International Flying... school me

petrolero

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
petrolero
I live in Denver and have thought about flying to Canada or even Alaska.

I've never flown international.

I'd be going IFR with 4 souls on board.

My basic understanding is that I need to file eAPIS and an ICAO flight plan and my a/c needs to have the 1-ft letters (it does). My first landing must be at an airport with customs inspection (and land while they are open - do I need an appointment?).

What are the other important things I need to know? Canada vs Mexico?

Are there any slick videos on this topic? I know some pilots cross the border a lot so maybe it is not a BFD as I imagine it.

Check out aopa's page on international flying to Canada- it has everything you need.

I read in another thread that AOPA sucks. :dunno: :D

Opinions differ on that. But you can't fault the quantity and quality of information that has been proven accurate and useful.

If flying to Canada you use can pass to file,very easy,done over an 800 number. AOPA has good info available. Just returned from Alaska ,you really have to understand US procedures. Another hint when given a discreet code in Canada keep it until Canada ATC tells you to squawk 1200. If you cross the us Canada border without a discreet code you will get a visit,from border interdiction police.

I read in another thread that AOPA sucks. :dunno: :D

Do you pattern your behavior on what others say? AOPA is a strong voice for general aviation....who do you go to when you think the goverment is screwing up something aviation-related? Do you travel to DC to visit your Congressional delegation? I can't afford to do that, but I can afford to have AOPA do it for me.

Take advantage of the information they offer.

Bob Gardner

I think AOPA is doing a good job to advocate for general aviation. Just look at the numbers, we are well outnumbered % wise.

Use e-apis to file, get $30 US customs border sticker for your plane. Don't know if Canada requires a sticker or if you pay a fee on departure like the bahamas. Do fly IFR as it makes things easier. One thing to note, they want the times of your border crossing and arrival in 'local time'. This does not mean 12H clock local, it means 24H clock local time. I goofed on this one :p

Non customs issues in canada...

Tower doesn't hand you off to departure...you're expected to just switch. Sometimes they help Americans and tell you to go but don't count on it. I know it feels weird just switching over but just do it...it's expected.

STARs are expected to be flown both laterally AND vertically unless specifically told an altitude to fly.

You MUST file an alternate if IFR. Even if the sky is really really blue...file an alternate and make sure it's legal too.

Remote ATC is controlling. It's weird but you can be cleared to land by someone nowhere near the field. Cooperate and don't play the 'I'm in charge' thing at an uncontrolled airport.

1-800-CANPASS...Look into it and call two hours before landing.

Don't get a DUI (within 7 years) and fly into canada...they will deport you.

The letter 'A' goes at the end of every sentence. Be ready for that. :)

Do you pattern your behavior on what others say? AOPA is a strong voice for general aviation....who do you go to when you think the goverment is screwing up something aviation-related? Do you travel to DC to visit your Congressional delegation? I can't afford to do that, but I can afford to have AOPA do it for me.

Take advantage of the information they offer.

Bob Gardner

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1515013&postcount=7

Smilies are lost on you people... sheesh. :D :D :D :D

Non customs issues in canada...

Tower doesn't hand you off to departure...you're expected to just switch. Sometimes they help Americans and tell you to go but don't count on it. I know it feels weird just switching over but just do it...it's expected.

STARs are expected to be flown both laterally AND vertically unless specifically told an altitude to fly.

You MUST file an alternate if IFR. Even if the sky is really really blue...file an alternate and make sure it's legal too.

Remote ATC is controlling. It's weird but you can be cleared to land by someone nowhere near the field. Cooperate and don't play the 'I'm in charge' thing at an uncontrolled airport.

1-800-CANPASS...Look into it and call two hours before landing.

Don't get a DUI (within 7 years) and fly into canada...they will deport you.

The letter 'A' goes at the end of every sentence. Be ready for that. :)

Now *that* is a fine post. Great information. Thanks!

Remote ATC? Does that mean that something like approach control clears me to land? If so... weird. But hey... when in Candada do as the Canucks do, eh?

The remote ATC is more like unicom that issues landing and takeoff clearances and isn't at the field. One guy somewhere handles several airports and manages flow at each.

Its weird...you check in and self report on the CTAF and some guy tells you to join downwind for 22 and report your base. See? Weird.

Back