Interesting ASF video

Yep - I have used flight simulator to explain similar situation - I showed people the JFK Jr accident with them at the controls on a foggy dark night - they all died. I then showed them how the autopilot would keep the airplane straight and level and even shoot the ILS into Nantucket.

Thanks Felix, i watched the video and took the test,
Dave G
P.S. i cant talk for everyone but i do like seeing this kind of post (Very HELPFUL)
Thanks Again

You have to be an AOPA member to view it, just another way for them to get your $$$$$$.

You have to be an AOPA member to view it, just another way for them to get your $$$$$$.

So what's wrong with that? They give an awful lot for that $39. They sent me a tee-shirt a couple of weeks back for thaking that particular course.

That is a great re-enactment.

Its scary, because I once almost did something similar. Took off from 3V5, headed north towards the Wyoming state line, slid west there and headed south, trying to head towards Grand Junction and eventually to Las Vegas, NV.

Weather was reported bad, but I figured I could pick my way through it. I started down towards the lower visibility, figuring I could still see approx. 4-5 miles at that point.

I continued a little bit, since the AWOS at Walden-Jackson (33V) was reporting ceilings much higher and visibility was 5. I was hoping to just pop through enough to get there, and then it would clear up a bit, it seemed.

I started going lower, trying to make it just a little further, figuring "Its only about 20 miles!!" Visibility dropped to 3 miles or slightly lower.

For some reason, and I don't know what it was, suddenly I just said, out loud "What the hell am I doing?" And I turned around and went back to 3V5 to spend another night with my friends.

I think I would have made it, honestly, but it was not a chance worth taking. There was snow in the area, and it was cold enough to snow again, and I would have been awfully close to popping into IMC, low altitude in mountains.

I'm still here to tell the story...but that ASF video hits close to home. My briefings were very similar to that. I was not on Flight Following since I could not get radar or radio from Center in those mountains.

You can get a 6 month free trial membership which gives you access to all of the safety foundation classes and the Flight Training magazine.

Or, you could come over to my house and watch it on my computer.

You don't have to be an AOPA member. You can sign up for free for that stuff, using the register link. Its free. Or if you were ever a member, you can use your old login, which is what I did.

You don't have to be an AOPA member. You can sign up for free for that stuff, using the register link. Its free. Or if you were ever a member, you can use your old login, which is what I did.
Yeah, I was going to say that I didn't think ASF materials required an AOPA membership. Whatever your opinions about AOPA, I think ASF is a Good Thing!

Felix thanks for posting that. That pilot was such a schmuck. I say that so I don't say anything harsher. I mean how many times was he warned. He certainly had one of the deadly attitudes. I really wonder if he was scared when he was 300' off the deck or was he just thinking " yeah I can squeak through this no problem!"

But for the grace of Odin nearly went I. VFR day, but a 3 mile VFR day coming back from Oshcosh. Flew over the lake to get around Kenosha's airspace and below the class bravo. Lost sight of the shoreline. Mist and water all around, couldn't see a horizon of any kind. All of a sudden I hear my engine racing, and see the rpms are up. Do my scan and see myself in a steep descent. A little longer and you guys would be calling me a schmuck (not that you aren't already).

Adam, I wondered about the same thing. He didn't even sound worried at all, which is truly amazing. One has to wonder how many times he has done this before....

Adam, I wondered about the same thing. He didn't even sound worried at all, which is truly amazing. One has to wonder how many times he has done this before....

Yup thats exactly my line of thinking Felix. If it were me I'd have some serious pucker factor.

Is that Bill Kurtis doing the narration?

Argh! Got through the entire thing (good, BTW), and the Quiz wouldn't come up!

Well, after the fourth try it eventually did. SLOW, though!

Last edited:
The whole lesson seemed to delay after any button press. I tried several time to make the quiz come up and when it did it started repeating questions:dunno:

He didn't even sound worried at all, which is truly amazing. One has to wonder how many times he has done this before....
I'm guessing a number of times. He had certainly flown the route before since he was joking around with the FSS briefer about knowing the identifier for the destination airport. I also think the reason he didn't sound that worried is that by the time he was really in trouble we weren't hearing him any more.

But for the grace of Odie nearly went I.

There, fixed that for ya.

odie.gif

VFR day, but a 3 mile VFR day coming back from Oshcosh. Flew over the lake to get around Kenosha's airspace and below the class bravo. Lost sight of the shoreline. Mist and water all around, couldn't see a horizon of any kind. All of a sudden I hear my engine racing, and see the rpms are up. Do my scan and see myself in a steep descent. A little longer and you guys would be calling me a schmuck (not that you aren't already).

That'll get your attention... and put a crease in the seat. :eek:

Shortly after I got my private, I took my wife for a dinner flight to beautiful Ardmore, Oklahoma (OK, anything for the opportunity to fly, and I had not yet "dialed-in" my fly-to dining destinations).

The weather was excellent - on paper - clear and visibility called "eight miles."

Well.

At altitude, I could discern no horizon at all; I almost scrubbed the mission when halfway there, but decided it'd be OK, so pressed on and got there safely, landed, tied down, taxicabbed, ate. Flying home was better, interestingly, because the lights helped define the horizon better.

Still, scared me pretty good, reminded me that conservative flight decisions are better.

Still, scared me pretty good, reminded me that conservative flight decisions are better.
That's great that you and some of the other people who have posted in this thread were "scared straight" so to speak. Then there's the other set of people who get away with it once and it only emboldens them to try again and again, in worse and worse conditions. Some may get away with it forever and some don't.

Back