Internet Ready PDA?

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I want to buy an new PDA on which I can access the internet, including AIM and gmail, etc. My question is, do they make PDAs that can use existing wireless internet signals like the one in my house I've set up, or "hot spots" in the local coffee house? I don't want to pay an extra fee to use some other service if I already have a service. I want internet access to work like it does on laptops.

Thanks for your help!

Palm TX, or Palm Lifedrive.

Dell Axim.

Compaq Ipaq.

All of these are WiFi-enabled.

Add on some of the aviation -specific software, and you're in like Flintstones.

The Palm Treo 700 is such a machine but it's new as of mid-2006. I have a Treo 650 which uses strictly cell signal for internet connection. It had locked up on me left and right. I went for a trade-in deal on a 680. That locked up on me as I attempted to shut it off before rolling on takeoff... which just happen to be immediately after I was getting an IFR clearance from TRACON; not exactly a time you want a failing phone nor connection. The 680 became infinitely worse than the 650.

I've returned the 680 and updated the 650 and it's worked much better but still locks about once a week. Those are my only experience with PDAs but I'm sure there are other options.

Phonescoop.com gives some good review from users as well as a fair amount of data on various phones. You can also do a search by features and find out who provides it. Once you learn what phone does, sometimes a good option is buying through eBay from a legitimate seller. In many cases, the manufacturer will sell an unlocked phone for use on multiple carriers. Palm does that.

I have a Palm TX which will do that. I just got it so I haven't tried it anywhere besides my home network but it picks that up no problem. I am not close to being an expert on PDAs though. This was just an impulse buy Christmas present to myself since I like gadgets.

I have a XV6700 which is Verizon's Pocket PC/CELLPHONE. It has wi-fi and I've used it successfully on my home wireless (wireless B only).

You should expect that the PDA market will make a major turn when the iPhones start shipping. I wouldn't plan on buying the first gen iPhone, but I think in 3-4 years Palm will be totally out of business.

Just expect that your Treo will last you 2-3 years so what you pay for it should be worth that. That's the situation with most cell phones anyway.

I bought a Handspring Treo 60 PDA for cheap even after they were out of business. I didn't regret it. I got enough use out of it. My buddy is still using his. I sent him my old ones for use as spare parts.

Even though Palm OS can do WiFi, the OS is not really multitasking so it's a strech and a pain. The browser is not great but none of them are. Battery life when you use WiFi is abysmal.

A Windows Mobile PDA is better for WiFi.

Last edited:
The Treo 700 series does NOT do WiFi. It uses EVDO cellular data. Battery life is better than WiFi enabled devices though ;) Every PDA device I've seen that has WiFi has had horrendous battery life when using it. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

I think all PDA phones will crash at one point or another, but I've heard of many more locks and crashes on Windows Mobile phones than Palm OS phones. Our IT staff got their choice between the Palm 700p, Palm 700w, and Motorola Q. Two people got Q's, and the rest but my former boss got 700w's. Within a week, half of those who got 700w's wanted to switch to the 700p because the devices were slowing to a crawl and locking up (thus the reason the 700wx was created, but didn't really mitigate the problem). Not as many complaints about the Q, but no touchscreen.

Could always get one of these (Get the extended battery and schedule an appointment for LASIK so you can read the screen)...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&coliid=I1P7EB7VYZCVVG&colid=3AQQOWWYYF9D3

:D

Since I don't see anywhere in the OP where he asked for a CELLPHONE PDA but just a regular PDA, most of these replies are irrelevant. Cellphone PDAs are very expensive in comparison to regular PDAs and have considerable added costs for service.

Stick with the list Spike posted and you'd be fine, Ben. And don't bother with the iPhone since it can't support what you're looking for. Personally, I'd stick with a Pocket PC version vs Palm but that's only based on my experience. I haven't touched a Palm OS for a few years now.

Good luck.

So far I couldn't be happier with the blackberry pearl I just got.
It is available from tmobile and cingular. I have the tmobile service and in addition to my voice plan I have the unlimited blackberry data plan for $20/month.

I have used it to surf the airnav, weathertap, and adds websites and it works very well. Also included for the $20 is unlimited email.

This phone doesn't have wifi but as long as you are in a place that has a data signal and being that the data plan is unlimited use I don't miss the wifi.

Good luck.

Jon

Thanks for all of these responses. Yes, I don't want a phone--I have a new Razor fot that. I just want a replacement for my old PDA which can access internet hot spots at no additional charge. IOW, my cellphone does give me internet, but it charges me for it because it is over their network. What I want is to pick up the free internet that I have in the air in my house, haha!

Spike, what do you think of the Palm TX?

Thanks for all of these responses. Yes, I don't want a phone--I have a new Razor fot that. I just want a replacement for my old PDA which can access internet hot spots at no additional charge.

Wow, talk about gadget cross-pollenation. We surf the web with phones and we talk on razors. ;) :rofl:

Thanks for all of these responses. Yes, I don't want a phone--I have a new Razor fot that. I just want a replacement for my old PDA which can access internet hot spots at no additional charge. IOW, my cellphone does give me internet, but it charges me for it because it is over their network. What I want is to pick up the free internet that I have in the air in my house, haha!

Spike, what do you think of the Palm TX?

Not Spike, but I love mine. I have had it for about a year now, and it is great!! No problems at all. For reviews and forums try brighthand.com, and click on the "discussion" tab. I just loaded "Behind Enemy Lines" and "Airplane" for a commercial flight tomorrow... I also wirelessly hotsynced via WiFi a few new ebooks. I have had no problems with the WiFi.....

Purdue

Not Spike either, but I like mine too. I downloaded a program called Airport Insight which is an electronic version of the A/FD. It even updates every 56 days.

http://www.notamd.com/aptins_palm.html

Now if I could only remember to take the thing with me when I go places...

Not Spike either, but I like mine too. I downloaded a program called Airport Insight which is an electronic version of the A/FD. It even updates every 56 days.

http://www.notamd.com/aptins_palm.html

Now if I could only remember to take the thing with me when I go places...
I like Airport Insight, in fact, I just finished loading in the latest release to get the current info. I actually prefer the Palm version to the WinCE version.

Though the PALM TX is suggested, be aware that if you use the AOPA airports program it won't work with OS 5.X.

HR

That limitation is precisely what made me switch over to Airport Insights.

Thanks for the insight. I've been very happy with the old Palm IIIc (OS 4.X) but delayed upgrading because anything newer has OS 5.X; and eventually the IIIc will surely die.

HR

Thanks for the insight. I've been very happy with the old Palm IIIc (OS 4.X) but delayed upgrading because anything newer has OS 5.X; and eventually the IIIc will surely die.

HR
Yeah, that was my situation too. I even contacted AOPA, but got the sense that they weren't going to upgrade the application.

Well as someone who just bought a Dell Axim...I can say that there is no other PDA on the market that can touch it, period.

I watch movies on it, have turned it into an "iPod", play games, surf the Internet, read books, and have all sorts of flying stuff on it. All with a true VGA screen, persistent storage, and amazingly large screen.

Does it have its faults? Sure, some...but hell man, it is the closest I have gotten to a really portable hand computer.

Oh BTW...for anyone that is hesitant buying a PocketPC because of legacy, or current, Palm apps, check this out:

[SIZE=-1]www.styletap.com

[/SIZE]StyleTap® allows you to run applications (and games) originally written for Palm OS handhelds on devices running:

• Windows Mobile Pocket PC
  • Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphone
So you get the best of BOTH worlds.

[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

Back