Instrument Flying Shotgun Style

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Flew the 170 up to Van Nuys yesterday. Went IFR due to the marine layer and it was the first time I've done any kind of serious IMC work in the airplane (other than a few approaches here and there through scattered or broken layers).

Let me just say that flying a shotgun instrument panel in IMC really makes you appreciate the standard 6-pack and modern avionics. Also gives you an idea what instrument flying was like back during WWII.

I was able to do it all (fly though the clouds while being vectored around the LA Airspace) well within PTS standards, but it was one heck of a higher workload than most of the IFR capable planes I've flown). Let's just say I would not have wanted to do that without a handheld GPS or at least an iPad (I use both).

Here is a photo of the panel:
iPad170.png

That not a photo of the panel, that's a photo of an iPad. How do you see your instruments or do you have an app for that?

That not a photo of the panel, that's a photo of an iPad. How do you see your instruments or do you have an app for that?
The only instrument that the iPad is blocking in the photo is the OBS 1. Everything else is along that top row. From left to right - ASI, Altimeter, AI, DG, TC and Tach. Comm radios and CDIs are on the lower left, Nav radios and Xpdr on lower right. Engine isntruments in the center.

When you are sitting, your point of view looks down over the iPad, so it doesn't effectively block anything.

That's an AI!! Oh man you're a brave man to take that into the soup!

Seriously, it looks like a ton of fun. Don't know if I'd trust myself in the clouds, but I'd love to play on a clear day in her.

I like the view limiting device. Where does the safety pilot sit?

Don't pick on that AI... I've got lots of hours with that exact model... In fact that is what I have on my panel now... It has reliably taken me through the murk and the full blown IMC stuff for many hours and many decades now... Seems like the guys with the new, fancy stuff seem to frequently have problems, and my beat up, vintage, (and big), AI just keeps on truckin...

When you are sitting, your point of view looks down over the iPad, so it doesn't effectively block anything.

My Cherokee is the same way. When I try to take pictures of my panel with the iPad in the yoke mount, it appears that most of the instruments are blocked. Sitting in the pilot seat you see everything clearly over the top edge of the iPad. Your airplane looks like it would be fun to fly.

Also gives you an idea what instrument flying was like back during WWII.

You mean without AN range legs, and with Ipads and GPS, of course...so in other words, nothing like flying during WWII. Probably not a lot of shooting going on, either.

The placement of that TC sure would make partial panel a hoot.

I was able to do it all (fly though the clouds while being vectored around the LA Airspace) well within PTS standards, but it was one heck of a higher workload than most of the IFR capable planes I've flown).
Wow. Very cool-- bet that was fun.

"Shotgun panel." That's a new term for me...but I think I've worked out what it means.

"A panel to which you should point and fire a shotgun and then install a new panel."

I have one of those in my Lancair right now :)

"Shotgun panel." That's a new term for me...but I think I've worked out what it means.

"A panel to which you should point and fire a shotgun and then install a new panel."

I have one of those in my Lancair right now :)
Close.....it refers to the haphazard placement of instruments. As if you could figuratively load all the required instruments into a shotgun and blast them into the panel. Where they land is where they stay.

Back