Insurance

GauzeGuy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GauzeGuy
My next major aviation goal is to own an aircraft. Based on what I'll be able to spend, projected mission, etc, it will likely be a common trainer with a cruise in the 100-120 kt range.

If I have the vast majority of my time in a 172, will buying a different aircraft type (152, Cherokee, Ercoupe, etc) result in a higher rate than if I bought a 172? Or will my costs be the same across the board with any typical 180hp or less, fixed gear single engine aircraft?

about the same. you may get a small break for Time in Type but probably not much. I think my insurance went down 30 bucks after 1 year and 100 hours in my Cherokee.

You'll pay significantly less for one of those 2-seaters than one of the 4-seaters because the hull value is probably significantly less and there's half as many seats. Hull rates are usually based directly on hull value, and the liability rate will be lower because the liability rate is heavily affected by the number of seats. But if you compare a 172 to a 4-seat Cherokee, or a 152 to an Ercoupe, with similar hull values for each case, the difference won't be significant -- they're all simple fixed gear airplanes. If you have no time in type, there may be a checkout requirement of a couple of hours or so, but the rate won't be much different as long as you agree to that condition.

My next major aviation goal is to own an aircraft. Based on what I'll be able to spend, projected mission, etc, it will likely be a common trainer with a cruise in the 100-120 kt range.

If I have the vast majority of my time in a 172, will buying a different aircraft type (152, Cherokee, Ercoupe, etc) result in a higher rate than if I bought a 172? Or will my costs be the same across the board with any typical 180hp or less, fixed gear single engine aircraft?

As a rough guide if you have a hangar is about $300 per $10,000 hull. My $20k plane was $485-600 and my $60k plane was $1180-1700.

The higher numbers are what my first year cost, the lower number after I had 100 hrs.

So buy what you want to fly, best value you can find.

Back