Instruments, Anyone?

RossFischer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flyin Fisch
Not the round things, the things that make music. Is anyone bringing a guitar, banjo (Scott!), accordion, djembe, harmonica, kazoo, cowbell to Gaston's?

I'll bring my Cajon if there's anyone else that's interested in playing some tunes. B)

(for those of you who have no clue what a Cajon is...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd0OmmRIzO0)

I think Leslie's thinking of bringing an optical instrument (aka telescope), though she may bring an electronic keyboard, too. We have more room in the 210, though the payload is the same.

Depends on how much room we have. We might be extending our vacation and heading over to Memphis for a few days of blues, Stax Records, and fried Chicken at Miss Polly's.

i could play some simple trumpet (its been a few years) or piano ( a few more years)

I played Violin for 16 years....don't have one anymore though. If anyone happens to bring one along....

-Felix

You guys are gonna antagonize the resident peacocks to no end...

Hey I went to the UW Marching Band Spring concert last night, and they were featuring Matt Pender (trumpet player from Conan's band), and Nat Mcintosh an amazing Tuba Player. I just had to share this video of Matts.

This is all one guy on a sousaphone!

Pete

If we're going to play, we should probably pick out a few charts to play ahead of time. Any ideas? Personally I enjoy playing jazz, specifically swing since the lead trumpet parts are pretty sick, but whatever you all want works for me.

If we're going to play, we should probably pick out a few charts to play ahead of time. Any ideas? Personally I enjoy playing jazz, specifically swing since the lead trumpet parts are pretty sick, but whatever you all want works for me.

Well, chances are we may end up just having to do an improv jam session anyway - But I can play just about anything, so I don't really have any suggestions yet.

Does she play old time?

If we get a fiddle, my banjo, and a guitar we can do a few old time songs.

She hasn't played in about 20 years but still has it in the closet. We even got it tuned up and had new strings put on it a couple years ago. :D

I think I'll bring my silver plated Bach Bb, and maybe a few mutes to play around with. The other Bb I have is a piece of junk that I just use for marching band and other outside gigs like patriotic parades (it has a blue lacquer finish).

Looking forward to blasting a few notes with the rest of the gang.

I'll gladly bring my Fender Strat... provided someone else who knows how to play it wishes to use it. :)

I've got a full-size electric church organ in my house, but I don't think that will fit in the Archer...

Man, I wish I was coming. I could bring one of my guitars or my euphonium. Kent- I didn't know you played the euph too! I knew I liked you for a reason!

Oh I missed that. Why aren't you coming?
Yeah, I said something in some other thread. The girlfriend's grandparents invited us to join them at a resort near Austin that weekend, so we're going to that. They're picking up the tab, so it makes for a much more affordable weekend. Thank you again for the offer of a ride, Felix, that was very generous of you. Hopefully I'll be able to make it up next year.

Man, I wish I was coming. I could bring one of my guitars or my euphonium. Kent- I didn't know you played the euph too! I knew I liked you for a reason!

All hail the power of Euphage! :goofy:

Man, that really sucks that you can't come. We need another brass-head. :yes:

So, I have a few suggestions:

* Stars and Stripes Forever (Jason, do you know the piccolo part?) - Or not. :dunno:

* Watermelon Man - should be a good way to get everyone involved. Easy head, then just take turns jammin'.

* I want to see Pete's arm fall off, so I suggest Rolling Thunder. :D (You ever play that, Pete?)

So it sounds like we have about 5,000 guitar players along with three brass and one banjo. I'm not familiar with anything written specifically for that instrumentation. ;)

So it sounds like we have about 5,000 guitar players along with three brass and one banjo. I'm not familiar with anything written specifically for that instrumentation. ;)

Don't forget adding in the pipe organ, if you want to truck mine down there! Hmm... anyone got a Cessna Caravan they want to loan me for the trip? :D

I love listening to Swing!!!!!!!!!!

Does she play old time?

If we get a fiddle, my banjo, and a guitar we can do a few old time songs.

I Have an Alverse (sp?) Acoustic Gutair but my repitore is limited to "twinkle twinkle little star" so if someone else is intreseted in playing it...

I Have an Alverse (sp?) Acoustic Gutair but my repitore is limited to "twinkle twinkle little star" so if someone else is intreseted in playing it...
Karen is thinking of bringing her acoustic as well. She plays along with me and also do the blues. So far I have not been able to come up with any great banjo blues riffs. But I have been learning bass to play along with ehr but am not bringing it to Gastons.

If I get the chance to brush up on remembering a few chords and such I might bring the Fender to be able to play some sort of background bits to acompany anyone who actually knows how to play. :)

Not the round things, the things that make music. Is anyone bringing a guitar, banjo (Scott!), accordion, djembe, harmonica, kazoo, cowbell to Gaston's?

I'll bring my Cajon if there's anyone else that's interested in playing some tunes. B)

(for those of you who have no clue what a Cajon is...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd0OmmRIzO0)

And then there was this one time, at Gaston's Band Camp....

attachment.php

Attachments

• bandcamp.jpg
    bandcamp.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 73
I was wondering about this at dinner... haven't heard anybody playing instruments!

We got so wrapped up in the movies (I brought my trumpet out and didn't get to play either) and was still pretty beat from the previous day's trip out. Sorry.

Back