Interesting day in my IR journey

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
I woke up this morning thinking this was supposed to be check ride day and for once, it was GORGEOUS. Calm winds in the Chicago area, bright, sunny...yeah there would be thermals in the afternoon (probably) but what a day. Oh well....my luck.

I had the DPE and plane scheduled for all day....so, my son used the first two hours of my scheduled airplane and DPE time to get a club checkout. He's home for the summer from college, and needs to fly. I freed up part of the day for the plane so others could enjoy.

When my son completed a successful check out, the DPE came back to the club office. I told him I wanted some ground regarding approaches. We covered that and he was quizzing me about all sorts of things, weather, flight planning, personal minimums, scenarios, fuel rules, aircraft systems etc. etc. None of the topics were too long, but by the time we were done with what I wanted to cover and his questions, it was 2.5 hours later. I told him I needed to fly....

I had previously filed an IFR flight plan to a nearby airport that he told me we were going to. After pre-flighting, I got clearance, set up Garmin, freqs, flight plan, initial altitude etc. Received taxi clearance, did instrument check, then tower clearance and instructions. He jotted a couple of things down. Took off and the duck bill went down over my eyes at about 200 feet. Switched to Chicago Departure, hand flew the radar vectors, climbed to altitude, and set auto pilot, listened to the ATIS of the airport, did first pass of landing checklist, approach and missed briefs, set radios (airport was only 15 minutes from my departure field), was handed off to Milwaukee approach told them what we wanted, was told Roger and to expect VOR approach, and loaded approach into Garmin. When triggered by ATC I activated the approach. Did the full VOR approach (procedure turn) into a missed and published hold. I beat myself up a bit as I didn't like my performance on the miss and hold. I was instructed to request the exit from the hold and into an ILS. After I got clearance from ATC, we landed, got clearance to back taxi and received clearance for take off. We then did unusual attitudes (did not do partial panel as I had not had the instruction yet), did a GPS approach and landed.

During debrief, imagine my surprise when he said the only two things I did wrong were a brief altitude excursion (he said that wouldn't have busted me as I quickly corrected without him prompting me), and a 20 foot drop below MDA (I would have been busted for that). He suggested I set the altitude bug for an altitude slightly higher than MDA, as he wouldn't bust me for maintaining a slightly higher min altitude. He then said I was put through a quasi mock checkride and that (1) he had never seen me fly so well (2) other than the MDA slight excursion, there was nothing in my performance to indicate a failing performance (granted we didn't do partial panel as I had not practiced yet - that will be done this next week). Imagine my surprise and a confidence boost.

Due to his schedule and the plane schedule, my ride will be in 2 weeks (5 days before my wedding), so I have time to polish up with my instructor. My fiancee is being more and more supportive about this endeavor and she says she is happy and proud.

So there it goes.....

Last edited:
Don't forget +100/-0

Good luck. When are you going to do your partial panel?

Don't forget +100/-0

Good luck. When are you going to do your partial panel?

On Monday. I have 1/2 day sessions set up with my instructor Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Tomorrow, I am flying with a friend of mine who has her Canadian ATP and CFII. She only has her FAA PPL, and is working on the appropriate conversions. She will act as a safety pilot as I shoot approaches, missed, and published holds.

Monday night, a guy that is at about the same place in his training and is a student of my instructor will split the cost of an IR ground session with the DPE. My instructor will also be hitting the oral portion hard with me.

Plan is that I will have a mock checkride on the 11th, polish on the 12th, and then the real deal on the 13th. I'll probably also fly a bit more between my sessions next week.

Good luck Art!

Thanks Mark! Getting more comfortable with ATC communications. Had an interesting issue with Milwaukee approach. Was practicing approaches and missed into published holds around KUES and the BAE VOR. Suddenly over the air...3096B Milwaukee approach - request...

I responded and they went on to say that the FSS needed help in determining if a VOR transmit freq was working. Dummy me....I said sure we'd help. My instructor said he would handle the comm while I practice flying the hold. The FSS guy once we established transmitting on one freq and receiving on another kept going on and on. He was like the Maytag repair guy in the commercials. Lonely! I almost got on the comm to tell him we were in the middle of a lesson, but my instructor beat me to the punch.

Last edited:
What is this "Garmin" thing of which you speak? ;)

So was this a stage check with the same DPE that you are using for your check ride?

Good luck on the real thing, Arthur!

What is this "Garmin" thing of which you speak? ;)

So was this a stage check with the same DPE that you are using for your check ride?

Good luck on the real thing, Arthur!

Thanks Stan. Been taking a quasi sabbatical from work. Trying to get stuff done in evenings.

And yes....he is. Figured that it would be a good idea.

No. They went to AOPA in Indy. I was in right seat of a Cirrus SR20. I'll be in 96B tomorrow morning with a safety pilot, and in the afternoon Im going on a VFR XC to Janesville and back. Working tomorrow?

Yep, 1-9 PM. See you then. I've been seeing that plane flying nonstop the last few days!

I flew it T-F last week. Will be flying it tomorrow practicing approaches, missed and holds in the morning over Kenosha. In the afternoon, I will be doing my first father/son XC to Janesville VFR. As I won't be with an instructor, I can't file IFR although I really want to. Enjoy flying on instrument flight plans far more than flying VFR. Go figure.

On way back from Janesville, maybe I'll contact approach with a request for an ILS 16 at Exec. Hope to chat.....

Back