Interesting Heated Runway Concept

Seven hours, says Ceylan, is "way more than enough to melt an inch of ice or snow."

How many airports can way for seven hours after a freeze to be operational again?...that only get an inch.

Could you turn it on when the snow started falling, and would it keep the runway clear?

I'd hate to see their electric bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but if they can save on equipment costs it may not end up being that much of a hit to the overall budget
Could you turn it on when the snow started falling, and would it keep the runway clear?

I would imagine this would be part of the intended use. Add in that it could also be marketed as an aid to the total removal solution to speed up cleaning operations.

I ran a quick calculation, it would take around 15 megawatts to heat a 4800' X 100" runway. Assuming $.08/kWH, that's $1,188 per hour.

It would cost $8,316 to operate the heat elements for seven hours.

So eight snow periods lasting seven hours per month would cost $66,528.

Or maybe my calculations are all wrong. :D

Last edited:
Or maybe my calculations are all wrong. :D
Natural convection over a flat plate at about -10deg C?

I'd also include heat conducted into the ground that you'll be paying for inadvertently.

If its a windy day you could do forced convection and watch the price really soar!

Around here many folks circulate their spring water through the concrete, keeps it warm enough in winter and cool enough in summer. This would be a better idea if you asked me. Does not apply to all areas but even if they had to heat the water or glycol mixture first it would be a better idea if you ask me.

And there are places like here where literally NOTHING works when it's-20 with windchill values from -35

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Welcome to Montana !
At least u guys have some mountains here and there to block the wind, at least after miles city, it's flat as the artificial horizon line ....ND

At least u guys have some mountains here and there to block the wind, at least after miles city, it's flat as the artificial horizon line ....ND

Unfortunately I am beyond Miles city, right at the start of the Badlands. In reality we are in a desert but at times it gets to -40F, that is how babies get made!

The article didn't mention drainage. Without adequate places for the water to go it will become a skating rink when the power is turned off.

Back