Interior/upholsterer in Houston area?

Exocetid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Exocetid
Any recommendations on a shop that does interiors in the Houston Area?

TIA!

There is a shop at West Houston (KIWS) that does good work. The 1940 Air Terminal Museum (where I am a volunteer) had the interior of their first raffle plane, a Cessna 140, re-done there and it came out beautifully. I don't recall the name of the shop, but I can find out for you. It's on the east side of the field, directly across from the terminal.

Not in the Houston area, but there is a pilots wife in Stockton, MO that does aircraft interiors at a VERY reasonable price, and the quality is top notch ! PM me if you want the number.

Check with Hector at AeroComfort in San Antonio. He does first-class work, his prices are reasonable, and I can guarantee you'll be delighted with the result. He did a magnificent job on my Mooney a few months ago, and from the photos of a recent interior of his on a Mooney forum, I'd say my gorgeous new interior- upholstery, side panels, overhead, glareshield, etc., was no fluke.

Check with Hector at AeroComfort in San Antonio. He does first-class work, his prices are reasonable, and I can guarantee you'll be delighted with the result. He did a magnificent job on my Mooney a few months ago, and from the photos of a recent interior of his on a Mooney forum, I'd say my gorgeous new interior- upholstery, side panels, overhead, glareshield, etc., was no fluke.

How did you handle getting back and forth from NC? A good interior takes at least a week.

Actually, a Mooney shop in southern Indiana took the interior out, crated it, sent it to AeroComfort in San Antonio, and three weeks later, uncrated the miracle, installed it, and I picked the new airplane up and flew it home, grinning like an idiot the whole way. (Used FF miles, endured commercial in the interim.)
All the negotiations were handled by email and telephone. It was surprisingly easy, the price was fair, lower than other quotes for far better quality, and the guy's a real design artist. It's great to be the recipient of such pride in workmanship. Can't recommend AeroComfort highly enough.

Actually, a Mooney shop in southern Indiana took the interior out, crated it, sent it to AeroComfort in San Antonio, and three weeks later, uncrated the miracle, installed it, and I picked the new airplane up and flew it home, grinning like an idiot the whole way. (Used FF miles, endured commercial in the interim.)
All the negotiations were handled by email and telephone. It was surprisingly easy, the price was fair, lower than other quotes for far better quality, and the guy's a real design artist. It's great to be the recipient of such pride in workmanship. Can't recommend AeroComfort highly enough.

I am blown away by this, not a bad idea. I could pull my interior myself and ship it--getting it back in, that's a bit different :wink2:

San Antonio isn't that far from Houston. Can you find someone to give you a ride? Or do a cheap car rental? Heck, Southwest generally has really cheap fares between the cities.

San Antonio isn't that far from Houston. Can you find someone to give you a ride? Or do a cheap car rental? Heck, Southwest generally has really cheap fares between the cities.

That isn't the issue (I did my Mooney complex and familiarization at KSAT). Most people recommend that you be close to an upholsterer and having it done in Houston (or western Louisiana for that matter) means I could do a mid-work check-up on them since the drive is short.

That isn't the issue (I did my Mooney complex and familiarization at KSAT). Most people recommend that you be close to an upholsterer and having it done in Houston (or western Louisiana for that matter) means I could do a mid-work check-up on them since the drive is short.

Ah, OK. Different perspective. When I lived in San Antonio, I occasionally went over to Houston for lunch, and I frequently went over to West Loop for 2 hour meetings on business.... Sometimes I flew, sometimes I drove. YMMV

Ah, OK. Different perspective. When I lived in San Antonio, I occasionally went over to Houston for lunch, and I frequently went over to West Loop for 2 hour meetings on business.... Sometimes I flew, sometimes I drove. YMMV

Good grief, you were a "Texas Driving Fool!" :wink2:

This is a phrase I came up with when we returned to Texas after a 20 year hiatus. It describes people who consider an 8-hour round trip drive a "day trip". Of course, San Antone is only about a 6-hour round trip from Houston, eight+ from Beaumont.

I had mine done as part of the annual, as seats and panels had to be removed anyway. Isn't there a Mooney shop with a fine reputation in SA, too?
Anyhow, check out the pix on MooneySpace.com of the latest AeroComfort interior. Mine was posted in January 2010, but there's a new white-gray one that is just gorgeous. Here's a link: http://www.mooneyspace.com/index.cfm?mainaction=posts&forumid=1&threadid=1417

Last edited:
Good grief, you were a "Texas Driving Fool!" :wink2:

I did get to know the folks at KSGR pretty well... (departure procedure: turn right after the prison, climb to 3000....)

This is a phrase I came up with when we returned to Texas after a 20 year hiatus. It describes people who consider an 8-hour round trip drive a "day trip". Of course, San Antone is only about a 6-hour round trip from Houston, eight+ from Beaumont.

3 hours each way by car, maybe a little less. Much less by airplane. 2-3 hour meeting. All in a day's work. If I went over for a ballgame or theater production, though, I'd spend the night.

Back