Interesting Story -- LONG

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
I visited one of my broadcasting school classmates yesterday. He is a former CFI(not mine), and used to be the Program Chairman for his EAA chapter. He told me the following story about a lady having been a recommended presenter, so he contacted her.

All of 5'2", gorgeous and feisty, she was a pilot who had early dreams. It seems her father owned a gravel pit/construction company on Long Island, NY; and by the time the lady was 14 years old she could operate every piece of equipment in the fleet. One day she and her Dad were at an airport, she clinging to the chain-link fence for a lengthy period. "I want to try that," she told her father.
And true to her regimen she became PP-ASEL.

After quite some time and wanting more, she visited an airline and inquired, "Who do I see about a job?" The guy with the suit thought that the little lady wanted a customer service type position and so directed her to another department. "No; I'm a pilot; I want to fly your planes," she responded.

"Lady, you got balls!" he responded, but then redirected her to a higher being in the operation.
The new interviewer, after a lengthy conversation,
outlined his company's policies; to which the lady said, "Sooner or later you're going to have to hire a female pilot, so it might as well be me."

"Lady, you've got grit;" and he hired her. She became U. S. Air's first female pilot and, later, their first lady captain. Her husband, 6'2", is also a Captain, though I don't know if with U.S. Air(He used to fly for CapeAir(Massachusetts).

When she first started with U.S. Air she told the flight crew, "Guys, I don't have balls but I have spunk; and when I do something wrong I expect you to tell me." After her presentation at EAA she was asked if she ever had problem passengers, to which she said there was one in particular.
"When I was flying charter there was this guy who, when I entered the cockpit said, "Are YOU flying this plane? Then I'm not flying with YOU; deal's off!"

"Mister, I AM flying this plane and you'll be in it. Or if the plane doesn't leave, you're paying for it, anyway." She flew -- and he shut up.

HR

Back