Instrument Rating Knowledge Test

Maxed-out

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Maxed-out
Question: If the FAA has removed a particular topic area from the Instrument Rating Knowledge Test, can a pilot be confident that they won't be tested on that area when taking the checkride? Here's what I found on the FAA.gov website concerning changes being made to the Instrument Rating Airplane (IRA) Knowledge Test:

Instrument Rating Airplane (IRA) Knowledge Test
Questions in the following topic areas have been deleted:

• Tri-Color VASI
• Airport Surveillance Radar (ASR) approaches
• Composite Flight Plans
• Designation of instruments as “primary” or “secondary” for aircraft control
• Inner Marker • Middle Marker
• Specific number of degrees on glidepath
• Time and distance questions involving multiple interpolation

Previously reported:

• BARO VNAV (IRA ONLY)
• Back Course Approaches (IRA ONLY)
• LDA (IRA ONLY)
• Questions involving scalability (i.e., those questions requiring the use of nonstandard scales for measurement or calculation).
• Aircraft performance and weather questions that involve multiple interpolations across multiple charts.

When did they delete those? I took my IFR written about 2/3 months ago and I'm fairly certain had #2, #4, and #5 on my test. But I might just be thinking back to questions from my study guides.

As I understand it, the questions (if removed) should not be on the written, you are correct. It never hurts to prepare for them in case they ARE on the test though or if you actually plan on encountering any of those in the real world.

Just because "changes are being made", that doesn't mean they've BEEN made. So the test you take may still have those on there until the modifications have trickled down to all the testing vendors..

You might get the questions, but the computer in OKC will not grade the answers. Consider the logistics of changing all of the computer test supplements and test programs for every testing facility in the country.

Bob Gardner

I will give you the interpolation one, that sure is a joke. Small perf charts with a 5% reading error each and the answers are all 2% apart. LOL Always wondered who gets those right.

But if you don't know what an ASR is, you might want to read up on it, it could save your life one day. Same with BC approaches. (ever been to Aspen?)
Which is the whole point of educating pilots on so many different technologies for the instrument rating.
Knowledge gives you power and options. The last thing you want up there in the soup is to run out of options.

You can view the document I was looking at here:

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/whats_new_general.pdf

My question is more pointed at whether the DPE will evaluate a pilot on any of these topic areas during the checkride. Areas like ASR approaches, composite flight plans, primary or secondary instruments for aircraft control, all seem like relevant subject areas to me, but maybe not. Also the mention of "specific number of degrees on glidepath" is interesting. I have an idea what they might be referencing, but not sure. Back courses and LDAs are far and few between, but I think they exist also. Most CFIIs just say that whatever is in the PTS is all an applicant would be responsible for on the checkride.

What you are gonna be tested on for the checkride is spelled out in the PTS.

Back