Interesting observation

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I just don't understand what I saw yesterday. It occured to me the guy was killing time waiting for a friend who did a no show and/or he had a sick engine, or it was he with a medical deficiency.

A C-182 flies in at TPA + 1,000 and flies a rectangular course mimicing the pattern directly over the pattern for about :45 minutes. He then flies away until I lose sight of him. Ten minutes later I see him at TPA making a 45 entry to downwind. He comes in high and fast and levels at 200 agl over the rwy and flies the patt one lap to a landing.

Again, he's high and fast but this time he pushes the nose down to force a landing. He bounces one time high into the air off the mains only, levels off at 30 agl, firewalls it, and goes around. His next attempt is good and looks on speed for a normal landing. He makes it in and he could have used any taxiway to clear but instead he rolls all the way to the end of this 4,000' rwy.

He back taxis the entire rwy to exit at the approach end where he exits into the crowd at the runup pad. Then he taxis along the parallel taxiway all the way to the departure end, turns around, and comes to a stop at the fuel island. He doesn't shut down, waits 5 minutes or so, then makes a 180* turn to taxi to the departure end again.

He turns around and taxis to the approach end where he makes a run up then taxis to parking and shuts down. He doesn't exit the plane. He starts up after a couple minutes and taxis for departure. He takes the rwy. It looks like he's making a soft fld take off as he's popping a wheelie. He over rotates to very close to a tail strike, recovers, and immediately closes the throttle. He takes the next taxiway to clear the rwy and taxis back to the runup area.

He sits there for about 5 minutes at idle power then rolls onto the rwy for departure. He makes a normal take off, climbs several thousand feet above TPA and again makes several patterns but does not descend for landing. After about four laps of the 'pattern' he departs the area.

Because I myself was killing a bit of time I had the opportunity to watch this guy. At no time while he was on the ground was he out of my sight. No one entered or exited the plane. I was within earshot of a speaker dialed into the CTAF but I never heard this guy make a single transmission.

stolen plane with a current/former student on board?

This wasn't in Alaska was it? Some people still teach themselves up here :eek: :D

Maybe he was breaking in a new engine...not sure. Being 1000 feet above TPA over the runway could have been ground reference maneuver practice, but I doubt it.

Seems a bit reckless either way.

That was me. I was too busy reading the POH to be bothered with that darn radio. Nobody ever talks to me on it any way. I think I have the flying part down pat now.

My vote is for elderly with lost or about to lose medical.

Hearing stories like this scares me...these are the people who make us all look bad when they do something sooo stupid and they crash....
but who knows maybe there was a perfectly good reason for him to be trying to destroy his airplane...

you should have went over to the plane to make sure everything is ok...who knows..mabe someone stole the plane who isnt a pilot...

Ant

I always fly like that?

Pilot getting checked out in a 182 for the first time... plus slavedriver checkout instructor?
"No, go around AGAIN." "Pull off over here." "Taxi over there." "Show me a soft-field takeoff!" "No, you want xx knots on short final... go around and show me AGAIN!"
??

--Kath

Sounds like he was getting his 90 day currency right before he leaves to fly in to Oshkosh.

Back