Insurance Database

U

Unregistered

I've seen a number of references to the "insurance database" and "diagnosis codes" in these threads.

Is there any way for me to get access to my records in that database?

I want to be sure the database matches what I have reported to the FAA, and that the doctors have been reporting the same diagnoses to the insurance that they have been giving to me verbally.

Thanks.

MIB. Once a year you can get a free one. Just call (866) 692-6901 and answer some quesitons. It's not as interesting as you would be led to believe....

There's at least twenty "data geeks" here on PoA who are dialing that number now. Haha.

I requested my file. According to Wikipedia, MIB refuses to release the codes it uses, which will make the file useless. Also, MIB's website specifically refers to individual insurance, not the group insurance most employers provide. Perhaps that's just a difference in terminology. In any event, the report will take up to 3 weeks to arrive, so I won't know more until then.

Can anyone (Dr. Bruce?) confirm that this is the database the FAA uses to investigate a pilot's history? MIB states they keep records for only 7 years (like a credit bureau), and I would think the FAA would want to look back past that.

Thanks.

Man. The extent that some people will go to to conceal a history....first find out if it's discoverable, then be offended if they didn't think it was discoverable and was, and they lied about it....as in, "can I just lie about imitrex?". Sure you can, until you get caught.

I recently had a 20+ in here who asked me outright, "what do I have to put in the boxes to get the desired result?

I'm all for an intelligent approach, but it's just sooo much easier just to have a clean past....that means report it well docuemented and get it vetted (letter of eligibility). The agency's farthest lookback that I was involved in was about 16 years. At they point they just subpoena the doc's records.

Last edited:
I think I was curious about MIB too but that was when I was shopping for health insurance and wondered why in the heck I was DECLINED and then I appealed and was DECLINED again back in my 20's with a big HMO here. I had no diseases, had no medicine, no kids, nothing. And they don't have to tell you why. I was trying to save money by shopping for plans since I had COBRA from a previous job. It was lame and I still don't know what happened. I tried to get my "record" and the phone number / website didn't give me anything. I think it hung up on me?

The most interesting entry on mine was:

"...a 3 code symbol which translate as follows: Aviation-pilot or regulaar crew member of conventional aircraft, helicopter, or glider....blah...blah...blah..."

Very little medical info though....

It's managed like a credit report. It's not really uncommon to have incorrect or even somebody else's info there. Very worth checking and making corrections if appropriate...

Man. The extent that some people will go to to conceal a history....first find out if it's discoverable, then be offended if they didn't think it was discoverable and was, and they lied about it....as in, "can I just lie about imitrex?". Sure you can, until you get caught.

I recently had a 20+ in here who asked me outright, "what do I have to put in the boxes to get the desired result?

I'm all for an intelligent approach, but it's just sooo much easier just to have a clean past....that means report it well docuemented and get it vetted (letter of eligibility). The agency's farthest lookback that I was involved in was about 16 years. At they point they just subpoena the doc's records.

What in my comments makes you think I am trying to conceal something? This is my first anonymous post here, so please don't confuse me with others who have posted anonymously.

I have never concealed anything on my medical applications. But, I recently discovered that a doctor who told me "it's nothing, don't worry about it" reported something more serious on the insurance claim, either in error, or so he could get paid more. So now, I want to see what other doctors have been reporting, so I can make corrections, and inform the FAA if necessary. I don't want there to ever be any reason for the FAA to believe I falsified something.

The wonderful thing about anon posting is that I can never tell who is whom. But usually a flurry of activity accross a couple of threads, corresponds to the same guy on two/three webboards who is doing exactly what I imply.

More power to you if you are totally legit. I think the insurance reporting system is el-steenko but what can you do?

This would be much easier if we were dealing with reasonable people.

I requested my file. According to Wikipedia, MIB refuses to release the codes it uses, which will make the file useless. Also, MIB's website specifically refers to individual insurance, not the group insurance most employers provide. Perhaps that's just a difference in terminology. In any event, the report will take up to 3 weeks to arrive, so I won't know more until then.

Can anyone (Dr. Bruce?) confirm that this is the database the FAA uses to investigate a pilot's history? MIB states they keep records for only 7 years (like a credit bureau), and I would think the FAA would want to look back past that.
Just received the "report". It's a form letter that says I don't have a file. According to the letter, MIB does NOT track group insurance -- the type most of us obtain through our employers. Only individual insurance.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back