Instrument Training: Jeppesen online course or Cessna Online Course

Rogerroger

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Roger Roger
Instrument Training: Jeppesen online course or Cessna Online Course?

Hi guys,

Finally ready to take my PPL to the next level and get my instrument rating. After countless internet seaches, just wanted to ask some advice.

I obtained my PPL before the days of online courses, and now there seems to be plenty of options. After a simple internet seach, I found the Jeppesen Online Instrument ground course. It sounds like it's a self paced study and they give you the endorsement to take the written after you finish the course. Figured that would be a great way to save money on ground with an instructor.

The local flight school offers the Cessna Online Instrument course, but I haven't heard much about this. I've seen the Private Pilot version of the course by Cessna and it didn't seem to have much substance really. Seemed like most of the lessons were not as informative as I would've liked and I'm a little hesitant to go that route. But the school is part 141 and follows your progress through the course, but seems like you would pay more for the ground school with an instructor this way.

Just wanted to get some advice from anyone that's used either system, what they liked and what they didn't like, and which you'd prefer (if any). Searched all over the internet and these forums but can't seem to find much info about either of them. Trying to get the instrument rating as economic as possible, but also want to learn the information well (not just to pass a test). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rog

Last edited:
Go for the king school, there is a reason it's the industry standard.

I've used it with my guys, it preps you for the written and 80% of the oral (the rest is up to your CFI), I've never had a failure with it...and I've had quite a few students.

Go for the king school, there is a reason it's the industry standard.
It is? Says who besides John and Martha? I teach instruments for a living, and the King program is used by less than a quarter of my trainees, maybe one out of six. In any event, I find a lot of folks can't sit and listen to them talk, and need a more interactive system. Many others do much better with a book. It's all a matter of individual learning style, and there are lots of different learning styles, so there really can't be any one "industry standard" program.

But I will say it certainly is the most popular program of its type. It's just that only a fraction of the trainees work best with that type.

Sorry for the monkey wrench, but the Kings are now also selling Cessna in competition with their own kit, not sure how or why but they are...maybe Cessna is paying well these days?..:rolleyes2:

thanks for all the input! it does seem like the cessna kit is the most popular these days, several of the local flight schools use it around here. from what i saw, it didn't seem the most informative. i'll see if i coud do some demo or something before i start though. i guess if i go 141, i'd have to do the cessna program. if i go part 61, i'd have more of a choice, so i'll see.

thanks again for the help

I believe their Cessna course is still King Schools, with Cessna logos all over.

I picked up Sporty's course, and while it's nice, graphical and so on, it's also the best cure for insomnia. I was on a train from Boston to NY, and 15 minutes in, I was out cold.

Now I have to find King Schools IR course cheap somewhere... They got me a 92% on my PPL written, hope to repeat that with IR.

I took the Jeppesen Online Course for the Instrument rating. It worked as advertised and the material was very thorough. My instructor has been pleased with the material I learned.

After I did the online course I also did the Dauntless training in prep for the written. It was simple to use on my tablet and definitely helped drill in the monotonous items.

Bill D.

Back