Instrument Jumpstart

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Got this in the mail today, Thought I would share.
Maybe everyone got it in the mail.

So I am close to taking my written and knowing what I know now, for the same price I have spent on study materials, here is a 2 day course that is supposed to knock that out for you.

I went the study and learn everything route and now realize the exam is outdated and just a hoop you jump through.

And if anyone has a PIREP on it, chime in.

Hopefully some prospective IR fence sitters find this helpful.
Sorry for the blurry image, my camera has an astigmatism

attachment.php

Attachments

• irprep.jpg
    irprep.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 210
I went the study and learn everything route and now realize the exam is outdated and just a hoop you jump through.

Bingo:yeahthat:

I'm one of those that can't sit in a warm room listening to one guy talk for hours. I'd be asleep within the 2nd hour guarateed. For 1/10 the cost and about the same amount of time invested, Sheppard Air would do the trick.

Friend did one of these for the ATP and said they basically went through every question they could.

Bryan... There are additional sources for the weekend "cram" course... American Flyers is one. I did their PPL course and found it well done. Price included cost of taking the written exam.

If you want a full blown classroom ground school, reach out to Mike Montefusco, 817-735-5204, one of our senior FAAST reps for the D/FW area. His different WINGS seminars are very well constructed and presented, so I would extrapolate his ground school is the same. http://www.ppgs101.com/

What are you wanting out of this class? How to pass the written exam? Or something else?

If it is the former, save $350.00 and do SheppardAir, find 2 or 3 days to work their system (which is effective), get a passing grade on 3 of the practice exams, get the endorsement from Michael @ SheppardAir (a CFI-I), then call US Aviation and take the exam the next day.

I did this and was fine. Just working the SheppardAir system unlocked many bits of knowledge and understanding. And then when it came time to learn how to apply this knowledge in a practical sense, my CFII's (Ron Levy and Brandon Ayers) took care of that.

Like many things... it's easy to over think and over spend on this stage of flight training. But the best approach remains KISS. SheppardAir to pass the written, then work with a top CFI-I to gain the practical bits and additional knowledge is the way to go.

Can we do lunch or dinner soon? I'll show you bits and pieces that can help you, including a test taking tool from SheppardAir that was extremely helpful.

Last edited:
I don't want anything. I just got that in the mail and thought some others might be interested in doing it.

I am probably going to take the test soon (I am getting high 90s on all the practice tests) but everything is paused at the moment as I prepare for what is turning out to be a checkride in the new plane.

Short field landing in a SR22 is what I refer to as "impossible" so I am back in student pilot mode again until I can convince this CISP that if I ever am forced to land on a field < 7k feet, I will just use the chute :)

What is the short field procedure for an SR22? Curious.

Short field landing in a SR22 is what I refer to as "impossible"...
What are you using for final approach speed, and when are you slowing to that speed? My experience with Cirrus pilots is that they all fly the plane too fast on final -- and that this seems to be the way CSI's teach it, too. Of course, you'll never be getting an SR22 to land as short as a C-182, but you should get to being comfortable on a 3500 foot strip, and able to handle a 3000 foot strip without significant sweat, and I've flown an SR22T into KCGS Rwy 15 and made the second turnoff without standing on the brakes very hard. Nevertheless, the precision part of the short-field landing task should be your primary goal -- making the plane touch down exactly where you want it. If you can do that, and control speed on final, the landing runway length issues will take care of themselves.

Last edited:
What is the short field procedure for an SR22? Curious.
From the POH:

Short Field, Flaps 100% (V
REF) ....................................77 KIAS

Short Field Landing​

For a short field landing in smooth air conditions, make an approach at​
77 KIAS with full flaps using enough power to control the glide path​
(slightly higher approach speeds should be used under turbulent air​
conditions). After all approach obstacles are cleared, progressively​
reduce power to reach idle just before touchdown and maintain the​
approach speed by lowering the nose of the airplane. Touchdown​
should be made power-off and on the main wheels first. Immediately​
after touchdown, lower the nose wheel and apply braking as required.​
For maximum brake effectiveness, retract the flaps, hold the control​
yoke full back, and apply maximum brake pressure without skidding.

My experience is that the two most common mistakes pilots make doing short-field landings in SR22's are too fast on final, and using pitch rather than power to manage glide path (the latter often coincident with failing to trim properly for the desired final approach speed). Note that with the recommended short-field approach speed, you're going to be near the elevator nose up (aft stick movement) limit in the flare with just two aboard up front, or with the turbocharger or air conditioner installed, and maybe running out of elevator at touchdown when you combine those factors.

Last edited:
From the POH:

Note that with the recommended short-field approach speed, you're going to be near the elevator nose up (aft stick movement) limit in the flare with just two aboard up front, or with the turbocharger or air conditioner installed, and maybe running out of elevator at touchdown when you combine those factors.

Never heard this mentioned elsewhere. I did a 1hr checkout in a 22T and definitely ran out of elevator in the flare. It was a little surprising.

The two day course,teaches to the test,won't be very helpful on the oral,during the check ride.

I am probably going to take the test soon (I am getting high 90s on all the practice tests) but everything is paused at the moment as I prepare for what is turning out to be a checkride in the new plane.

Sounds like you need nothing else. Then just call your local testing center and schedule your test:

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/test_centers.pdf

Just find a CFI to give you an endorsement. Generally they like to see practice test results. Perhaps the CFI you're doing your training with will do that.

If you're an AOPA member you get $10 off the cost of the test.

If you studied and know the information, you will pass whatever test they give you.

Sounds like you need nothing else. Then just call your local testing center and schedule your test:

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/test_centers.pdf

Just find a CFI to give you an endorsement. Generally they like to see practice test results. Perhaps the CFI you're doing your training with will do that.

If you're an AOPA member you get $10 off the cost of the test.

Fortunately, the FBO where 6PC rents hangar space is also a Part141 school and can conduct the exam for him.

Back