Instrument approach- So many ways

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Reading a few threads about Instrument approaches and I notice there are "opinions" on how to perform a specific approach. Are there ever midair conflicts regarding different techniques for an approach? I thought the purpose of the approach was to reduce traffic conflicts, considering everyone is following the same approach (each airplane having its own space at a defined time).

Help me make sense of what I am reading.

There may be many different places from which you could commence an instrument approach (called the IAF, Initial Approach Fix). The pilot can negotiate with ATC for which one to use, or ATC may dictate which one you will use. As well as ATC may give you vectors to the final approach course which means you don't need any IAF.

ATC should never clear more than one airplane for an approach in such a way that aircraft would come into conflict when initiating an approach.

Example, suppose 2 planes are heading to podunk airport and ATC cannot provide vectors to the final, then ATC will clear one plane for the approach and the other plane will get to hold somewhere until the first guy has cleared the area.

Many of the non-RNAV/GPS approaches begin with a track away from the airport and then a procedure turn back onto the final approach course. This means if there were multiple planes on the approach that some might be heading straight at each other.

When ATC is giving vectors to the final, they can stack multiple planes in trail on the same approach, with the assumption that no aircraft will ever be heading at each other.

Last edited:
That said, there are differences in technique as opposed to procedure. Those would include whether to do a regular PT, 80/260, teardrop, or racetrack course reversal when a barbed course reversal is depicted. Another would include when to change configurations from cruise to approach to landing. Still another might be whether to use "drop and drive" or a stabilized glide path on a nonprecision approach. However, from a procedural standpoint (e.g., what is the minimum altitude on a segment, how far out can you go on a course reversal, what equipment do you need to fly a particular approach or subset of an approach, etc.), there should be no differences in how different pilots handle it.

There may be many different places from which you could commence an instrument approach (called the IAF, Initial Approach Fix). The pilot can negotiate with ATC for which one to use, or ATC may dictate which one you will use. As well as ATC may give you vectors to the final approach course which means you don't need any IAF.

ATC should never clear more than one airplane for an approach in such a way that aircraft would come into conflict when initiating an approach.

Example, suppose 2 planes are heading to podunk airport and ATC cannot provide vectors to the final, then ATC will clear one plane for the approach and the other plane will get to hold somewhere until the first guy has cleared the area.

Many of the non-RNAV/GPS approaches begin with a track away from the airport and then a procedure turn back onto the final approach course. This means if there were multiple planes on the approach that some might be heading straight at each other.

When ATC is giving vectors to the final, they can stack multiple planes in trail on the same approach, with the assumption that no aircraft will ever be heading at each other.

:yeahthat:

If you're in a radar environment, ATC will keep all the planes clear of conflicts, so long as you comply with their clearance/the charted procedure. In non-radar, they should keep everyone well enough clear, either through altitude separation or vectors/holding well away from the procedure in use, that there won't be potential for conflict.

Of course if people start making up stuff to do in either radar or non-radar environments, there could be trouble. That's why it's always safer to ask for clarification or a different clearance if there's any room for doubt.

EDIT: Ron beat me to the response and I'd just like to state my agreement with him and expand that, as he mentioned there are several different techniques, but as long as you're doing your teardrop/80-260/PT/hold on the protected side and within whatever time/distance is specified in the procedure, technique shouldn't matter. ATC should have the airspace clear for you (assuming you're in IMC and all other a/c are participating properly).

Last edited:
Back