Instrument Written - Reverse Calculate CAS from TAS

I took it in May (95%), and I never used my E6B once. Are you talking about the practice tests?

If you are good with an E6B it's actually much faster and easier than electronic devices in most cases. What can be lost is precision, but it's still precise enough for our purposes.

I guess I wasn't clear. There were no questions on the test which required anything more than a calculator. Even though I studiously re-learned how to use the silly thing.

I guess I wasn't clear. There were no questions on the test which required anything more than a calculator. Even though I studiously re-learned how to use the silly thing.

A random sampling of 60 questions out of almost 1,000 doesn't prove anything. Unless the FAA has made an announcement that the types of questions OP is talking about have been removed, I would assume they're still in there.

A random sampling of 60 questions out of almost 1,000 doesn't prove anything. Unless the FAA has made an announcement that the types of questions OP is talking about have been removed, I would assume they're still in there.

I think they randomly pick questions for each subject, but ensure that each category is covered by a requisite number of questions. That's why I asked the OP if he was referring to the actual test, or practice tests. I'm curious if other recent test takers had the same experience I had regarding the E6B.

Not being sarcastic... what is a practical application of this question? When would I need / want to do this?

The FAA did some test rewrite in June this year for instrument and private pilot written (might be more but I know of those two). It was suppose to make the questions more scenario and realistic based and worded differently to avoid just memorizing questions.

When I took my instrument written, a few months ago, I scored a 70 (Rushed to study before school xD), but before the test I took 2 practice tests of the old version and got a 97% on each, and I also practiced questions on my trouble topics, and got a 92% average. What ever they did, it made it harder than the practice questions in my opinion.

An 83 will certainly pass, but personally I would want a larger buffer zone.

Not being sarcastic... what is a practical application of this question? When would I need / want to do this?

If the OP is talking about a question like the one below this flight plan, I've wondered the same thing. I guess it leads to an indicated airspeed that will provide the intended TAS?

CAS_from_TAS.jpg

Questions like this where the FAA expects you to work "backward" can be done "forward" using trial-and-error on each answer choice until you find the correct one.

It's funny... I've already forgotten how to do this. Lol.

Watch it be first thing I'm asked in my oral lol

Good question (yours, not theirs :D ).
I think it is just an artificial one. Or as they say "a solution looking for a problem".
Normally you know your indicated in cruise and just need to calculate TAS for the form. Not the other way around.
If you care to call the FAA and ask, please do let us know what answer they give you, I would be really interested.

I put the written off until the end of the training for this very reason... there's a bunch of stuff I know I'll never need to know ever again, but will probably be on the written AND oral. So, I'm going to upload it all, barf it back on the written and recite it like a good little instrument student in the oral and then laugh as it expires out to be replaced by the latest episode of The Black List.

Good question (yours, not theirs :D ).
I think it is just an artificial one. Or as they say "a solution looking for a problem".
Normally you know your indicated in cruise and just need to calculate TAS for the form. Not the other way around.
If you care to call the FAA and ask, please do let us know what answer they give you, I would be really interested.

Yep, that's why I hate the question. How in the world would this be practical? The only thing I can see is that it is a solution looking for a problem just to prove you know what the concept is.

Back