Instrument instructor training material recommendations

Flyingfanatic

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Fanatic
All,

I'm getting ready to start my CFII training soon. It has been a long time since I have been current IFR (like pre-GPS approaches).

My plan is to get current IFR and then work on the instructor rating. I already have the Gleim book for the written, but I was wondering if any of you have an opinion on other books to study (outside of the PTS and the Aviation Instructors handbook)

I've looked at Rod Machados books on instrument flying but what else is out there that would be good?

All,

I'm getting ready to start my CFII training soon. It has been a long time since I have been current IFR (like pre-GPS approaches).

My plan is to get current IFR and then work on the instructor rating. I already have the Gleim book for the written, but I was wondering if any of you have an opinion on other books to study (outside of the PTS and the Aviation Instructors handbook)

I've looked at Rod Machados books on instrument flying but what else is out there that would be good?

There is a lot of good info on YouTube.

The instrument instructor written is easy...same test as the instrument rating only with 50 questions instead of 60. The FAA has been adding questions lately on icing and regulations and procedures pertaining to GPS so brush up on those two topics.

For the oral/checkride (and real world), make sure you study the Instrument Flying Handbook, relevant parts of the AIM, enroute and approach charts, DP's and STARs, and to a lesser extent the Instrument Procedures Handbook. Practice the spiel you will use to teach instrument scan, holding entries (important because it's a challenging topic to teach), approaches, briefings, checklists, etc.

Study for Syllabus creation? Study to learn the newer GPS's?

The FAA materials cover the basics of a generic GPS approach well enough.

For Syllabus creation keep it generic. I did one lesson for each of these types of approaches, and like to teach them in this order. Non Precision, Precision, and then GPS. Mainly because GPS could involve a lot of button pushing, and they will try to stare at the map if you introduce it first.

Learning the equipment is going to require studying that particular unit and flying with it (or a really good sim). Garmin also has GPS simulators available for download. Every plane you train in will be a little different, after a while you will know how to work the more popular GPS's.. Do yourself and your student a favor, and figure it out before trying to teach it :)

I have sat on the ramp with the GPU hooked up, and a manual a few times...

And don't write your syllabus showing approaches as the 1st lesson you will teach :)

Learn the IFH and IPH cold, along with Aviation Weather and Aviation Weather Services. And, of course, all the relevant sections of the AIM (the ASA version of the FAR/AIM has a good listing of which sections those are), plus the relevant Part 61 and 91 regulations (also listed in the ASA version of the FAR/AIM).

And yes, it's a lot to learn.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll check out the ASA Far/aim. I already have the Instrument Flying Handbook and the Inst. Proc. Book.

Any other tips or suggestions?

You can take practice written tests online at tests4pilots.com (I think that's it)... priceless tool for getting ready to take a $150 test. I can only remember back as far as when they used to be $80 a pop... Lordy pete....

Back