Instrument training

As one who took their first flying lesson on Feb. 17, 1979, and finally passed my private pilot checkride on Dec. 31, 2001 (yes, it only took me 23 years), I made the decision that any rating after that would be an accelerated course. So for my IR I did a 2 week accelerated course and had that just 7 months later after taking 23 years to get my private.

So I vote for doing it on your vacation with an accelerated course. :D

Thanks

I don't think that anyone gets an instrument rating so that they can fly in clouds. My first question to a briefer is "What are the tops?" for that very reason. An instrument rating allows you to punch through a cloud layer(s) to clear skies above.

Having said that, I think that you should save your money and be the best VFR pilot around. If you don't have the time to stay proficient, the instrument rating can be a killer...leading you into situations beyond your capabilities and experience.

Bob Gardner

Thanks Bob, I was thinking along those same lines. At this point in my life, time to fly is a rare thing to come by. I'm averaging twice a month. So I think I'll work on improving my VFR skills for now.

Nothing against PIC or Ron but there is another option that would incorporate
your training into a fun filled IFR experience:

http://dsflight.com/eastcoast-ifr.html

Call Doug and see if this would work for you. I logged over 40+ hours
of IFR experience in 7 days.

Doug Stewart would certainly be a good option too.

It took me two written exams and three years to get my IR. Made 98% and 96%. The problem was not having enough time to fly under the hood. 1hour a week, maybe 2 at best.
Took PIC and. Had my IR rating in 6 days.
Terry

Having said that, I think that you should save your money and be the best VFR pilot around. If you don't have the time to stay proficient, the instrument rating can be a killer...leading you into situations beyond your capabilities and experience.

That's a good recommendation, although I have my IR but have not been current now for a couple of years (my current ride is not well enough equipped to be comfortable for me to fly in the clouds), but still don't regret the money spent obtaining it.

Well, from someone actually doing it right now, I'll say this: two weeks between lessons IS possible - that's what I'm a averaging - but realize that every lesson, you will take a few more minutes to get your precision back. Over time it will add a few hours to your overall training. As long as you keep on top of the theory between lessons by reading and re-reading at home, I think it's manageable.

No, I'm doing the same as you. I bought a used copy of the Jeppensen Intrument/Commercial book. Reading that for now

That book, in my opinion, is horrendous. I tried to use it the first time I took my instrument written and pitched it. Just about every other one I've seen is better (including the free FAA one).

Amen to that.

Much of my training last winter was at night. It gets dark early around here and flying after work was nigh flying. Maintained night currency without even trying.

I'm in trouble. Passed the IR ride on September 8, and September 11 was the last time I've touched the countrols of a powered aircraft. Too much travel this fall. Plan is to go fly the week after Christmas and drag my CFII along to see just how much I've forgotten. Less travel after the 1st of the year, so I should have a better shot at staying current.

I'm was in the same boat. Got my rating when I lived in FL and seldom had a chance to use (although got plenty of VFR in). But I am glad I got it for two reasons: first, as a non-IFR pilot I had no idea how much more knowledge and flying precision there was to the game and second, it's a huge confidence/safety boost. Even if you are not current, getting down through a layer you wandered on top of won't have the fear factor it might have had without the training and experience.

Back