Insurance

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Can't find the original thread where folks were comparing insurance rates.

Had posted I there that we thought ours was going up slightly this year, but we had the broker shop a bit and it actually went down significantly (10%). We also adjusted (downward) the hull value a bit since over-insurance can lead to odd problems if something is "totaled".

Main change was to remove the "non-owned" aircraft coverage. If we fly someone else's aircraft, we're on our own. I do fly other aircraft so I'll be hunting for my own non-owned coverage. Will also require a CAP add-on for it. No reason to have the other co-owners paying for it or working out some wonky arrangement where I pay the LLC more than they do for the difference in price.

Also makes buying a different aircraft a little trickier, can't just fly the new bird home and then change the policy... but who in their right mind does that anyway? A phone call takes care of that. No plans to buy anything different anyway.

Other stuff we don't do is "smooth" coverage mainly because we all have additional coverages that handle that. The medical amounts are a fairly low cap but what reasonable policy isn't these days? If one of us hurts someone the LLC probably folds anyway for various reasons. We're not regularly transporting supermodels and leaving the prop turning... so... It's a risk we can live with in our current circumstances.

So, $948 for the year, paid in full. (Some places will bill quarterly but also charge interest for that convenience). And I now have some "light reading" to do through the full policy looking for any general insanity... nothing non-standard seen yet. Just the usual insanity. ;)

Back