Instrument rating not legally required

poadeleted20

Deleted
Here's one for y'all...

My pal Charlie goes to his hangar, and pulls out his N-registered aircraft powered by two Lycoming O-540 engines. The weather is 300-1, so he files his IFR flight plan, picks up his clearance from ATC, and launches off into controlled airspace in the Continental USA. Charlie's FAA Commercial pilot certificate has no Instrument rating on it, but the flight is completely legal.

How can this be?

Does his private certificate have an instrument rating on it?

Does it look something like this?

Bell_429_N10984-600x403.jpg

is IR grandfathered into multi-comm? flying a blimp?

edit - bingo

(2) Commercial pilots with lighter-than-air category ratings. A person with a commercial pilot certificate with a lighter-than-air category rating may—

(i) For an airship —(A) Give flight and ground training in an airship for the issuance of a certificate or rating;

(B) Give an endorsement for a pilot certificate with an airship rating;

(C) Endorse a student pilot certificate or logbook for solo operating privileges in an airship;

(D) Act as pilot in command of an airship under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimum prescribed for VFR flight; and

It would seem he can fly under IFR in sub-vfr conditions but cannot carry passengers beyond 50nm or at night unless he has an instrument rating.

Last edited:
is IR grandfathered into multi-comm?
No.

flying a blimp?

edit - bingo
Yup. Airship.

It would seem he can fly under IFR in sub-vfr conditions but cannot carry passengers beyond 50nm or at night unless he has an instrument rating.
Not for someone with a CP-LTA-Airship. There is no such thing as an Instrument-LTA or Instrument-Airship rating -- full instrument privileges are included with the CP for LTA-Airship.
14 CFR 61.3 said:
(e) Instrument rating. No person may act as pilot in command of a civil aircraft under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR flight unless that person holds:
...(4) For an airship, a commercial pilot certificate with a lighter-than-air category rating and airship class rating.

Last edited:
This is how supervillains hide their dirigibles from prying eyes.

Well, even thought I was way off, at least I was on the right track thinking it was not an airplane :).

How much does Charlie pay to hangar that blimp?

How do you outrun a thunderstorm in a blimp?

I'm sure there is some sort of dump valve to get on the ground real quick.

Is this airship equipped to fly IFR?

He routinely gets complimented on the accuracy of his instruments, so he figures that's good enough.

State aircraft, as in Department of Natural Resources, Highway Patrol, etc?

Bob Gardner

How do you outrun a thunderstorm in a blimp?

You don't. You hope you can land somewhere before it gets there.

I'm sure there is some sort of dump valve to get on the ground real quick.

There is, but with the price of helium, not often a good idea.

Is this airship equipped to fly IFR?

Most are. I've done it, it's nothing like being IMC in an aircraft.

By flying away from it
Flying away from it is usually too late. Shouldn't have been flying in the first place

I don't think you need a commercial pilots cert to take home a blimp while wearing beer goggles.... (so long as your in a taxi(operated by someone sober, preferably you don't know) /walking, and the said blimp is not an aircraft.

Edit: the riddle had been solved, and I couldnt not walk through that WIDE open door!

It's all about useful load and good fuel management, just saying....

Back