Intercom/headset amplifier

Montana Larry

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Montana Larry
I am a relatively low time pilot, with a four place plane and a two place intercom. In an attempt to solve this problem, I purchased a splitter cable which is suppose to allow you to plug two headsets into one port (if “port” is the correct term). The problem however, is that there is just not enough power with two headsets connected, for either the headset speakers or the mic. It is very faint. I would think it would be easy to purchase an “in-line amplifier” that runs either on battery or 12 v power, to boost the power going and coming from the headset. However, I haven’t been able to find anything like that, or else I don’t know what I’m looking for (the latter is a very likely possibility). Any suggestions or ideas for solving my problem? Or am I just going to have to install a 4 place intercom?

Larry

P.S. I you have any Federal tax questions related to aviation, I would be glad to help you with those.

Running an amplifier in-line would create some current issues that are undesirable in that situation. Mainly the delayed side tone from the surge values it would generate.

In most "installed" intercom cases you can split a single point into 2 or even 3 connections because the resistance occurs in the headset(s). However there are some caveats and things you should test. Make sure the intercom is properly powered. Is it a portable? Does it run off a 9v Battery or is it connected to the aircraft power via connection? 12(14)v or 24(28)v?
Do you have the intercom turned all the way up when testing your splitter? (Remember, your intercom should be set to the highest volume setting allowable to return a clear sound. Then you adjust your headset for finite control.)
If you're running a portable intercom off a 9v battery system, I suggest a 4 place portable intercom to power all positions properly.
If you are running a rack intercom and the above was done during testing then there is a deeper issue if the splitter is returning diminished power to the headsets.
That's something I would suggest discussing with your A&P.

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:
Shane, thank you for your input. I have a rack or installed intercom, as opposed to a portable intercom. I did turn up the volume all the way on the intercom, as well as on the headset, and the sound is barely auditable with splitter, but just fine at half-volume without the splitter. So, this wasn’t what I wanted to hear, but I appreciate you taking the time to answer the question.

Any idea how much time it might take a radio shop to replace my two place intercom with a four place intercom?

Larry

It completely depends on the shop. If you have a voltmeter and some time, I would call Abram & Par at Pilot USA. Par is one of the best electrical engineers I know who specializes in aircraft communications and might have some other tests or possibilities for you before going to the avionics shop with the plane.

949-748-8880

Back