Interesting perspective on User Fees, etc.

I've been reading the AvWeb newsletter twice a week for the past year. I've missed a lot by not digging more into the articles. I'll have to go back and read more of this guy and others.

Recently in listening to JFK tower on the web, I heard a short conversation between a pilot and controller. I got the impression the pilot had previously been a controller and moved on to a better life for himself. One of the things mentioned was staffing issues. The controller something to the effect, "It's that twenty-five year mark. Most of 'em are retiring."

I recall that time in August of 1981. I was near the end of my PPL training at Navy Jax (Naval Air Station Jacksonville). I recall talking with a CFI's who were also P-3 pilots. Navy Jax lost several of its controllers to temporary assignment with civilian facilities. I'm sure that was also true of Cecil Field where I was based with S-3A's.

It took a few years but the FAA got staffed up again. The military had its controllers back, at least the ones who had re-enlisted and didn't go to work for the FAA. Now, it's twenty-five years later.

Is it possible the proverbial chicken has "come home to roost" again? Add to that, the battle over user fees. Personally, I'm against them. There's plenty of waste in the government. I suppose it may be difficult to get Ted Steven's to give up his bridge to nowhere in favor of NGATS. But, as long as the politicians are able to cater to the uninformed (read ignorant) we will have to be the ones to speak up for what is right.

The problem is... there are some 600,000 pilots in all in this country. They (We) are the ones using the NAS. So, why are we so quietly standing by, letting the airline executives control how the FAA operates?

It's just a minor thought by some peon, instrument rated, private pilot.

Don Brown's said:
You might as well put a new coat of paint on the building and stick a "For Sale" sign on the front lawn. I believe your Air Traffic Control system -- the one you paid for -- is up for sale.
And that's what I'm afraid of too...

Back