Interesting History - Depression Related

• Thread starter Anonymous Student
  • Start date
A

Anonymous Student

Hello, I was just curious what this forum thinks my chances might be at getting a Class 3 medical with my history— abbreviated below.

When I was 16 years-old I went through some minor circumstantial depression and was put on an SSRI (can't remember what exactly). Shortly after going on the drug, within a month or so, I began having suicidal ideation for the first time in my life and was voluntarily hospitalized for a couple of days. I left the hospital, went off the SSRI and bingo— no suicidal thoughts.

Fast forward to 24 years-old. Start seeing a new therapist after a break up and he puts me on an SSRI. Enough time has passed that I decide, what the hell, let's try it again— and bam... within a month or so of being on an SSRI, depression gets worse, suicidal ideation. Go back voluntarily to inpatient, leave after a couple of days, get off the SSRI and no more suicidal thoughts.

As this is a huge symptom of SSRIs, I, and my current therapist believe this is why I had suicidal thoughts in the first place. My brain just doesn't jive well with SSRIs. Shame that it took two instances to discover because now this is a "recurring" problem.

I haven't been on an SSRI in over eight years, have had no instances of depression, and no medical problems since the one when I was 24.

Be honest. What are my chances? Light sport forever?

Yeah, one big help. Therapists shouldn't be making diagnoses or prescribing drugs. A masters in psychology is less medical training that even I have.

The thing that bodes against you is the fact that all this seems to be recurring. You should have a frank discussion with a very good AME before commencing an application.

LSA forever, I’m afraid……

Oh boy not what I was hoping to hear. But I really trust your opinion.

Is there any kind of time frame where this history seems less of an issue? Maybe if I wait until my 40s? (I’m 32 now) Or if money and cog screens can make it somehow work?

it’s terribly unfortunate because the supposed solution ended up being the problem and causing the symptoms.

Oh boy not what I was hoping to hear. But I really trust your opinion.

Is there any kind of time frame where this history seems less of an issue? Maybe if I wait until my 40s? (I’m 32 now) Or if money and cog screens can make it somehow work?

it’s terribly unfortunate because the supposed solution ended up being the problem and causing the symptoms.

This is very much SGOTI advice, but I think because you've have two hospitalizations for suicidal ideations, they won't consider it, even if it's been years and years. It would be considered recurring depression and if they issue you, you'd have to be on a treatment plan and on drugs, and probably a bunch of other stuff, knowing the FAA.

Cog screen is usually used for people with stuff like an ADHD diagnosis, and I don't think you've got enough money to bribe the FAA. ;)

I think therapists and doctors need to stop giving out meds for "transitory" depression. There are so many other healthier ways for people who are struggling with things like break-ups, parents divorcing, being bullied in school, etc. to work through all of that.

Yeah, one big help. Therapists shouldn't be making diagnoses or prescribing drugs. A masters in psychology is less medical training that even I have.
There's no state in the country where someone with only a master's in psychology can prescribe medicine. And there are very few places where psychologists can. The chances that it was a psychologist who prescribed the OP an SSRI 16 years ago are close to zero.

I think therapists and doctors need to stop giving out meds for "transitory" depression. There are so many other healthier ways for people who are struggling with things like break-ups, parents divorcing, being bullied in school, etc. to work through all of that.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. Both situations where circumstantial and the supposed solutions just gave me more grief and problems. Nothing couldn't have been solved with just a little talk and some time, and now I'm paying for the mistakes of docs w/ a quick draw on their prescription pads. Almost makes me wish I was raised a Scientologist. Ha.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back