet anyway).
5. watch vids on takeoffs/landings and basic flight maneuvers.
6. watch vids on flight instruments.
7. watch vids about weather.
8. since your going to start training in the spring... start studying for the written test now. Buy the private pilot asa test prep. You can have your written test knocked out before you even take your first lesson (which is what I did).
9. The test prep is also a good study/info aid. With explanations for each question. If you understand why the answers are the answers your already 80% there knowledge wise. The remaining knowledge you get learn during training by flying the plane and doing cross country's/flight planning and from your CFI.
10. Again you have time till spring, so get that medical done. Third class is all you need for now.
11. after you pass the written, start studying the oral exam guide, and refer and match up the questions with similar ones in the test prep. The oral exam guide is test prep questions in a slightly different format.
12. And like most people you will be youtube-ing stuff on VORSs ADFs and cross country's at steps 8-11.

you can have all the above done before you even do your first official lesson. And it will save you months of time and learning, so you cant get that cert that much quicker. You want to be able to understand something right away when your CFI brings it up. If on your first lesson you completely understand that "power is altitude and pitch is airspeed", and you understand how flaps work, ground effect, how the altimeter and airspeed indicator works... why a plane turns, why an airplane flies, your CFI will be impressed and advance your training faster. Many people go into thier first lesson not knowing what an aileron is lol.

good luck and welcome.

BalooAirService: I appreciate the guidance and thoroughness. I will definitely print out this list and dissect in order to complete…realistically.

I just started the FAR/AIM and I’m half way through the Flying HB…I’m sure it will all coalesce once I actually start flying and get a feel for the maneuvers through application. I have about 2hrs TT, however the internet has been a great resource. Between Flight Chops, Mr.Aviation101, Steve VLOG and his TBM, I’ve probably viewed a few hundred hours of flying videos. Those videos are very helpful.

I subscribe to Boldmethod and read their daily aviation topics. This site will also email you quizzes (6 questions) on aviation weather, clearance altitudes, aircraft systems, preflight planning, VFR chart symbols, IAP, Approach symbol etc. This site really helps if you are completely new.

Listening to LiveATC.net while viewing Flightradar24.com is also pretty informative as you can listen and view the flight maneuvers of real aircraft moving in and around all different classes of airspace. I pay for Flightradar24 however in order to view acft squawk, ALT and IAS.

I will check out the private pilot asa test prep.

Thanks again.

BTW…loved Tailspin growing up. They don’t make cartoons like those anymore.

Welcome to POA and good luck with your training.

welcome.
My tips for you,
1. read the AIM like you're doing. Especially the parts on airport procedures (all of which are included in the written test).
2. read the flying handbook (its the bible for a student pilot)
3. whatever you do not understand in the flying hamdbook.. search it in youtube and/or google it. Free online vids can be your second instructor.. maybe even first lol.. not all CFIs are good.
4. IF your completely new to aviation, engines, and basic physics then I recommend the aeronautical knowledge handbook. This book tells you EVERYTHING you need to know. People with good aviation knowledge, and mechanical background and aviation experience will have no need for this book. I bought this book and never read a single chapter. Never even opened the book (as of yet anyway).
5. watch vids on takeoffs/landings and basic flight maneuvers.
6. watch vids on flight instruments.
7. watch vids about weather.
8. since your going to start training in the spring... start studying for the written test now. Buy the private pilot asa test prep. You can have your written test knocked out before you even take your first lesson (which is what I did).
9. The test prep is also a good study/info aid. With explanations for each question. If you understand why the answers are the answers your already 80% there knowledge wise. The remaining knowledge you get learn during training by flying the plane and doing cross country's/flight planning and from your CFI.
10. Again you have time till spring, so get that medical done. Third class is all you need for now.
11. after you pass the written, start studying the oral exam guide, and refer and match up the questions with similar ones in the test prep. The oral exam guide is test prep questions in a slightly different format.
12. And like most people you will be youtube-ing stuff on VORSs ADFs and cross country's at steps 8-11.

you can have all the above done before you even do your first official lesson. And it will save you months of time and learning, so you cant get that cert that much quicker. You want to be able to understand something right away when your CFI brings it up. If on your first lesson you completely understand that "power is altitude and pitch is airspeed", and you understand how flaps work, ground effect, how the altimeter and airspeed indicator works... why a plane turns, why an airplane flies, your CFI will be impressed and advance your training faster. Many people go into thier first lesson not knowing what an aileron is lol.

good luck and welcome.

I feel like this should be a Sticky.

This is a great list for 'any' perspective pilot. I'm new and looking to start my flight training with just a Sport Pilot ticket, much less an ATP, and I'm going to follow that list of suggestions.

Thanks

yw @ GB403 and TenSeven

flythewing.com has great free vids too.

I would like to learn more about the Independent CFI option and compare the cost against going to a traditional part 141 or 61 school. I have the financing for any option, so now I just need to figure out the most efficient matter of going about acquiring all the pilot licenses in the most seamless and affordable way (without being subject to fraud) and in a reasonably amount of time.

When I mentioned independent CFI what I am referring to is a CFI who usually instructs outside of a flight school, and it's under Part 61 as Part 141 are approved flight schools. You'll have to decide as there is really no difference as far as learning to fly. Part 141 is more formal in that you follow a syllabus (which you can do under 61) and have stage checks where the school checks your progress as you go thru the program. I've taught under 61 and 141 and I didn't teach any differently.

As for ATP I haven't read anything positive about them but I have no experience with them.

So I was speaking with a friend who attended ATP and who was a regional pilot, before working for ATC. As we briefly touched on the notion of the negative comments regarding ATP Flight School, he posed the question, "who writes positive feedback?" People are more inclined to write negative comments because they didn't have the experience they were hoping for. In essence it appears that there are more 'negative experiences' than 'positive experiences', however this is not correct because few will take the time to write about there positive experiences. I'm not discounting people's opinions and/or negative appraisal of ATP FS, but if you successful completed the zero-to-hero program the majority of the time you don't document your experience so others can reference. He also mentioned that some ATP students are just not good pilots and fail out. I thought long and hard about that point.

Greetings! Writing to introduce myself to the forum. Here primarily to read and learn about GA and Commercial aviation through others experiences. I’m planning on beginning my own piloting adventure this coming spring by starting my formal PPL through ATP training in SoCal. So right now no flying, however currently laboring away reading through the FAR/AIM 2017, the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge 8083-25, and the Airplane Flying Handbook. I’ve always been interested in being a pilot however never committed to the plan. I look forward to informational discussions.
Welcome to POA
How is your pilot training going?
When will you start your flight training?

How is your pilot training going?
When will you start your flight training?
Pilot studying is going as planned. Consuming the ASA Private Oral Exam Guide, then starting the ASA PPL Test Prep booklet. In January I will read through the ASA Instrument Oral Exam Guide. I will start flight training in mid-April. I have not decided on school. Probably a Part 61 school at either KTOA or KLGB.

Pilot studying is going as planned. Consuming the ASA Private Oral Exam Guide, .

My advice is to chase that exam guide with a cold beer if you're gonna eat it. Why are you eating it anyway? Most students read it, and read it, and read it. But I guess if you get hungry studying I can understand that as it's quicker than ordering a pizza.

....................... So right now no flying, however currently laboring away reading through the FAR/AIM 2017, the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge 8083-25, and the Airplane Flying Handbook. I’ve always been interested in being a pilot however never committed to the plan. I look forward to informational discussions.

Welcome to the joint. That's a lot of reading of a lot of good stuff. Having that foundation of knowledge down is going to help you a lot. You're going to get a lot of real life applications of that knowledge here. And some great punchlines.

Back