Interesting day: Multiple roles and rocket launches (long)

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I worked early to organize some training materials and documentation for the Cessna 150 several of my new students just bought to train in. Then I flew it 20 minutes south to KFBL to become a student myself!

I added a glider rating a decade ago, but ran out of time during training so settled for glider private privileges on my commercial certificate, which has always bugged me. So I decided to knock out my commercial glider, then add the -G to my CFI.

So today it was time to get reacquainted with the Grob 103 glider which I'd flown several times years ago. It was good to be back in that sleek glass ship again. But the real treat came from the tow. I've only done aero tows, being yanked around the sky by a powered ship. But today I got introduced to winch launches.

Picture a machine with a huge spool of very thin, but very strong blue rope sitting a little over 4,000' away from you.....with Corvette engine hooked up to the spool!

I think this is the closest thing to a Navy catapult launch that a civilian can do. The acceleration is breathtaking, then you pitch up....WAAAY up and you're going up like a rocket! At one point the vario was just over the 10,000 fpm mark! Definitely an E Ticket ride.

Then you hear small a *click* and you're free. Pitch down to maintain airspeed and you're off soaring. It was a marginal soaring day, but we did find one 2-4 kt thermal in the pattern on a couple of flights.

I did four of those today. By the second landing I had it dialed back in and it felt like I'd never left. But we did get some excitement on the fourth pull: Somewhere around 300' things suddenly changed rapidly....the rope had broke. We had talked about rope-break scenarios (as all glider pilots train), but this was the first real deal for me. But it was truly a non-event. Pitched the nose over, pulled full spoilers (we still had half the runway ahead of us), and landed on the remaining runway....even reduced spoilers at the end to extend the glide to closer to the end of the runway to minimize ground handling.

It's a real hoot and if you've never experienced a winch tow I would highly recommend it!

Flew back to KFCM. Met my instrument student and abused him under the hood to KSGS. Then put him in a Apache Twin and helped him figure out how to fly a twin when it's half a twin. Then back to KSGS. He was then back under the hood from KSGS to KLVN where I jumped out and jumped into a RV-7A to help the new owner (a 757 captain) figure out his GRT EFIS. Turns out some things were mis-programmed on it so it wasn't behaving the way I knew it should. After 2.5 hours of tinkering we had it singing a new song, had the databases updated, had it chatting with the SL30 and had the owner smiling. We then went and test flew it. I love RVs. I want one.

Then he flew me back to KFCM where I called it a day.

Last edited:
Not a bad day's work!

I had no idea gliders could be winch-launched. I'll have to look that up. I am but a newbie in the world of aviation.:D

Not a bad day's work!

I had no idea gliders could be winch-launched. I'll have to look that up. I am but a newbie in the world of aviation.:D

It's much more common in Europe, while aero tows are predominant here. I cannot recommend it highly enough! That's true of gliders in general.

We normally aero tow. Twice a year (April and October) we camp out on the local dry lake for a weekend of auto tows. Same idea as a winch launch, but a little slower getting up to speed for the climb. 1800ft of rope we get about 1100AGL.

I've done the winch with the AGCSC, (Assoc Glider Club of Southern Calif). Things happen fast on the winch.

The Grob 103 is a great trainer, if you can fly the 103, well... You know the rest.

It's much more common in Europe, while aero tows are predominant here. I cannot recommend it highly enough! That's true of gliders in general.

LDJones: PS - see my other thread. Passed my checkride, and the docs you gave me to study from helped. Thanks!

The glider club here in Boerne has one. VERY impressive to watch! Especially from downwind where you see a glider go to nearly your altitude at a very fast rate!

Ryan

I should have included a link to this YouTube video in my original post:

This is the glider and airport I trained at yesterday, and the guy in front is Don Ingraham, the owner and instructor with whom I flew. He is one of the nicest, most enjoyable people to be around that you'll ever meet. His passion for soaring is very infectious.

The later versions of the 103 were approved for aerobatic flight :rollercoaster:

Coming from a K21, I thought the 103 was 'docile'. This was until I transitioned into single seaters, they basically fly to wherever you think you want to be.

Not a bad day's work!

Many if not most gliders have two attach points for the towrope, one on the nose for aero tow and one on the belly (near the CG) for winches. One of the weirdest things about a winch launch is that the harder you pull back on the stick, the faster you go (till the rope or a spar breaks).

One of the weirdest things about a winch launch is that the harder you pull back on the stick, the faster you go (till the rope or a spar breaks).

Or until you get the tail to stall :D

(only possible in a few older gliders)

Or until you get the tail to stall :D

(only possible in a few older gliders)
Never heard that one. If the tail can stall on tow, couldn't it also stall in a high g pullup?

An Apache half-twin is more like a 160hp Bellanca Viking . . . . 'sporty.'

For some reason I am always afraid that the release mechanism would jam. Or more likely, the winch would fail to develop enough power and I would overfly the winch with an equally fatal result.

On second thought I'm always afraid that wings would fall off the Grob.

Did you release the rope when it broke, if so how far down the runway was it>

When I broke the rope at 400' feet I thought I was about 1/2 way down the 3000 foot runway, I did a 360 and landed. We then went looking for the weak link and tow ring where I thought the rope and broken and I had released it at. After looking and not finding it we we pushed the glider back to stage for another launch and found the Weak link about 600 feet down the runway. Apparently I was climbing out a lot quicker than I thought I was, but was never at an attitude I couldn't recover from.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

For some reason I am always afraid that the release mechanism would jam. Or more likely, the winch would fail to develop enough power and I would overfly the winch with an equally fatal result.

There is a 'weak link' built into the rope for that and other reasons. If the winch fails (or the rope breaks), depending on decision height you either land straight ahead or after a 360.

On second thought I'm always afraid that wings would fall off the Grob.

Burkhard Grob is a machinery manufacturer who dabbled in airplanes (the earlier aircraft displayed some of the 'if a little bit of resin is good, more resin is more better' attitude). The wing root mounting mechanism on the G103-III was pretty elegant with the spars sliding into machined receivers in the respective other spar and the wing roots being held in place with something that can be best explained as a large pneumatic fitting.

Many if not most gliders have two attach points for the towrope, one on the nose for aero tow and one on the belly (near the CG) for winches. One of the weirdest things about a winch launch is that the harder you pull back on the stick, the faster you go (till the rope or a spar breaks).

And that adjustment in thinking is REALLY HARD to make!!

Did you release the rope when it broke, if so how far down the runway was it>

When I broke the rope at 400' feet I thought I was about 1/2 way down the 3000 foot runway, I did a 360 and landed. We then went looking for the weak link and tow ring where I thought the rope and broken and I had released it at. After looking and not finding it we we pushed the glider back to stage for another launch and found the Weak link about 600 feet down the runway. Apparently I was climbing out a lot quicker than I thought I was, but was never at an attitude I couldn't recover from.

I didn't pull the handle and I don't think Don did, either. I'm thinking the weight of the rope and/or drag of the parachute pulled it free of the tow hook.

We found the parachute end maybe 250-300' from where we started the launch...surprised the heck out of us. The wind was blowing pretty good pretty much down the runway, so maybe that helped carry it back a bit, although it probably wouldn't drag much rope across the ground.

Jonesy, How far a drive would that be from the twin cities, and do they only do winch launches? I've got a friend in St. Paul whom I'd like to buy a ride for.

Back