"Intern" CFI and Student Forget the Wheels

What amazes me is that this kind of stuff makes it into the paper. Kind of like: "Student driver hits curb while parallel parking"

Ken Ibold said:
What amazes me is that this kind of stuff makes it into the paper. Kind of like: "Student driver hits curb while parallel parking"

HAHAHA, that is the best example I've seen all day LOLOLOL

And that's why I am adamant about not changing the way you fly the pattern with one engine out in a twin unless the plane won't make the runway from the abeam position with the gear down, and that's a pretty rare condition (full gross and high DA).

Ken Ibold said:
Not only that, it was in the Boston paper and it happened in Georgia.

Take it as a sign that flying doesn't make it into the news very often so they have to scrounge for topics. We're safer than they want.

Oh yeah, two fatal crashes in Venezuela. There were probably more than 10 fatal car crashes within 1 mile of the Boston Globe this year.

Last edited:
They didn't know they had left the gear up until they had touched down. But the pilot kept his cool and didn't panic. Like what could he have done at that point (other than the obligatory "Oh, *****!)?

Larry Liebscher said:
They didn't know they had left the gear up until they had touched down. But the pilot kept his cool and didn't panic. Like what could he have done at that point (other than the obligatory "Oh, *****!)?

For starters, he could have jerked back on the yoke and reach for alt when he heard the tick, tick, tick, of the prop tips hitting the rwy. I know of one multi pilot who pushed everything forward when he heard that first sound. By the grace of G_d did he make a go around to an uneventful landing.

I wasn't there, I know nothing about this particular incident, but I dare say it could have been that several second delay in pilot response caused by a state of disbelief which is being misrepresented as a pilot's cool head.

"There were probably more than 10 fatal car crashes within 1 mile of the Boston Herald this year."

This month! Ever drive in Boston???

Merf

Richard said:
For starters, he could have jerked back on the yoke and reach for alt when he heard the tick, tick, tick, of the prop tips hitting the rwy. I know of one multi pilot who pushed everything forward when he heard that first sound. By the grace of G_d did he make a go around to an uneventful landing.

Then he would have been a hero to the papers for saving the plane...unless he threw a blade during the act.

A thrown blade and seriously unbalanced engine scares me more than a sliding stop. (Tom posted a picture of that happening to IIRC a Fairchild once, not pretty and that's one tuff engine mount) If I ever hear tingtingting, I'll be pulling on the throttle, not pushing. We can discuss 20/20 hindsight issues and theory after the fact.

Man, today must have been a SLOW news day in Boston:D . I live about 8 miles SW from KEZM. I'm pretty sure the aircraft was a Piper Seminole. I know they have one and I see it coming over my home quite often. The instrument approach for Rwy. 2 is only about 2 miles east from where I live. I get to see some procedure turns from the ground. Neat!!!

Made Associated Press. Must have been a BIG DEAL! The instructor's 15 minutes of fame.

The local Boston rags are spending more and more money trying to one up the other in sensational reporting. I used to subscribe to the Boston Globe, but after one of their blatantly incorrect aviation stories in which I documented their errors for them (not the first time) and suggested they contact one of the GA alphabet organizations before they embarrassed themselves again. The next thing I did was cancel the subscription. Every time one of their peddlers ring me up to sell me another subscription, I truck out the letter I wrote them and then tell them "NO THANK YOU, EVER!".

Just another example of faulty media reporting for the sake of selling advertising.

Back