Instrument written endorsement

FredFenster

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Greg L
Does the endorsement to take the instrument written need to be given by a CFII or can a CFI do the endorsement?

Does the endorsement to take the instrument written need to be given by a CFII or can a CFI do the endorsement?

I sought a self-study endorsement from my school just a few weeks ago, and I specifically had to meet with one of the few CFIIs.

Ok, follow up question if it has to be a CFII's endorsement.. If the CFII who gives the endorsement is also a DPE, can you eventually use that DPE for the practical exam?

61.65 requires that an "authorized instructor" sign you off for the written. A CFI without IA on their instructor certificate is not an authorized instructor for the instrument rating, so they couldn't sign you off.

However, an Instrument Ground Instructor could sign you off. If the CFI also has IGI they could (I was one of those for a couple of months myself).

For that matter, anybody with an IGI could sign you off, wouldn't even have to be a CFI or pilot at all!

Also many of the training software packages will emit the signoff for you as well.

Not necessarily, I did the Sportys Instrument course and after passing the mock test 3 times with more than 85% (if I remember this correctly) I got an endorsement to take the exam.

Not necessarily, I did the Sportys Instrument course and after passing the mock test 3 times with more than 85% (if I remember this correctly) I got an endorsement to take the exam.
I'll bet that endorsement was signed by an instructor (probably CFI, maybe GI) with an instrument instructor rating.

In what form does that come? I assume an email or webpage that you print out? Are you required to stick/glue it into the pilot logbook?
Curious since I will be taking my IR written soon.
Thanks.
Lou

Ok, follow up question if it has to be a CFII's endorsement.. If the CFII who gives the endorsement is also a DPE, can you eventually use that DPE for the practical exam?

Or a IGI or AGI :wink2:

The king programs email you a print up to bring in.

In what form does that come? I assume an email or webpage that you print out? Are you required to stick/glue it into the pilot logbook?
Curious since I will be taking my IR written soon.
Thanks.
Lou

I have never had an endorsement for a written in my logbook. It's always been given (or printed) to me as a separate certificate I give to the testing center (or in the case of my Private back in the day...the guy in the GADO office).

ASA test prep gives the endorsement for the test once you score above a minimal level.

Or a IGI or AGI :wink2:
IGI, yes. AGI, no. The Advanced rating does not include instrument privileges.
(b) A person who holds an advanced ground instructor rating is authorized to provide:
(1) Ground training on the aeronautical knowledge areas required for the issuance of any certificate or rating under this part except for the aeronautical knowledge areas required for an instrument rating.
(2) The ground training required for any flight review except for the training required for an instrument rating.
(3) A recommendation for a knowledge test required for the issuance of any certificate or rating under this part except for an instrument rating.

Thanks everyone, I was thinking about doing one of the online programs anyhow, this might steer my choice to one of them. I had (well, still have I guess) a subscription to the sheppard air program but the mindless memorization of questions and diagrams just to pass the test isn't my thing..

Thanks everyone, I was thinking about doing one of the online programs anyhow, this might steer my choice to one of them.
The Jeppesen on-line program is more interactive than most, and it sounds like that's more your style. And yes, upon successful completion, they provide an endorsement signed by a CFI-IA.

I'll bet that endorsement was signed by an instructor (probably CFI, maybe GI) with an instrument instructor rating.

Had to take a look, and yes you are correct.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 18
IGI, yes. AGI, no. The Advanced rating does not include instrument privileges.

Indeed, I need to stop perusing these boards when I'm half awake lol.

Back