internet security

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
well, I just got the laptop back after sending it out to the laundry to get it cleaned up.

He took out Norton Internet Security.
He put in Symantec Client Security Antivirus
He put in adaware and error killer (what's that??)

But I don't have any sort of internet security program going on here - I use a wireless router at home, but away from home I'll be using cafe routers and whatnot...

Any suggestions for internet security software that really works?
I need some sort of anti-spam thingie, too. And Ad Blocking (though that will likely be available with the anti-spam program, right?)

Thanks from a dedicated luddite . . .

etsisk said:
well, I just got the laptop back after sending it out to the laundry to get it cleaned up.

He took out Norton Internet Security.
He put in Symantec Client Security Antivirus
He put in adaware and error killer (what's that??)

But I don't have any sort of internet security program going on here - I use a wireless router at home, but away from home I'll be using cafe routers and whatnot...

Any suggestions for internet security software that really works?
I need some sort of anti-spam thingie, too. And Ad Blocking (though that will likely be available with the anti-spam program, right?)

Thanks from a dedicated luddite . . .

1) REMOVE ALL Symantec/Norton stuff above.

2) Get nod32 and install it. http://www.eset.com/

3) Get Kerio firewall and install it http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm It will protect the laptop when you're out in the world.

4) Let those update when they want. Sleep well.

You can run a scan with AdAware once in a while but you won't need it. It doesn't hurt anything.

Dunno what error killer is.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response!!

my concern about nod32 is that I'm not a techie and I understand that it's tends toward the technical in terminology and such for set up and running it. Would that be a problem?

smigaldi said:
This is very timely. My Norten runs out at the end of the month and I want to switch to something else.

NOD32 is good. I have it running on one machine. I went with AVG on the others. Much cheaper & less CPU/memory than Norton.

wsuffa said:
NOD32 is good. I have it running on one machine. I went with AVG on the others. Much cheaper & less CPU/memory than Norton.

Do I just pull off the Norton stuff with the ole 'add/remove programs' stuff in wondows or is there more to unistall manually?

smigaldi said:
Do I just pull off the Norton stuff with the ole 'add/remove programs' stuff in wondows or is there more to unistall manually?
I think uninstall (mostly) works but I see they have a Norton removal tool, how nice. http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

These things hook pretty low into the Windows innards so you do want to careful. Make sure you have your data backed up and your Windows re-install disks nearby just in case.

Scott,

Try uninstall first. It will most likely leave junk on your hard drive. Follow with the removal tool. That should get 90-95% of it. You may need to manually edit the registry afterward (or you can just leave the last little bit).

A couple of years ago, Norton hosed itself so badly that I had to manually uninstall using instructions from their site. It was about 1200 registry entries....

I have never successfully uninstalled Norton without having to reinstall windows afterwards. Its why I hate Norton so very much.

Never tried NOD32, but I like AVG a lot.

edit: Also - Error Killer is a windows registry cleanup tool. It is good at removing unused pointers and stuff, but beyond that is pretty much useless.

Symantec Client Security Antivirus isn't *all* that evil. It's their corporate edition. Very low in memory and very clean. Although I want to say it does not support scanning of e-mails as it expects you to have an exchange server that is doing that already..But I could be wrong.

Both Nod and Kerio are trial use only unless you purchase the full system. Is the trial version what you guys are using? If so you have to uninstall and reinstall every 30 days; kind of inconvenient.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Both Nod and Kerio are trial use only unless you purchase the full system. Is the trial version what you guys are using? If so you have to uninstall and reinstall every 30 days; kind of inconvenient.

How about paying for them?

Kerio is $15.95 one time.

Isn't NOD32 like $39 one time?

Symantec anything is $30 a year.

Personally, I use Zone Alarm (firewall) and Avast! (anti-virus) with an occasional check with AdAware. Clean for a couple of years now. They're all free for personal use.

AVG Free and my portable linksys switch are my "protection", and I'm not overly concerned about being open on a wifi when I'm on my laptop (mac and windows). No shares are open and no services run on my laptop. Don't even run Windows firewall. Not a single problem here.

Personally I think the firewall idea is a little bit too much paranoia. But that's just me. :D

Besides, when you're on a wifi network and someone uses a man in the middle attack on the access point's address, your firewall isn't going to do much ;)

wbarnhill said:
AVG Free and my portable linksys switch are my "protection", and I'm not overly concerned about being open on a wifi when I'm on my laptop (mac and windows). No shares are open and no services run on my laptop. Don't even run Windows firewall. Not a single problem here.

Personally I think the firewall idea is a little bit too much paranoia. But that's just me. :D

Besides, when you're on a wifi network and someone uses a man in the middle attack on the access point's address, your firewall isn't going to do much ;)

Which is why I've set up a VPN when I'm on wireless....

Back