Instrument approaches-ADF/DME required

201Driver

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
201Driver
Since I do not have an ADF or a DME in my airplane, is it "legal" for me to do approaches where the procedures specifically requires a ADF or DME? Does a certified approach GPS satisfy these requirements.
Thank you in advance for your response.

Waiting for Ron to chime in here, but I believe that an IFR-certified GPS install can substitute for the DME or the ADF, unless the approach relies upon the ADF for primary course guidance and does not have a GPS overlay.

i think spike is right. Its in the AIM. Perhaps paragraph 1-2-3.

Actually, any IFR GPS (not just approach-certified) may be substituted for a required ADF or DME on an approach as long as you have a current database and you're not using it for lateral guidance on the final segment. So, you can't use it to fly an NDB approach which doesn't have "or GPS" in the title, or to fly the infamous VOR/DME or TACAN Z RWY 15 approach at Martin State (http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1004/05222VDTZ15.PDF), but otherwise it fills the requirement. AIM Table 1-1-6 refers.

So the Localizer approaches (8L 26R) into PUB both say, ADF Required, but with no ADF on board, the IFR GPS can define the LOM/IAF of MERTZ or ARUBA.

So the Localizer approaches (8L 26R) into PUB both say, ADF Required, but with no ADF on board, the IFR GPS can define the LOM/IAF of MERTZ or ARUBA.

Yes. Check AIM 1-2-3 as Tony mentioned in post #3. Here's a quote:

These operations are allowable even when a facility is explicitly identified as required on a procedure (e.g., “Note ADF required”).

Yes. Check AIM 1-2-3 as Tony mentioned in post #3. Here's a quote:

These operations are allowable even when a facility is explicitly identified as required on a procedure (e.g., “Note ADF required”).

I thought I made a statement to the affirmative... not ask a question that needed an answer. :mad2:

I thought I made a statement to the affirmative... not ask a question that needed an answer. :mad2:

Yes, Bill you certainly did. I apparently transposed the location of "can" and made it into a question. My apologies.

So in effect he expressed agreement with your opinion instead of answering a question. I don't see the problem. :confused:

Back