Insurance question

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
How does insurance typically deal with repair work that is tangled up with other maintenance problems? For example, say you have a not-in-motion claim for damage to a skin and something else is found while the estimate is being prepared - corrosion or other previous damage in the same area (but for...). Or a post-strike teardown inspection reveals a crank or bearings that were already out of tolerance. What if the simple repair to the damage claimed (only) will not return the aircraft to airworthy status due to the additional problems that may exist on the same major component?

And while I'm on the subject of insurance, is there a rule of thumb that insurers appear to use when deciding when to total an aircraft?

Please discuss :cheerswine:

If you have an insurance claim for fabric repairs because someone drove under your wing with their radio antenna extened and zipped you open like a sardine can.. the claim pays for the fabric repair. Opening up the repair and finding a structral problem not caused by the radio antenna (corrosion in this example). The insurance company does not pay, that is regular owner maintenance.

I do not thing the TDI for a prop strike would replace parts worn normally and not caused by the prop strike. The FAA and engine manufactures require a TDI for a prop strike. Owners get insurance for that. Can't really get insurance that covers normal wear and tear.

To get the airplane back to airworthy status, in either case comes out of the owners checkbook.

(I am not an insurance agent, but I have been through a few claims with club aircraft.)

I'm pretty sure the decision to total or repair is which one costs less. This is the big problem with over insuring a plane.

Joe

Back