..Instrument training

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I've decided that I really need to quit screwing around and start my instrument training. I think the first step would be to knock out the written which I'm sure I can do pretty quickly.

I'm looking for the most cost efficient way to pass the instrument written test. I really do not want to spend two or three hundred dollars on a video course.

Any suggestions?

jangell said:
I've decided that I really need to quit screwing around and start my instrument training. I think the first step would be to knock out the written which I'm sure I can do pretty quickly.

I'm looking for the most cost efficient way to pass the instrument written test. I really do not want to spend two or three hundred dollars on a video course.

Any suggestions?

You could get the Gliem book with its Q&As, it's always been great, I've found.

Gleim Online $99.00 and they guarantee you will pass or money back or they send you a tutor.

I'd start with either Bob Gardner's "Complete Advanced Pilot" (which covers Commercial, too) or Bill Kershner's "Instrument Flight Manual" (the first edition of which got me through my instrument written, as it was then called; the sixth edition is current). Then get the Gleim test preparation book to test your knowledge. That's probably the cheapest effective way to pass the knowledge test.

I strongly recommend against going strictly with a test prep system like the Gleim on-line. Yes, you'll pass the test, but your true knowledge level will not be where it needs to be to prepare you for the flight training and the oral portion of the practical, so your instructor will have to spend a lot more ground time with you -- and you can several books for the same cost as a couple hours of one-on-one ground instruction.

Last edited:
Ron Levy said:
. . . Bill Kershner's "Instrument Flight Manual" (the first edition of which got me through my instrument written, as it was then called; the sixth edition is current). Then get the Gleim test preparation book to test your knowledge. That's probably the cheapest effective way to pass the knowledge test.
Sound advice. Kershner's book - first edition - a copy of the regs, the AIM, and the Jepp introductory material taught me everything I needed to know.

In the old days, when I took the exam the FAA did not publish the questions.

Good lukc.

jangell said:

Any suggestions?
I think you are wise to get your IR. Don't forget occasionally to "screw around" and have some fun, though.

My recommendation is to read lotsa books and add an extra hour of ground now and then to supplement your study. Don't wait until you are done with all of the books to start training, though.

Then, use the Gleim CD and knock the test off.

Kershner and Gardner are pretty good. Avoid the Trevor Thom book.

Welcome to the club of IR pilot wannabes!

Just got back from 2hrs of approaches with Tony. Yeeeehawww.. BRAIN FRY!

I'm using Kershner's book and the Jepp Manual, and NOW I will use Ed's 'examsforpilots.org' site - nice! I have Rod Machado's IR book, but I find that it's a bit too deep in humor to get into the raw data like I want at this point. I may end up reading through it POST IR training when I'm not freaking out about making sure to absorb all possible info.

Just my .02...

-Chris

I agree with Ron. Kershner and Gleim got me through the written. I have picked up the Machado IFR survuval Guide in the mean time, and there is some good info in there as well.

Pete

The gleim and jepp books are good, along with practice tests of whatever your favorite flavor is. When you get stuck on a concept or specific area, you will call me or IM me anyway and get it figured out. will end up being pretty cheap for you.

One of the most valuable things I used was the Gleim audio CD. Fairly cheap ($35-40 IIRC), and I'd just let it drone away while driving or doing something else. I actually ripped all the CD's onto my computer so I could put the stuff on my iPod and listen to instrument stuff everywhere.

Got a lot of books, none really helped that much on the written. The Dogan book helped immensely with the flying portion though, and the Machado book was a big help as well.

CFI: What are the most important two things in flying?
Student: Uh, never eat at the airport restaurant, and always reconnect the Hobbs meter when you're done with the plane?
CFI: *smacking student* The next two things. :)

Sporty's still has the study buddy free on it's website too. I used the Gleim in combination with the study buddy and practice tests until I was shooting 90 plus every time. Then get a sign off and go take the test.

Jim G

jangell said:

Any suggestions?

I used Ground School from Dauntless-soft $30 USD. I did buy the FAA test booklet rather than printing out the charts from the application. It's study modes, and simulated test complete with the computer format for which one might use (like CAATs).

I did very well on the written test and I don't test well so I was pleasantly surprised. They have a demo version for free download. Oh yeah, updates for free after purchase. I run thru the "Most Crucial" every once in a while just to keep my head in the game. Pretty good study for IPCs too.

You have to realize that the results of your written exam will expire, so don't take the test too early unless you are certain that you'll get throught the training in time. I waited to take my IRA written until I was a bit closer to the checkride. Plus, it's nice to have that fresh in your mind when you sit down with the examiner.

Good luck bro. The instrument rating was the funnest or me. It was also the most challenging. But it opens so many more opportunities in the flying world.

larrysb said:
I sort of disagree. Depends on the person. I used the Gleim software, Bob Gardener's book, the FAR/AIM, the FAA instrument flying books and a ASA book that cross-ref'd all the test questions to their FAA subject codes and a section to look them up in.

It tooka couple of weeks worth of evenings to plow through the entire 700 questions. Anything I didn't know the answer to, I looked up in the x-ref, then hunted around for the relevant answer in the FAR/AIM or the other books.

I wound up learning more that way. I even figured out that a few of the FAA test bank questions were bogus and had NO correct answer.

Like I said, it depends on the person. Sitting around watching the King's on video just won't work for me. I tend to absorb information more readily when I have to read into it and nail the answer.

Must have worked, I got a 93 on the test.

If nothing else, I showed up for the oral part of the checkride knowing where to find the answers. :)
FWIW, I tend to go with Ron on this one. While the method you used can give you a good basis in those areas that are actually tested, you are relying on the test designers to provide questions in every area that you need to know. Even with a 700 question test bank, the coverage isn't going to be perfect.

Now you'll increase your chances of knowing what's required for safe flight by using them as a springboard and reading around the in the area , but what happens is that you come across the information in a rather haphazard manner, rather than in a coherent structured manner. This isn't the most efficient way to learn. That's not to say that you can't make it work, just that I wouldn't recommend it. Remember, the goal isn't to know what's required for the test, but to know what you need to know when you actually get up there in the clag.

My textbooks were:
  • Jeppesen's Instrument/Commercial
  • The Complete Advanced Pilot by Bob Gardner
  • Rob Machado's Instrument Pilot's Survival Guide
  • FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook
  • Weather Flying by Robert Buck

I test poorly, so I practiced a lot using the Dauntless-Soft Ground School. What I liked about their software, is when I got a question wrong it had the FAA codes plus references to look up the answer as well as an explaintion right in the software. So I could go back thru my textbooks and study the sections that I wasn't performing as well as I wanted to.

larrysb said:
I sort of disagree. Depends on the person. I used the Gleim software, Bob Gardener's book, the FAR/AIM, the FAA instrument flying books and a ASA book that cross-ref'd all the test questions to their FAA subject codes and a section to look them up in.
Since you used far more than just the Gleim test prep system, I do not think your experience is relevant to those who use just test prep software, and in fact, tends to support what I said.

The videos tend to bore me. I'll try to watch them. But more than likely I will be going through the seven hunrded questions brute force style.

Jesse,
You should take ron's and others advice and LEARN the material instead of trying to just memorize questions to pass the written.

Mark B

markb5900 said:
Jesse,
You should take ron's and others advice and LEARN the material instead of trying to just memorize questions to pass the written.

Mark B

I do plan on learning the material. There is a reason they release the question pool. The reason is that if you know all of the answers to the questions you know the material as the questions are the material that you are expected to know. Or at least that is the general theory behind releasing the questions of a test. If the test is well written it won't matter.

As far as learning the materials I will not really have an issue with that. I like to know everything about everything if you haven't figured that out yet.

I threw the kitchen sink at the test -- King DVD's included. If nothing else, I love learning about flying. I have to second (or 3rd or 4th...) Ron's suggestion to LEARN the material though. Book larnin' is great, but for instrument flight you really need to know WHY you need to do something, not just WHAT you need to do. Gleim, I think, is second to none for test prep. However, I was very concerned about understanding the concepts, not just knowing the answers.

Besides the King prep course, which is clearly not for everyone, I used:

- Dogan's book (came with my PIC course), which is a great practical text. That is, how IFR really works, not just theory.
- ASA's "Instrument Flying" - I found it an excellent textbook on IFR theory
- "Instrument Flying" by Richard Taylor - a good practical text
- "Weather Flying" by Buck - not so much for the test as for better understanding of weather.
- The two FAA pubs, "Instrument Flying Handbook" and "Instrument Procedures handbook."

I used the King course, the ASA text, and the the FAA pubs for test prep, Dogan, Taylor and Buck's books for "real-world" perspectives. In the absence of the King course, I would recommend the Gleim book for pure test prep. $ for $, I think it is the best value out there.

flyersfan31 said:
- Dogan's book (came with my PIC course), which is a great practical text. That is, how IFR really works, not just theory.
I agree, and I strongly recommend it as a flight training workbook, but I don't recommend it as a study tool to pass the knowledge test. Use it appropriately.

jangell said:
I do plan on learning the material. There is a reason they release the question pool. The reason is that if you know all of the answers to the questions you know the material as the questions are the material that you are expected to know. Or at least that is the general theory behind releasing the questions of a test. If the test is well written it won't matter.

As far as learning the materials I will not really have an issue with that. I like to know everything about everything if you haven't figured that out yet.

That is the crux of a proper IFR training attitude right there and with that approach, you can't help but succeed in the FAA written material.

I did it the way you are suggesting Jesse. Just do the brute force to memorize the questions to the test. The test is written poorly in my opinion. However, I dont want to re-write it personally, so I should keep my mouth shut. I got the real books later (that everyone is suggesting) and studied my butt off to learn as much as I could. Gosh I bought like six instrument books but the Dogan is the one that I remember the most.

Good luck and just make sure you tell me when and where you start training. Just want to make sure my TCAS works before I get there. :)

Ahhhhhh -- you'll do fine. If you didn't have the right attitude, you wouldn't be hanging around POA. Good luck.

jangell said:

The "written" exams for pilot certification are not very difficult. Learning every answer to every question is a good thing to do, but it can't come close to helping you in the real world.

jangell said:

That's what we wanted to hear (and yes, I think most of us knew that). :yes:

larrysb said:
I can't imagine anyone using the test-prep program and absolutely nothing else.
I can, if only because I've seen it done, and it's not easy prepping someone like that for the practical test, which I've done.

King DVD set I got off Ebay for $60, and Pilot Practice Page
for a bunch of practice tests. Took about 3 weeks total and scored very well.
I want to keep the DVD's to review for the oral portion of the checkride, but after that, if you haven't gotten started yet, they're yours.

Back